Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

West coast road trip (Seattle/Portland/San Francisco/Los Angeles) - any tips?

this place for a drink/lunch - for the view more than anything.

all along the Pacific Coast Highway the views are pretty amazing, so I wouod take your time down that. stopping at Carmel Beach and Monterey.

agree Santa Monica is nice but we also enjoyed staying in the hills when we had a car in LA. around Laurel Canyon.

I've done that trip (though only to San Francisco and not LA, although I did visit LA a few years later), but it was so long ago (1991!) that I suspect things I remember will be out of date and areas will have changed.

We went via Highway 101 which is very scenic, with some pleasant small towns to take breaks in. I really liked Portland and it had some great microbrewery pubs. Seattle is great (visited twice). I remember Pike Place Market, Capitol Hill and Fremont - which I suspect are pretty well-known these days - being well worth a visit, and it has a good art museum with nice grounds.

If you go through San Luis Obispo, stop at the Madonna Inn: Madonna Inn | World-Famous California Hotel

Jebus that's a weird place.

They have rooms you can stay in but you don't need to. Just go to the bar and check the toilets. Madness.

(there are five families that own SLO. The Madonna family are one of them. All five go back to when the Spanish king handed out parcels of land to his mates in the 17th century... Weird place. Avoid the nuclear power plant)

Reactions: tim
If you go through San Luis Obispo, stop at the Madonna Inn: Madonna Inn | World-Famous California Hotel

Jebus that's a weird place.

They have rooms you can stay in but you don't need to. Just go to the bar and check the toilets. Madness.
Okay, that's the second person that has recommended visiting the toilets there, which is more people than have ever recommended a specific toilet to me ever. It's on the list. :D

I was in Seattle last year and really liked it. The pop culture museum was excellent and although I'd scrapped the idea of bothering with the first ever Starbucks I ended up walking past when there was no line early evening and it was quite intresting to see how far they are from how they started!

I was in Seattle last year and really liked it. The pop culture museum was excellent and although I'd scrapped the idea of bothering with the first ever Starbucks I ended up walking past when there was no line early evening and it was quite intresting to see how far they are from how they started!
Don't remember that from when I visited - it will be on my itinerary should I ever go back.

Mind you it was so long ago when I went, I had never heard of Starbucks because we didn't have them here!

Definitely not to be missed when in SF

And also the Last Book Store in LA. New old and an arts space.

IMG_2864.jpegIMG_2863.png

Try a couple of these for hotels

If you fancy Vancouver give me a shout.
I've always fancied going to Vancouver!
We're starting to put together a big blowout vacation next year, renting a car for two weeks and driving from Seattle to LA, stopping off in Portland and SF for a few days on the way.

Any tips for the best places to include, things to do and what to avoid would be gratefully received. :)
I was lucky enough to tour all of those places a few years back.

I'm not sure how helpful it will be, but our driver wrote an interesting blog about the experience:

I also posted up photos:

You don't really get to see much on tour, but the absolute poverty on the streets of SF was horrible to witness. The vegan cheese pizza was bloody amazing though!

I'd hoped for more at Portland but, again, I didn't get much time to venture too far out, but I was surprised how much I enjoyed LA this time around.

SF have these little yellow go cart things you can hire to go on the streets. Madness but great fun.

Found this post of me and A319 in one of them in 2018

Doing a really cheap remake of A-Ha’s take on me today with A319.

View attachment 143239

I'm not sure how helpful it will be, but our driver wrote an interesting blog about the experience:

I also posted up photos:

You don't really get to see much on tour, but the absolute poverty on the streets of SF was horrible to witness. The vegan cheese pizza was bloody amazing though!

I'd hoped for more at Portland but, again, I didn't get much time to venture too far out, but I was surprised how much I enjoyed LA this time around.

Even in 2018 there were tent cities of homeless people in LA. Under freeway bridges you would see 200/300 meters solid with tents. Awful, and I imagine it’s got worse not better.

I also posted up photos:

Always welcome if you're in town Ed!

It's a great city. Not too big and loads of culture. If The Monochrome Set were playing (just sayin'...;):D) I'd recommend The Rickshaw as a venue.

