Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

what software do people use to create videos like these?

It kinda looks like a phone app to me. Or yeh, After Effects (the learning curve on that is quite steep though)

Phone apps are going to put designers like me out of business, and soon. As for AI. Well. Sorry, derail.

I assume you just drop your image into a template and the app does the rest.

It’s just transitioning from black and white to colour using an ellipse mask scaling upwards with some kind of particle simulator. Can be done in AE but prob need a plugin for the particles.
Or probably a phone app.

I’d recommend anyone wanting to get into compositing techniques but not wanting to shell out for Creative Cloud to download Davinci Resolve by Black Magic which has its own built in composting suite. There’s a free version which isn’t lite at all. It’s almost as fully featured as the Studio version.

Furthermore there’s a free version of Particle Illusion by Boris FX for anyone wanting to mess around with particles.

Last edited:
I’d recommend anyone wanting to get into compositing techniques but not wanting to shell out for Creative Cloud to download Davinci Resolve by Black Magic which has its own built in composting suite. There’s a free version which isn’t lite at all. It’s almost as fully featured as the Studio version.
Seconded. I use AE and Premiere as it's what is installed on the college computers but I'm strongly considering a switch so students aren't tied to Adobe. They get it for free while at the college but it still ties them to a system.

Not that I hate Adobe. I think their products are good and I even think their subscription price is reasonable. It's just Davinci does as good a job or better in areas and the free version is not by any means a lower quality product.

Seconded. I use AE and Premiere as it's what is installed on the college computers but I'm strongly considering a switch so students aren't tied to Adobe. They get it for free while at the college but it still ties them to a system.

Not that I hate Adobe. I think their products are good and I even think their subscription price is reasonable. It's just Davinci does as good a job or better in areas and the free version is not by any means a lower quality product.
I have both but I’m too down the line with CC to get rid. I have some plugins that only work with AE. Annoying. Maybe one day I’ll fully migrate.
But, for anyone doing mostly film just go to Resolve. Premiere can’t compete with the colour correction without plugins.

I honestly don't want to say it could strictly be a phone app, due to the aspect ratio, as you can rotate the image in any software. I've dumbly shot vertical videos plenty of times (even the other day) and have had to rotate it in editing software. Yes, you possibly risk slight cropping, but depending on what you're doing and how far away you've shot the image, it might not be noticeable.

I've been alternating between Cyberlink and Pinnacle for all my video editing over the last decade. They both are old versions of the programs, so I'm sure the updates have so many bells and whistles that I'm not utilizing. I'm still working on the kinks with both of them, as I use different functions for both programs. An attempt was made to do side by side videos in Pinnacle once. But it was lagging since I had to set up 2 DSLR cameras myself and start them myself. Video came out decent enough, but since no one was there to help (focus, etc), it's not the best.

I think I briefly tried Premiere at one of my video jobs, but didn't end up completing the movie within that software. I don't remember the reasoning. This was several years ago.

Last time I worked on Final Cut Pro was 20 years ago, so that's a moot point for me.

I've done some crazy text stuff within both programs (for private videos), so the ink drop stuff in the video posted is probably a preset that you can manipulate when / if needed.

Black Magic sounds familiar... I haven't tried it .. just vaguely recognize the name.

You should definitely get into Davinci Resolve if you’re hitting brick walls with your other software. It’s free. But not shit free. It’s the Hollywood standard for colour for starters. There’s a learning curve though.

I honestly don't want to say it could strictly be a phone app, due to the aspect ratio, as you can rotate the image in any software. I've dumbly shot vertical videos plenty of times (even the other day) and have had to rotate it in editing software. Yes, you possibly risk slight cropping, but depending on what you're doing and how far away you've shot the image, it might not be noticeable.
I have an up-res plugin by Boris FX but upscaling from HD to 4K can be done natively in Davinci Resolve. (Assuming you are working in HD or below)

I'm not hitting a brick wall with the products I'm using. I found one does something slightly different than the other when I'm just tooling around in them for my own gain. I hit more of a wall Premiere because I wasn't in the best of places and I was using it on a very old Windows desktop tower. DaVinci looks interesting.. I'll have to check it out. :thumbs:

Back
Top Bottom