Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

whatsapp to be banned 'within weeks'

I plan to counteract this law by sending all my messages in the form of gibberish.

* Awaits response along the lines of, 'no change there then' *

They've got no fucking chance of getting anywhere with this, banning ssl would pretty much destroy Internet commerce.

Telegraph seems to be pretty good according to this.

https://www.eff.org/secure-messaging-scorecard

Although iMessage seems to be best of the "mainstream" ones ( for values of mainstream which are highly debatable ! )

If they want your read your messages, they'll be trojanning your device and reading them from your sent items not decrypting your session ( which is dependent upon what app you use and quite hard work ).

Alex

Me neither! All these strange new things that people use. I just can't get my head round new things nowadays - I've turned into my dad. :(
My dad in his 70s couldn't get into the analogue mobile phone we bought him for emergencies. He found it such a pain to keep it charged, then he had to take his massive address book with him so he had the numbers of people he might want to call and finally the thing that killed it for him as a useful tool was that when he did once actually want to use it, there was no reception! :)

Mind you he was from the WWII generation, when you telephoned him he could sometimes imagine he was on his armoured car radio and would sometimes in response to the question how are you? simply respond, "fine out!" and hang up!

:D

My dad argues with me about the Apple ecosystem being a terrible walled garden etc etc.

tl;dr there will be no change to any of these systems you have never heard of.

A better tactic would be to encrypt everything. Make it so they don't know what's worth looking into :)

I used to carry around a notebook with everything written phonetically in Russian characters, in that hope that I might get arrested and the cops would spend several days trying to figure out that they were reading my shopping list, or the lyrics to Bohemian Rhapsody.

I used to carry around a notebook with everything written phonetically in Russian characters, in that hope that I might get arrested and the cops would spend several days trying to figure out that they were reading my shopping list, or the lyrics to Bohemian Rhapsody.
Sadly, it would go more like this

8clp48l.png

OK I've not read the link but scanned headlines earlier so my opinion is comprised of speculation...

It is bollocks.

Of course VPNs and encrypted storage won't be made illegal. That means back to the stone age for the economy. SSH, VPNs, TLS. Ban that... Goodbye digital world....

What I think they want is to legally ensure any company offering encrypted services in UK juristriction, is compelled to hold the encryption keys or agree to a backdoor. As an individual under RIPA as far as I know, you can be basically thrown in a dark hole if you don't relinquish encryption keys whilst under investigation. That approach isn't really phesible to take with CEOs.

Oh and it's still bollocks.

OH there were no headlines about this, not even in the register. It's poliiticcing bullshit. Not a technical proposal. The interwebs would be all over it if solid proposals existed.

Course, I should probably find a hat so I can eat it come the day... Come that day. It's back to the fields for anyone who has to do anything much on the internet. So you know... Hat's are safe for now.

Surely there are thingies where you have one password that decrypts and another password that deletes everything?

The password thing seems to go again the "right to remain silent". How can you go to jail for exercising something that you're told it's your right to do.

Apparently, the password thing and this are the only exceptions:
When a vehicle is alleged to have been involved in an offence, section 172 of the Road Traffic Act 1988, as amended by section 21 of the Road Traffic Act 1991[17][18] enables the police to require the vehicle's registered keeper, or any other relevant person, to provide information as to the identity of the vehicle's driver. A special warning is given indicating that refusal to do so constitutes an offence in itself.

I wonder how things would go if you couldn't remember your fifty character password? :hmm:

But if they do eventually figure out how to get into your laptop and they find your plans to blow up downing street you will go to prison for that as well.

You kind of have to assume that they only do this after exhausting all of the possibilities, and so short of an exploit becoming available for whatever he was using to encrypt his hard drive (Presumably something like truecrypt or the like), that's not going to happen.

You also have to wonder if there is some sort of national log of the cases which were blocked by crypto technology x and someone who keeps an eye on technology. While cracking truecrypt may be impossible now, in 20 years time your toaster will be able to do it in 3 seconds.

I suspect not, but if there is, this kid has ~75 years of looking over his shoulder to look forward to.

Alex

If you're interested in NSA-proofing stuff, the guide to doing it for SSH keys is a good place to start.
https://stribika.github.io/2015/01/04/secure-secure-shell.html

As I said on FB about a similarly speculative post:
This is terrible 'journalism'. There's nothing new in any of it (the article linked), and no specific mention of any of the provisions that are actually in the bill, because it's not currently before parliament, although it *will* be introduced later in the year, and it *will* be shit, this is just speculatory clickbait. Oh, and it'll probably be called the Communications Data Bill again.http://services.parliament.uk/bills/#i The bill absolutely has to be resisted, but there's no point in succumbing to hyperbole before we see whatever inevitable bullshit is in it, because caring fatigue.

Back
Top Bottom