Just in case you are not aware already, there are closures on the Pacific Coast Highway in the Big Sur area. Its been closed at Pauls Slide since Jan 2023 and there's just been another closure between Palo Colorado and Rocky Creek due to a landslip

Just in case you are not aware already, there are closures on the Pacific Coast Highway in the Big Sur area. Its been closed at Pauls Slide since Jan 2023 and there's just been another closure between Palo Colorado and Rocky Creek due to a landslip
Yeah, I think I'm just going to see what route Google Maps thinks is open when I leave SF, and just do as much on the PCH as I can.

See the elephant seals between SF and LA if they are on shore.
You can smell them well before you see them :D

I loved Santa Cruz; the boardwalk/ fairground is great. Also if you get a chance, stop at Pfeiffer Beach; raw and beautiful. Pismo Beach is gorgeous and massive. You can hire quads to go haring across it.

Tbh, you can't really fail meandering down Highway 1. It's all beautiful and everywhere you stop there's something amazing to look at plus good food, wine, beer and weed.

Last edited:
Speaking of books, Portland is of course home to the worlds largest bookstore but you can easily lose a day or more in there Powell’s Books | The World’s Largest Independent Bookstore

yup, been there - it's huge!

Portland is weird Keep Portland Weird
It is also very green and pedestrian friendly as well as having lots of microbreweries.

when we were there we stayed in an elementary school that had been converted into a hotel. hipster coffee shops everywhere.

We're starting to put together a big blowout vacation next year, renting a car for two weeks and driving from Seattle to LA, stopping off in Portland and SF for a few days on the way.

Any tips for the best places to include, things to do and what to avoid would be gratefully received. :)

The year before last, I was invited on a road trip, we did San Francisco to LA and back again. It's extraordinary, to say the least. Bearing in mind that SF serves the finest and most potent weed on this earth, the following is recalled in a sweet haze (Indica I think... smiles to self for a few minutes)

If you can, in San Fran go and see the redwoods. That changed my life. OK.

We went down Highway 101 from SF, which is the windy, coastal cliff-top route. I was trepidatious about it, but being gently stoned out of my tiny mind helped, and I wasn't driving anyway, all I really had to do was fall to a fiery death off a cliff should the need arise.

We stayed a night at Morro Bay (big volcanic rock about half way down to LA) and then we cheekily diverted inland to drive for one very long day, to the Nevada Desert, where we stayed a few nights in a silver Slipstream on an artists campsite, camp fire, guitar, stars forever, did I mention they do weed in California? They do weed in California.

After a few days in that weird environment, we went to the next, and stayed four nights in Beverly Hills, at an Airbnb I didn't ask the price of, we had to do the Chinese Theatre (tick) and the balcony where Richard Gere pulled down the stairs to reach Julia Roberts in Pretty Woman (yeah, I'm gay) and we went to the old, ruined LA zoo, it's only the cages left now the animals are gone, but it's a creepy/beautiful relic of another time, with cool graff. I would recommend that, as nobody else seemed to know it was there, and I like quiet places.

And we did a load of streets and locations from Grand Theft Auto near Santa Monica pier, that was fucking awesome, the beach and the hat shop which is actually there. Loads of good street art in that beach area, and fit people roller-blading. Did we stand out?? Like two punks in a nunnery.

I didn't see the Manson Murder House, but I did see the very pavement outside the Viper Rooms where River Pheonix stiffed out, blue in the face from too much fun, so that was nice.

Hollywood is much like the rest of America, in that you can imagine it being absolutely, heavenly beautiful when it was just Native Americans there. I thought that a lot about America.

And then we did a long drive up the interior of the state back to SF, through the hundreds of miles of industrial wasteland, cattle farms, the reek of shit, the theft of water and the rape of the soil, for thousands and thousands of square miles of row after row of identical produce created by water they can't afford. It's a scary fucking mess.

But by this point, officer, I had become over-tired through excitement, and slept all the way to San Francisco. And if that isn't a song it fucking should be.

Oooh, just remembered we also stopped on the way down to see a famous seal colony. They smell atrocious, they don't like us, I didn't like them. And they don't even clap on command. 1/5, wouldn't bother.

There will be gaps in my memory of this trip, for some reason. But the basic timeline of events and places is roughly true, according to my Google timeline.

Back
Top Bottom