Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

West Sussex

danny la rouge

More like *fanny* la rouge!
I’m going to Petworth for 10 days from the Royal Shenanigans Weekend.

I have chronic fatigue and can’t do much on any given day. And if something turns out to have been too much it can wipe me out for a few days. I also have chronic pain.

However, I like prehistory. The pre-er the better. I intend to seek out Boxgrove ( Eartham Pit, Boxgrove - Wikipedia ) and bathe in the Middle Pleistocene vibes there.

My book of megaliths (The Old Stones: the megalithic portal) isn’t giving me much in the immediate vicinity. Does anyone with local knowledge think there’s anything within striking distance for a physical wreak of a human being?

Aside from prehistory, are there places of historic value, woodlands for forest bathing, sites and sights for the culturally curious?

And what of pubs, eateries, bookshops?

Hit me with that West Sussex knowledge.

Thank you.

One of the people I'm staying with at the moment is originally from Pulborough just down the road, I bet they'll have some good suggestions. Do feel free to start @ ing me from tomorrow if I've not remembered though!

Sorry to hear of your health issues, danny la rouge, which I assume would make Cissbury Ring hill fort a no-no as it's a bit of a climb up there, which is a shame because on a clear day the views are stunning.

Ditto with Arundel Castle, but Chichester & the cathedral should be doable, as should Amberley Museum, if that's of interest.

As for pubs, the Welldiggers Arms just outside of Petworth is lovely, it's included in this list of the six best pubs in the South Downs National Park. I've not actually been to the Blue Bell at Cocking near Midhurst, but it popped up on the Sussex Live site the other day, as an award winning community owned drinking hole.

Oh and Bosham, where king Kanute tried to stop the sea. The tide comes right up the main street, I remember sitting in a pub with the ocean a few inches under the open window at high tide

My SIL and family live in Bosham, it's a lovely place for a wander and a pint.
Would this be the pub?

My SIL and family live in Bosham, it's a lovely place for a wander and a pint.
Would this be the pub?

Yes I think so, it was a few years ago now. Id love to live there! Ive always had a thing about places where the water comes right up to your front door 🙂

Back
Top Bottom