Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Why do I always, without fail, set off the scanners at the airport?

felixthecat

are we there yet?
I honestly can't figure it out. Bra underwires of course might trigger it but I'd say the majority of women wear underwires. The last time I left Stanstead even the xray thing wasn't happy. I saw the areas of concern on the scan and it was around my waist and across my shoulders, not under my boobs. So I then had the hand held wand detector and a pat down. Twice.

So what the reason? I certainly wasn't wearing any metal other than the aforementioned underwires and earrings. No zip, no rivets, nada.

And its every time. Without fail.
:confused::confused::confused::confused:

Do you have any metal implants?

I know the scanners can pick up miscellaneous metal objects in clothes, such as rivets in jeans, so it could be something minor like that.

No metal implants. And I make a point of not wearing anything with rivets and such like.

I mean, it's not a huge inconvenience and I'm glad that we have the additional security. I'd just like to know why.

It's a millimetre wave scanner not x-ray (well in all European airports anyway).

The software throws in random false positives to keep staff awake, on their toes and test them. When I go through them they randomly flag areas of interest which really aren't - there's nothing there.

Likewise the pulse induction metal detection frames. They can be more sensitive sometimes but also throw in random false positives to keep staff alert.

It's a millimetre wave scanner not x-ray (well in all European airports anyway).

The software throws in random false positives to keep staff awake, on their toes and test them. When I go through them they randomly flag areas of interest which really aren't - there's nothing there.

Likewise the pulse induction metal detection frames. They can be more sensitive sometimes but also throw in random false positives to keep staff alert.
It's deliberate. I know border force people.

felixthecat, spotted earlier today.

Metal-Mickey-010.jpg

Me three.

Every single time. I’ve started to factor in the extra time these days.

And I don’t wear underwear of any kind. Even if I’m wearing a single dress, no shoes no jewellery no belt, it will bleep. And always at my shoulders.

Same happens me felixthecat.
Every single time.
My sister always goes through and is never checked but I always get stopped.
At first I thought it was my combat khakis and camo jacket * (true) but no. No matter what I wear I get stopped, scanned and my luggage is searched. One time I had a tiny little timber music box that had a metal mechanism inside. Security took 20 mins to decide that it was just a tiny music box. :facepalm:

* never wore that gear again while travelling :D

I don't like being held up while my valuables travel onwards in their little black plastic trays ready for just anyone to pick up and make off with.

I can remember being told to put my belt through the scanner and responding that my trousers would fall down, I did, and they did, just as I predicted :)

Fairly obviously, I suppose, they have to scan walking sticks and crutches. It’d be nice if they could substitute it with a temporary alternative till you get your own back, though.

I have smuggled recreational drugs inside me via airplane and ensure that I have no.metal on me. Plastic zips, shoe eyelets the lot. The metal detector doorway goes bleep. So I asked a border force mate based at Gatwick and she confirmed they have a manual ring ring button and use it.

I have smuggled recreational drugs inside me via airplane and ensure that I have no.metal on me. Plastic zips, shoe eyelets the lot. The metal detector doorway goes bleep. So I asked a border force mate based at Gatwick and she confirmed they have a manual ring ring button and use it.

Hmm.
So they just look at someone and decide on looks?
That's really disconcerting :eek:

Hmm.
So they just look at someone and decide on looks?
That's really disconcerting :eek:
That plus just making sure they pat down a certain proportion of passengers. 1 in 5 was mentioned and 1 in three if there is a threat awareness.

I get stopped on every other flight to the US for the extra security checks. I'm told it's random but has happened to me fives times in the last two years, out of just over a dozen flights.

Reminds me that traffic police in Gwent were rumoured to play snooker with their job, stopping a red car and then a black car etc etc but they usually had problems finding a pink :)

Almost certainly bollocks

Back
Top Bottom