Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What sort of numberplate is this?

republic of ireland, county dublin (more here)

as in

format used to be 2 digit number for the year, one or two letters for the county of issue, then up to 5 numbers, but they seem to have added another number after the year (presume they didn't have enough numbers to go round)

whether it's entirely legal to be using a vehicle registered outside the UK regularly inside the UK (rather than just being on a short visit) i'm not so sure...

Yes, it's Irish plate, 151 D, is 2015 first six months, D is Dublin.. Irish plates usually white background, not yellow, plates prob made in Northern Ireland.

Vehicles registered in second half of year become 152..

Really doesn’t look like an Irish plate in the yellow and black, how weird. That can’t be legal surely.

Yeah looks like a “homemade” plate ordered online from a random person with a plate printer who doesn’t adhere to the regulations.

Looks dodgy and illegal as fuck in any event. Like a Del Boy’s number plate forging effort.

whether it's entirely legal to be using a vehicle registered outside the UK regularly inside the UK (rather than just being on a short visit) i'm not so sure...
Since Brexit it's a bit more complicated than it was.

I'm not sure I understand the rules, and I need to. Over here you are restricted on how long you can be here, 90 days in any 180, before you must leave the schengen area, unless you are a resident, and in the country of residence. If you are a resident there's complications about whether you can use a UK registered car here on your Spanish licence. You can't keep a UK licence as a resident.

Residence of one country, in my case Spain, doesn't give you freedom of movement in the other countries. In these your still restricted to 90/180 days.

You have 183 days, or it might be 187, I'm not sure anymore, to reregister your vehicle.

I've no real understanding of how it works the other way though.

When I go back I'm OK because I'm a British citizen. But what happens about my licence is complicated.

As a Spanish resident I can't have a UK licence and drive here. But I've to change my licence while in uk. It seems it's a catch 22. UK licence, Spanish resident can't drive in Spain, Spanish licence, Spanish resident, living in UK, possibly illegal.

Fucking brexit!

Since Brexit it's a bit more complicated than it was.

I'm not sure I understand the rules, and I need to. Over here you are restricted on how long you can be here, 90 days in any 180, before you must leave the schengen area, unless you are a resident, and in the country of residence. If you are a resident there's complications about whether you can use a UK registered car here on your Spanish licence. You can't keep a UK licence as a resident.

Residence of one country, in my case Spain, doesn't give you freedom of movement in the other countries. In these your still restricted to 90/180 days.

You have 183 days, or it might be 187, I'm not sure anymore, to reregister your vehicle.

I've no real understanding of how it works the other way though.

When I go back I'm OK because I'm a British citizen. But what happens about my licence is complicated.

As a Spanish resident I can't have a UK licence and drive here. But I've to change my licence while in uk. It seems it's a catch 22. UK licence, Spanish resident can't drive in Spain, Spanish licence, Spanish resident, living in UK, possibly illegal.

Fucking brexit!
Why can't you have both licenses?

That is a good question on which I cannot get a definitive answer. I am more and more thinking it's worth trying. Especially because, if I change my Spanish for UK, which I'll be obliged to do, I'll then, because of Brexit, not be able to change that back to Spanish unless I take a driving test.

What I'm hoping is that there's a way of reclaiming my old uk licence.

I wouldn’t trust a company that uses an outlook.com email address :)
It’s OK, you’re probably not their target market, which is likely to be half-senile 80-somethings who keep their life savings in a Family Circle biscuit tin on top of the wardrobe and who are quite happy that these helpful chaps have pointed out that their guttering needs fixing for fifteen grand.

You need a uk address for a uk driving licence. My uncle who lives abroad uses my mums address and it gets posted to her and her address is on the licence. I am not sure that is legal though :hmm:

Back
Top Bottom