Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Why does my chorizo have preservatives in it?

Brainaddict

slight system overdrive
Why? :mad: I have sliced supermarket chorizo. It seems to be full of chemical preservative crap.

It's bloody cured meat! Which is then saturated in spices! And vacuum packed! And then kept in the refrigerator! Why in god's name does it need preservatives? What's wrong with it that they have to put preservatives in it?

Why? :mad: I have sliced supermarket chorizo. It seems to be full of chemical preservative crap.

It's bloody cured meat! Which is then saturated in spices! And vacuum packed! And then kept in the refrigerator! Why in god's name does it need preservatives? What's wrong with it that they have to put preservatives in it?

Depends what they are - don't forget that the meat curing process does actually involve preservatives, that's kind of the point ... and a lot of E-numbers are naturally occurring substances.

Define "chemical crap".

at some point i suppose you'll take it out of the fridge

Depends what they are - don't forget that the meat curing process does actually involve preservatives, that's kind of the point ... and a lot of E-numbers are naturally occurring substances.

Define "chemical crap".

Something like this: http://www.waitrose.com/shop/DisplayProductFlyout?productId=156559
Pork,salt, lactose (milk), paprika, corn dextrose, sugar, smoked paprika, milk proteins, garlic, paprika extract, acidity regulator sodium citrates, antioxidants sodium erythorbate and extract of rosemary, preservatives sodium nitrite and potassium nitrate, black pepper, oregano

Something like this: http://www.waitrose.com/shop/DisplayProductFlyout?productId=156559
Pork,salt, lactose (milk), paprika, corn dextrose, sugar, smoked paprika, milk proteins, garlic, paprika extract, acidity regulator sodium citrates, antioxidants sodium erythorbate and extract of rosemary, preservatives sodium nitrite and potassium nitrate, black pepper, oregano

Yeah, not exactly a chemical shitstorm is it? I'd be more worried about the fact that you're eating a meat product that has all the nutritional value of Lard.

The old fashioned way of making things like that was to smother them in saltpetre - which is explosive - and then hang them up the chimney. Cured meats were always full of things other than meat. We just know the chemical names of those other things now. And today's chemicals are made in factories with strict manufacturing protocols, rather than dug out of the ground/hacked off the walls of a cave, so I suppose the chemicals in your sausage now are less likely to contain bat dung and similar unknown stuff. :D

Back
Top Bottom