Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What can I plant here?

editor

hiraethified
1685047937773.png

So this is the bit outside my front door. There's plenty of light for the plants near the grill but not so much further back.

In the past I've successfully grown tomatoes but they end up totally filling the space, need endless watering and don't really look that attractive.

At the moment, I've got some geraniums which seem reasonably happy with the occasional watering, but what else could I plant there to make it look much prettier and preferably through all the seasons? I'm looking for low maintenance, low watering plants.

I don't want to spend a fortune but it would be nice to have the plant bed looking nice for the neighbours.

Recommendations please!

you want perrenials that are cat friendly, Hard to tell from the photo but is it deep enough to plant some bulbs for early colour? Sedums are low maintenance, cornflowers are pretty, they're annuals but should self seed for the next year, nasturtiums are the smae and you can add them to your salad :)

Lavender, for all year green, lovely flowers and bees, bulbs just go on and on - winter aconites, snowdrops, crocuses, different size daffs. Annuals from seed - pot marigolds and california poppies in orange, white and yellow, nigella and cornflowers in blue, white and pink, pinks in every colour, there's a perennial rudbeckia with yellow flowers. Crocosmia does well in partial shade, bulb in many colours but I spend the summer pulling it out as it's a bit of a thug. Rosemary, thyme and chives for food plants which thrive on neglect.

Is it windy there? Balcony gardening can need a lot of watering because it evaporates in the breeze.

You could put erigeron on the edges of the planter, it looks like loads of daisies and it doesn't need much water (our garden is too shady for them). We have sempervivum on the one Sunny bit and they also don't seem to care if it doesn't rain for ages.

Our Sempervivum in situ to show how much it doesn't mind having barely any soil and consequently having to put up with dry conditions
IMG_20230530_071220.jpg

I think with my belly generally and if I had limited space I'd probably go for easy maintenance herbs, so I can just pop outside when I'm cooking. Depending on quite how big the space is I'd also consider a small bay tree (but you'll need to keep it in check)

I'd go for sage, rosemary, thyme, oregano and chives. These are all perennials - The chives will come back every spring and for annuals I'd go basil, parsley and Thai basil.

Nasturtiums have been mentioned but I'd second them. Edible, attractive and low maintenance, one of my favourite plants :) they'll probably die off over winter but if you collect and dry out the seeds you can easily do it all again the following year...

Back
Top Bottom