Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Who remembers Jayday in Brixton and Brockwell Park, May 2003?

editor

hiraethified
Here's a load of photos from the march and free festival. Seems almost quaint to think of free music festivals taking place in the park now.

Jayday in Brixton, May 2003 - photos from the march and free festival in Brockwell Park

Jayday in Brixton, May 2003 - photos from the march and free festival in Brockwell Park

Was there just one? I have memories of going to several - I think!
The opening paragraph says

Startling life in Clapham Common in 1999, Jayday was an annual march and free festival for people to party and protest against the UK’s draconian cannabis laws.

From then until 2004, the peaceful protest attracted tens of thousands of people to the free festivals Brockwell Park (remember them?).

One started on Brixton hill and went to Clapham Common. One started in clerkenwell green. I think that one was the last one.

I remember it clearly! The parade went past the lido and the atmosphere was incredible! Aww what a joyful time.

When the sun came out last weekend I was thinking that I missed the Jayday festivals.

After a bit of Where's Wally?ing I found me-from-the-past in these two pics:

jayday-brixton-may-2003-15.jpg

jayday-brixton-may-2003-16.jpg

No I don't. I do remember the cannabis festival at Clapham Common in 1999. It was the next Saturday after the 3 far-right nail- bombings (Brixton, Brick Lane & the Admiral Duncan which were all on a weekend, a week apart) and remember thinking in my stoned and slightly paranoid state that we would be his next logical target 🎯 Thankfully we weren't. A good day from what I remember which is not a lot.

Back
Top Bottom