Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Which is better - hand baked or breadmaker bread

Which bread is better?

• Total voters
Hand-baked tastes better IME, but it's so time-consuming to make and breadmaker bread isn't at all bad.

Both of them are ten times better than crappy CBP 'bread.'

I'm sure that well made hand baked bread does taste better. But a lot of people really can't be arsed with the faff and would rather have some sort of home made bread and so have a breadmaker.

Hanfstaengl said:
Fresh is best

Both are equally fresh.

IME, breadmaking by hand is a black-art which you either can or can't do.

I also lack the iron-guts needed to digest the output of many a dedicated hand-baker (including my own! :oops: )so I'm quite happy to stick with my machine.

Mrs Miggins said:
I'm sure that well made hand baked bread does taste better. But a lot of people really can't be arsed with the faff and would rather have some sort of home made bread and so have a breadmaker.

exactly.

i have a practical choice of supermarket bread or breadmaker bread. i know which is better.

The breadmaker ‘fits in with my lifestyle’ – ie I can come back home after a night out, stagger round the kitchen drunk and throw the ingredients in the breadmaker for a nice crusty French loaf for the next morning. Nothing takes the edge of a hangover more than the smell of fresh baked bread wafting from the kitchen, and the accompanying promise of some crispy bacon, egg and a nice mug of tea.

Surely even the most committed hand-baker isn’t going to be mucking round knocking back dough at 2 in the morning!

I've been making a lot of bread recently. I've never used a breadmaker before but I'm starting to hanker after a food mixer with a dough hook. Bloody expensive aren't they? Apart from my soup-tastic stick blender everything else is done by hand...

Mrs Magpie said:
I've been making a lot of bread recently. I've never used a breadmaker before but I'm starting to hanker after a food mixer with a dough hook. Bloody expensive aren't they? Apart from my soup-tastic stick blender everything else is done by hand...

I like making bread by hand. i have a mixer with a dough hook but tend to prefer the daydreaming I do whilst kneading myself.

but, unlike you I am extremely lazy with other thing. I have even started chopping onions and grating cheese with my food processor. :D

That's the benefit of having a small child that likes to cook. When i need something grated, he does it for me.

toggle said:
That's the benefit of having a small child that likes to cook. When i need something grated, he does it for me.
I need to get one of those :D

Prefer hand baked bread... but breadmaker is easier due to time.

Zinedine* said:
I just can't really get to grips with my breadmaker :( It always seems to go wrong
You need to follow the measurements exactly, and use the cups and spoons that come with it.. my first few loaves were like bricks, but now it's all sorted.
Also quite like using it just to make dough, then do the last prove myself and bake in the oven, means I can make rolls and different shaped bread... quite lazy, but I can get on with other things at the same time

Zinedine* said:
but, unlike you I am extremely lazy with other thing. I have even started chopping onions and grating cheese with my food processor. :D
It's not about lazy, or otherwise, it's just doing things the way I always have done them. The stick blender revolution only happened because someone gave me one as a present. I'd never even considered one before. I've had quite a stiff shoulder for a while (time marches on) and kneading dough has literally become a pain.

Mrs Magpie said:

Are you coveting my KitchenAid, by any chance? :D

Nah, but I'm kicking myself for not realising I needed summat with a dough hook until after you gave away your old mixer!

Mrs Magpie said:
Nah, but I'm kicking myself for not realising I needed summat with a dough hook until after you gave away your old mixer!

'Twas just a blender -- no dough hook at all.

Whoops, I voted the wrong way :oops: Handbaked bread is definitely superior to breadmaker bread, but breadmaker bread is waaaaaay easier to make.

As I dont currently at the time of posting have a fully functioning kitchen

and as the old kitchen had an oven that overheated all the time handbaked ( ie dough made in breadmaker and then transferred) would always burn...

breadmaker made would always be reasonable

Shop bought bread is pap it melts and it isnt bread its CBP pap

So Im not going to vote just yet until the new kitchen and the breadmaker have shaken hands and had a competition.

Back
Top Bottom