Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

West Sussex

I do have a car. (And a blue badge).

just a thought

don't know if you have a concessionary bus pass on grounds of disability, but just a mention that these are 'national' in the context of the 4 countries of the UK, so scottish ones aren't valid in england or vice versa (there may be special arrangements for serves that meander across the borders but don't think there will be any of them in sussex)

This place is well worth a visit
Definitely. It's where The Repair Shop is filmed.

I think everyone has covered things better than I. I'm more versed with East and West Sussex kid friendly niece activities these days. It's a shame you can't still sit in a smoky viewing lounge at Gatwick and watch the planes take off and land.

I’m here in Petworth. It’s a really lovely little town. But my God it’s Royalism Central here! There’s nothing even approaching this back home.

You'll get that in very small towns and villages down here, very little of that nonsense in Worthing.

Petsworth only has a population of around 3k, we've got villages on the coast with far larger populations.

So we’re in a village outside Petworth. It’s amazingly wealthy looking. It’s like a different world. I imagine we’re surrounded by politicians and rock stars. Come the revolution I’m coming here!

There's a hell of a lot of wealth in rural West Sussex and the villages, it's somewhat more normal in the coastal towns, and Crawley in the north of the county.

So, you survived the Trumpton-meets-Rangers event OK, and didn't get arrested for protesting? :D

We have discovered that EHShepherd lived in the village, and we wonder if the wood inspired his drawings of 100 Acre Wood.

View attachment 374146
A A Milne lived in Hartfield (in East Sussex, almost on the border with Kent). The locations in the books are thought to be inspired by locations near Hartfield in the Ashdown Forest where I grew up!. However, I guess E H Shepard may well have taken inspiration from where he lived.

And, yes, we played poohsticks!

Having said that, this drawing of E H Shepard's includes the clump of trees know as 'The Camel' or the 'The Camel's Clump' and various other names and it's definitely in the Ashdown Forest as I've visited it and even had a picnic there as a kid.

235860-050-116158A9.jpg

What else have you done whilst down here?

Have you checked out any of those pubs I suggested?
We went to the Black Horse at Amberley for lunch. It was very nice, if a little pricey.

We also ventured out to Charleston Farmhouse. Mrs LR is a big fan of the art and decorating style of the Bloomsbury set. As indeed am I. (Fauvism is one of my abiding passions, and of course it hugely influenced them). That was a bit ambitious though and it knocked me out of commission for a couple of days.

But it’s been great weather, and a very pleasant stay. And the wee dog is adorable.

We went to the Black Horse at Amberley for lunch. It was very nice, if a little pricey.

We also ventured out to Charleston Farmhouse. Mrs LR is a big fan of the art and decorating style of the Bloomsbury set. As indeed am I. (Fauvism is one of my abiding passions, and of course it hugely influenced them). That was a bit ambitious though and it knocked me out of commission for a couple of days.

But it’s been great weather, and a very pleasant stay. And the wee dog is adorable.
I was going to say, Charleston is a bit of a trek from Petworth and hope you have recovered. Are there any dog pics?
I've just remembered this which you might like

That comment reminds me about how disappointed mother was after visiting the Battle of Hastings site, because it was just fields.

I asked if she had been expecting the battle to still be going on.
I was far from disappointed. I meditated briefly on those ancestors being around that spot and what their lives were like. I didn’t really need a gift shop and cafe. Although a plaque might have been nice.

Back
Top Bottom