Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What's the point in easy cook rice?

We had a discussion about cooking rice some time ago and *a prominent urbanite* shared the great difficulty he had with rice. Easy cook rice probably for people like him. Not naming names as it's wicked to mock the afflicted.

I had a very bad experience with the stuff a few years ago. I was making a chicken/rice oven baked thing and used easy cook rice. It doesn't soak up the sauce like normal rice so the dish turned out dreadful. Thin sauce and hard tasteless rice. Awful stuff. Typically this was a dish I'd cooked umpteen times but the first time for people coming round.

It is quite easy to fuck up cooking rice in a pan, but "easy cook" rice is not the solution, because it is nasty. The solution is a rice cooker. Actually even if you can cook rice reliably, a rice cooker still saves a hob and lets you forget about it.

It is quite easy to fuck up cooking rice in a pan, but "easy cook" rice is not the solution, because it is nasty. The solution is a rice cooker. Actually even if you can cook rice reliably, a rice cooker still saves a hob and lets you forget about it.
I'll put it next to the microwave, the kettle, the george foreman, the chopping board, the knife block and the tea (normal and herbal) and coffee (for emergencies), the washing up liquid and the juice. And the sugar. (note to self, don't ever fill that jar again, it's been there since November). And the meat thermometer and the oil one. We won't mention the mcvities digestives, goose fat, cheese grater and tub of sea-salt. They shouldn't be there but I've no place to put them.

I've got 4 hobs and no space.

I'll put it next to the microwave, the kettle, the george foreman, the chopping board, the knife block and the tea (normal and herbal) and coffee (for emergencies), the washing up liquid and the juice. And the sugar. (note to self, don't ever fill that jar again, it's been there since November). And the meat thermometer and the oil one. We won't mention the mcvities digestives, goose fat, cheese grater and tub of sea-salt. They shouldn't be there but I've no place to put them.

I've got 4 hobs and no space.
You've got space for a microwave??? and all that other stuff??? enough space to just leave stuff out??? you don't know you're born.

We have two rice cookers though the bowl of one is pretty manky so that gets used for steaming (has a steamer to sit on top). Not only great rice and porridge and steamed buns, can do noodles at a pinch when the gas runs out. Though secured second bottle just so maybe need that less often - gas is subsidised in the village but they only change empties once a week.

I have some recipes with easy cook rice in. I think they are ones where you bung in the rice with the sauce/dish and it all cooks at the same time... but yeah wouldn't bother otherwise.

The plan rice is ok, any of the flavoured ones I don't like.

We take them camping, chuck a packet in a pan and add other things for a quick dinner using only one burner.

I feel a bit lazy using them for normal rice, plus one pack clearly isn't enough for two and a bit on the big side for one.

Great for fried rice though as its dry so takes on the flavours of other ingredients really well.

I might be a heathen, but when I can't be arsed using the hob I cook wholegrain rice in the microwave. Turns out fine.

The pouches are great for one portion though (((environment)))

Easy cook rice is pre-washed to remove some of the starch, this just saves you doing any sort of soak and rinse thing at home if you don't want all the starch in there.

This is not something weird or odd, and there is absolutely no difference in the taste between the two, just avoid "easy cook" if you want a starchy rice dish.

This isn't tin foil hat territory or anything, it's very simple.

(And anyone who can't cook equally well with either needs to go take a long hard look at their life - with the exception of those who are cooking a dish that needs all the starch retained, they are let off)

I never wash rice anyway. Always seems to work out fine.
I've never washed rice and I don't know anyone who washes it either. I'm not sure why anyone would want to wash the starch out plus you might lose some of that insect protein that comes with most grains.

OK well I don't *boil* rice, I cook it by absorption method - I have perfect rice every time regardless of whether I end up with ordinary rice or easy cook (and it is a lottery depending upon grocery delivery substitutions) - it doesn't make a great deal of difference really. If you want to end up with a sticky rice type thing then you will not want to be using easy cook rice, but otherwise it really doesn't matter. It's not that easy cook is some sort of "beginners" rice.

BTW when I am talking about easy cook rice, I am NOT referring to pouches of pre-cooked rice that you put in a microwave.

Last edited:
I do the same method, perfect every time with normal rice, but have had terrible mushy results out of the so-called easy cook rice.

I do the same method, perfect every time with normal rice, but have had terrible mushy results out of the so-called easy cook rice.

How are you doing it? I dodge conventional wisdom and only use 1.5x the volume of water to rice, rather than the x2 that I sometimes see recommended, I bring to the boil then cover and put on the lowest hob setting for 13 minutes, then stir it with a fork to separate the grains, cover and leave off the heat for 5 minutes. Easy cook rice needs an extra minute or two steaming, it doesn't take up the water so readily, so allow an extra couple of minutes for it, and don't use too much water in the first place - or you'll end up with a sloppy mess that the rice hasn't absorbed.

Always wash the rice or it doesn't ball in chopstick-size clumps so well. That's the local short grain varieties, basmati agree you could not bother.

Back
Top Bottom