Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

West Mids to Barbican Centre?

MBV

the refinement of my decline
On the spur of the movement I've got a ticket for a gig in May at the Barbican. Now I need to sort logistics with an eye on budget. What would people recommend?

I have family in Reading plus I have a car. One idea I had was to drive to a suburb and then get the tube in and out with the option of sleeping in my car.

Any pointers much appreciated.

there's a big car park at luton airport parkway station, which is not far off the M1. Thameslink trains from there go to Farringdon Station, which is either one stop on the underground from Barbican, or not that long a walk.

The trains generally run all night (think it's hourly in the middle of the night) so no 'last train' issues, although check for engineering work at weekends. Not sure how late things at the Barbican finish.

Farringdon is also on Elizabeth Line (was Crossrail) that goes to Reading, although it's often quicker to change at Paddington and do a faster train between Reading and Paddington (the Eliz Line trains are 'all stations') and again may shut down at a weekend for engineering work (although there's underground trains from barbican / farringdon to paddington as well)

You may be able to get a good price on train tickets if you book in advance - depends where in the west midlands you're starting from, but you've got london north western / west midlands trains (slower but cheaper) to euston or chiltern trains to marylebone (again slower but cheaper) and there's some competition between national express and flix bus on the coach front and that may be generating some special offers.

Although with advance train tickets, you're usually limited to a particular train and if you miss that train, then your ticket's not valid on anything else. And not sure how coach tickets work these days.

if you do drive in to london, be aware of the 'ultra low emission zone' inside the north + south circular so if your car doesn't qualify, you get charged.

Many thanks Puddy_Tat I like the Luton airport parkway option as it sounds straight forward.

I'd be getting the train from New Street but the last train back seems very early.

Many thanks Puddy_Tat I like the Luton airport parkway option as it sounds straight forward.

I'd be getting the train from New Street but the last train back seems very early.

:)

probably simplest just to get train ticket on the day (there's a staffed ticket office at parkway station) - i don't know if there's a price difference for east midlands trains (slightly faster trains that come from the east midlands and go into 'upstairs' at st pancras) and thameslink (the ones that go through to farringdon) rather than faff about with advance tickets.

if you do want to do an advance ticket, make sure you select 'luton airport parkway' not 'luton airport' - the latter is more expensive as it includes the monorail thing (or whatever the heck it is) that links to the airport terminal.

or you can pay with contactless (just make sure you use the same card at each end of the journey or it will get confused and might charge you twice)

not sure how paying for parking works - may be separate machines in the car park bit.

:)

probably simplest just to get train ticket on the day (there's a staffed ticket office at parkway station) - i don't know if there's a price difference for east midlands trains (slightly faster trains that come from the east midlands and go into 'upstairs' at st pancras) and thameslink (the ones that go through to farringdon) rather than faff about with advance tickets.

if you do want to do an advance ticket, make sure you select 'luton airport parkway' not 'luton airport' - the latter is more expensive as it includes the monorail thing (or whatever the heck it is) that links to the airport terminal.

or you can pay with contactless (just make sure you use the same card at each end of the journey or it will get confused and might charge you twice)

not sure how paying for parking works - may be separate machines in the car park bit.

^^^

This is a good plan. If you wanted to save the parking you could go to Flitwick on the Thameslink line which is three stops and 15 minutes north of Luton Airpirt. Massive car park , not sure on out of hours parking, but there is lots of free parking nearby.

Alternatively drive to Croxley on the Met line; another massive car park, I used it on the last rail strike and was surprised how cheap 24 hour parking was £8? Or something. Whilst there is a CPZ immediately round the station there is free on street parking about 400 m away.

It’s like 35 minutes to Baker Street and I think quite a lot of peak time trains run through to Farringdon. Come off the M1 at Watford junction 5 or if you are going down the M40 M25 come off at Rickmansworth.

Last edited:
Reactions: MBV
I've had to revisit this due to the rail strikes tomorrow. If I don't bin it off the Croxley to Farringdon looks like the next best option or I just drive the whole journey.

1683920487295.png

Am I missing another solution?

I've had to revisit this due to the rail strikes tomorrow. If I don't bin it off the Croxley to Farringdon looks like the next best option or I just drive the whole journey.

oh bugger

yes, watford or croxley (metropolitan line) is probably reasonable - both have car parks, but don't know how busy they will be.

watford (met) is the end of the line - and think the trains from there will go through to farringdon, it's just that they might get overtaken by a faster train from amersham (hence the change at harrow on the hill)

or if you're coming in M40 rather than M1, then maybe rickmansworth or somewhere like that.

i refer to my previous warning about the ULEZ if you do decide to drive further in. and if you really want to drive in to central london, congestion charge applies at weekends (12 noon to 6 pm) now.

Thanks again Puddy_Tat I'm liking the idea of the tube from Ricksmanworth.

TFL website is saying no planned closures on the metropolitan line this weekend.

45 minute-ish journey, trains every 15 minutes.

Last one back is just after midnight - although worth checking at the station when you get there if you're likely to be that late.

Back
Top Bottom