Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Why do I always, without fail, set off the scanners at the airport?

Not quite the same but I always, without fail, got my hand luggage swabbed when I entered Australia. Clearly something about me fits some kind of profile.

Not quite the same but I always, without fail, got my hand luggage swabbed when I entered Australia. Clearly something about me fits some kind of profile.

Although they say its random once you're on that list you appear to stay on it.

Although they say its random once you're on that list you appear to stay on it.
This is after putting your hand luggage through the x-ray machine. It's not at any point where they could link me to a passport so I'm sure I'm not on a list. It's just something they are looking for that fits me. Maybe lone traveller? They always say it's for explosives but I reckon it's drugs.

Unless they photograph me when I check in, relay that photo to the security bit and then stop me when I get there. I don't think that happens but I could be wrong.

Hmmm. I'm female. White. Middle aged. I can't imagine I fit any sort of suspicious profile.

I travel occasionally with a sports team (a national academy team) - get stopped. Travel alone - get stopped.

I just accept its going to happen now.

This is after putting your hand luggage through the x-ray machine. It's not at any point where they could link me to a passport so I'm sure I'm not on a list. It's just something they are looking for that fits me. Maybe lone traveller? They always say it's for explosives but I reckon it's drugs.

They do it at the gate, check your carry on, shoes and ask you a bunch of questions. Sometimes the nice staff let you board early - mostly you end up on the back of the queue.

As as been said the gates can be set up to give random false positives to keep the operators alert. Likewise, the X-ray machines will insert images of firearms or IEDs onto actual live baggage images. If the operators miss them it’s retraining and miss too many they are out. It’s mainly to keep the operators alert. After all most will work a full career and never find a real gun or bomb so it would be almost impossible not to occasionally lose concentration otherwise.

As as been said the gates can be set up to give random false positives to keep the operators alert. Likewise, the X-ray machines will insert images of firearms or IEDs onto actual live baggage images. If the operators miss them it’s retraining and miss too many they are out. It’s mainly to keep the operators alert.
The body scanners too. I've been shown the results of scans when I get pat downs and it's obvious through my t-shirt that I don't have whatever it is that is indicated strapped to my torso.
After all most will work a full career and never find a real gun or bomb so it would be almost impossible not to occasionally lose concentration otherwise.
Same reason you see them swap roles every N minutes. X-ray console operator changes places with loop frame/pat down/body scanner person. Staring at a screen of vague looking pseudo coloured randomly positioned and stacked objects is both tiring and ultimately boring. Fatigue sets in and they are more likely to miss items. Besides, like any 'VDU operator' they need to get away from the screen periodically.

Back
Top Bottom