Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Wedding music....... HELP!

sim667

All aboard the 303 bus.
Has anyone got any ideas of what to do for music for our wedding? Everyone who's coming is really musically minded and we need to do some kind of music from about 7pm til about 1 am. Initially I'd planned to book a band which would take us to 10.30-11 wish and then have a couple of friends to DJ. But the band prices I'm getting for what we like are starting about £1900 which is just a bit much.

Please help with ideas.

For our fairly informal wedding, we hired a decent PA system, made a playlist for arrival/mingling/dinner, then Mr K and a couple of mates DJ'd. It was great tbh, fairly cost effective and felt like 'us' :)

A band is a gold idea, but wont be missed if it doesn’t happen.

Unless the band is one that the guests really want to see, they’re just a bunch of people making live music in the background. No one at a wedding is there to see a gig. Unless you put it on as an actual gig. Which can happen, but then it’s not a band playing at a wedding reception, it’s a gig with a wedding going on. I‘ve rarely seen that even when the wedding was full of professional musicians.

Really good DJs is much much more important imo.

I was at a wedding recently and there were two bands, both were pretty good. One was a decent guitar band, the other was a ceilidh band. The room was almost empty for both while the guests were off chatting and drinking and hanging out and getting to know people from the other side of the aisle. Once the DJ started, the dance floor was full for the rest of the night.

For our fairly informal wedding, we hired a decent PA system, made a playlist for arrival/mingling/dinner, then Mr K and a couple of mates DJ'd. It was great tbh, fairly cost effective and felt like 'us' :)
I just don't trust my mates to not go silly all night and completely forget about stuff mine and my partners folks would like

A band is a gold idea, but wont be missed if it doesn’t happen.

Unless the band is one that the guests really want to see, they’re just a bunch of people making live music in the background. No one at a wedding is there to see a gig. Unless you put it on as an actual gig. Which can happen, but then it’s not a band playing at a wedding reception, it’s a gig with a wedding going on. I‘ve rarely seen that even when the wedding was full of professional musicians.

Really good DJs is much much more important imo.

I was at a wedding recently and there were two bands, both were pretty good. One was a decent guitar band, the other was a ceilidh band. The room was almost empty for both while the guests were off chatting and drinking and hanging out and getting to know people from the other side of the aisle. Once the DJ started, the dance floor was full for the rest of the night.
We've been considering about getting a DJ instead, but find the right dj is difficult...... The problem is we like rock/metal/cheese/soul/garage and rave

Sounds like the perfect wedding disco set to me

This wedding I mentioned had a wide range of tracks from The Stooges to Blondie to Kylie to Motörhead to Primal Scream to Sugababes and back to Iggy. As long as the track is a good on people will keep dancing. No one wants a single genre set at a wedding!

We've been considering about getting a DJ instead, but find the right dj is difficult...... The problem is we like rock/metal/cheese/soul/garage and rave
It can happen...at my brother's wedding (much more formal and proper than mine) they hired a DJ and gave him a list of tunes they wanted included, in addition to the usual wedding dancefloor fare. It was really joyful, everyone dancing to everything from S Club 7 to Ganja Kru :D

Do that 'open deck' policy, where everybody plays 3 tracks (mp3s/cds/vinyl) which remind them of you. Mind you, I wouldn't necessarily trust my mates to do that very well, either.
I have been to weddings where the bride and groom had requested every attendee suggest a song that they wanted played at the do and then they stuck them all on an iPod set to shuffle and they were pretty successful.

Oh my god groom needs to stop yanking bride‘s hand around as if she’s a wristband he’s put on for the day. Does he even notice she’s there
He also needs to get a better taste in music rather than that awful racket. Young people these days don't know what music even is. :(

Back
Top Bottom