Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What can a "used" buttermilk marinade be used for?

High Voltage

In the top 97% of Urban's most interesting posters
Firstly, I already know the answer to this and that's to throw it away as it will contain "assorted nasties" from, in this case, raw chicken

But this got me thinking. If the marinade is a perfect (or at least pretty good) growing medium for bacteria why won't the chicken that's being marinated be riddled with "stuff"

And if the cooking process renders the meat safe to eat why wouldn't the cooking process fix the used marinade?

The chicken has been marinading over night in the fridge. And if it is pulsating with bacteria won't the chicken also be so pulsating?

The chicken has been marinading over night in the fridge. And if it is pulsating with bacteria won't the chicken also be so pulsating?
It’s going to be cooked to at least 83 degrees until the juices run clear. If you want to do that with the milk too, then theoretically it’d be fine. I mean people make gravy, right?

I wouldn’t risk it, but then I’m vegetarian and meat grosses me out anyway.

Don't get me wrong, it's getting binned

But some reading suggests that boiling for 5 minutes means that some could be used for, say, basting

I'm not even going to do this mind

Well as a parallel, I marinated a pork shoulder in scrumpy for 48 hours before cooking it for Xmas. The scrumpy was thoroughly boiled afterwards and incorporated into the accompanying gravy with no ill effects. As long as it’s heated through to kill any nasties it should be fine 🙂

Well as a parallel, I marinated a pork shoulder in scrumpy for 48 hours before cooking it for Xmas. The scrumpy was thoroughly boiled afterwards and incorporated into the accompanying gravy with no ill effects. As long as it’s heated through to kill any nasties it should be fine 🙂
That’s reminded me I had 4 bags of ‘ham cider’ in the freezer for years. I cut the odd chunk off but never really fancied it for anything other than pork gravy. I think I used some in a potato gratin.

Interestingly, the recipe gave the option of using the marinade in the form of a second coating prior to a second dipping in the coating . . . and yunno what? the end result was fucking A. Super crunchy coating and the chicken was done to a turn

This WILL be repeated . . . unless, of course, I'm shitting through the eye of a needle for the next 24 / 48 hours

Interestingly, the recipe gave the option of using the marinade in the form of a second coating prior to a second dipping in the coating . . . and yunno what? the end result was fucking A. Super crunchy coating and the chicken was done to a turn

This WILL be repeated . . . unless, of course, I'm shitting through the eye of a needle for the next 24 / 48 hours
🎉. 😬

Any marinade would have to be treated as a raw chicken product and heated to x temp and maintained there for y minutes to kill any bacteria (not sure of the exact temps/times off the top of my head but you get the gist).

You'd also want to do it while the marinade was fresh and any bacteria hadn't had a chance to excrete toxins - and I bet buttermilk provides a lovely load of nutrients in which they can thrive and reproduce, so it probably wouldn't be any good to put it back in the fridge and use it a couple of days later - right away should be ok with the above about temps in mind.

Back
Top Bottom