Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What constitutes crossing a picket line?

RubyToogood

RubyTwobikes
For instance if you're supposed to be helping out at an event at a striking university but the university has nothing to do with the event, other than having kindly let you use the room, and you don't work in HE yourself...

It has been pointed out that there are people who do work in HE who will probably not come because of this. I don't think I would have twigged till I got there otherwise.

That's good in theory but I need to say in advance if I'm going or not, and if I'm going to take a principled stand about not going I should be able to back it up.
If you said in advance you were going and then, on the day, were unable because weather, transport or family problems made it impossible, how would that be any different to a picket line asking you not to cross? Contact the local union branch and ask in advance if you're that worried.

Is it a voluntary / no money involved / nobody is employed to do anything event?
Yes, we are doing good deeds in the world. The only people there in any kind of staff capacity are one or two people who work for charities, everyone else, and we're talking 150 or so people, is a volunteer.

I've set wheels in motion to try and talk to the union there. It's possible they'll say yeah go on in which case problem solved for everyone.

I'd certainly prefer it if people didn't cross our picket lines.

It might not be an university event but it's at the university and by using university providing space you're providing the university of the opportunity to both to appear "open as normal" and allow it to claim that it is providing a useful social function.

Yes, we are doing good deeds in the world. The only people there in any kind of staff capacity are one or two people who work for charities, everyone else, and we're talking 150 or so people, is a volunteer.

I've set wheels in motion to try and talk to the union there. It's possible they'll say yeah go on in which case problem solved for everyone.

I'd be inclined to not cross the line.
If it's voluntary then it can be re-scheduled.

Have you ever tried to reschedule an event with 150 people? My personal preference would be to move it, we're quite portable, but I doubt we'd find another venue at this stage.

Oh sorry.....I thought you were helping? ...not organising the thing...but
Sure...yeah I know what its like to reschedule events....up to 500 people some times.
It's easily done now what with Twitter email and websites..group texts.etc..
If the venue is free it's not that hard.

Good luck with it though...I hope that you reach a happy resolution with the unions. :)

Back
Top Bottom