Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What should we not miss in the Machynlleth area?

AnnaKarpik

Queen of all she surveys
Apart from the technology centre, that is. We're camping at Dinas Mawddwy for two nights and planning a little gentle walking and a visit to Machynlleth. What else is there?

I walked up Cadair Idris from the car park in Minfordd (a few miles from where you're camping) last week and it was a great experience and beautiful place, especially if you read up on the myths and legends about the area (and I was interested from a geological perspective too).

Do not go to the Taj Mahal indian restaurant in Machynlleth though... I was dying for a mixed grill or a steak after the climb (only about 8pm) but many of the better pubs had stopped serving and we went out of desperation. It was not good.

Go to Borth and visit the animalarium :cool:

Go to Aberystwyth and do loads of things :D (cliff railway, vale of rheidol steam train to devils bridge, camera obscura, play on the beach, walk up to Pen Dinas, look at boats in the marina - then look for OTTERS!!!)

Go to Ynyslas and play on the beach

None of those are actually in Mach but fairly close and its a lovely area - the coast around there is amazing. If its not out of season you might be able to get a boat trip from Aberystwyth to see seals, dolphins and other assorted wildlife :cool: Ooh and look out for massive eaglebirds!! Lots of buzzards and some areas nearby have red kites

I want to go! :(

might be worth having a peruse of the BBC Wales website for events and stuff www.bbc.co.uk/wales

Yeh, me and Dill had a lovely stroll along Aberystwyth beach, playing skimming, until he hurt his arm throwing a pebble :rolleyes:

there's some pretty awesome mountain biking trails which leave from Mach, and another that I know of in nearby Corris.... if you're that way inclined :)

I walked up Cadair Idris from the car park in Minfordd (a few miles from where you're camping) last week and it was a great experience and beautiful place, especially if you read up on the myths and legends about the area (and I was interested from a geological perspective too).

Do not go to the Taj Mahal indian restaurant in Machynlleth though... I was dying for a mixed grill or a steak after the climb (only about 8pm) but many of the better pubs had stopped serving and we went out of desperation. It was not good.

Does Cadair Idris count as 'gentle walking'? Shame about the Taj Mahal; it would be lovely to go for an Indian - bit of a treat for us, see.:(

Does Cadair Idris count as 'gentle walking'? Shame about the Taj Mahal; it would be lovely to go for an Indian - bit of a treat for us, see.:(
Cadair Idris isn't gentle walking, at least on the path we took (Minffordd Path). It's a steep climb initially, but all on perfectly well kept steps, so not dangerous in any way - and then quite easy going up to the lake, which is well worth the effort as it's spectacular up there. We kept walking up from there and got some great views, but didn't make it all the way to the top as it was late and getting cloudy. I'm not exactly fit though and didn't really struggle. There's another path (Pony Path) from the north, which is gentler but about twice as long.

The pub opposite the Taj Mahal (Skinner's arms) is supposed to be good according to the random local we asked (and it looked good), but as I said it was 8pm and they had already stopped serving. :(

Visit the Owain Glyndwr Senate/Centre in Machynlleth for some real Welsh history! It's run by volunteers on a shoestring so is well worth supporting.

Actually, I throw like a girl :oops: He's rather good at skimming :mad:

Shit at dancing, mind

Sorry for derail!!! Will stop now :oops:

Yeh man I have mad skills.

take that callie yeh?

There is also some Modern Art thingy in Mac itself. Erm. You can go and see the building that contained the original parliament of Wales in medieval times or something. I might have just made that up.

There are some lovely hills and fields. Do you like sheep? You are in the right place.

Aber is not far away either. There is some beach and sea there.

If you were there longer, I'd say get the train and have a day in Barmouth. I love Barmouth, me. Lovely estuary, lovely beach (dolphins and everything), and the hills behind for a walk. I spent many happy holidays there during my otherwise fairly dour time in the Jesuits, cos the Js have a holiday cottage there.

Good beach for swimming, too. Although maybe going for a swim in November before we'd turned the hot water on in the cottage was not the best idea. :)

My Dad said Barmouth is Birmingham-on-sea.

I only ever went there once, with my girlfriend. I did notice a lot of brums. Nice beach though, if that makes it any better.

The Quarry Cafe in Machynlleth is also really nice. Lovely vegeburgers and a good choice of cakes.

We did go to Machynlleth and had a bit of a look around and something to eat but that was after the highlight of the weekend, walking up Cadair Idris. Or crawling as it is otherwise known. My legs may never recover.

newharper did manage to sneak himself into a bookshop/junkshop sort of place. We were pretty knackered by the time we got there though with thoughts only of eating and lying down for a rest.

We did go to Machynlleth and had a bit of a look around and something to eat but that was after the highlight of the weekend, walking up Cadair Idris. Or crawling as it is otherwise known. My legs may never recover.

Yeah we had a great weekend, the weather was wonderful.

Had The Delhiburger in the Quarry, good and loved the cafe, however we went back Sunday morning for Brekkie and it was shut. We went to the only caff open, xan't remember the name sadly, but I had the best veggie breakfast I've ever had.

DSCF4982.JPG

DSCF4986.JPG

DSCF4988.JPG

Great time

Didn't find the bookshop I hope, found one but it can't be the one you mean. Went to Hay on the Way, got one there, and found a great bookshop in Brecon on the way back, bought 2 books there as well.:D

Back
Top Bottom