Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Website freezing when loaded from my own computer

trevhagl

Famous author , company CEO
here's a strange one. A mailout i sent out on bulk email (Sender) set off someone's norton last week and there were 46 bounces (normally 1-2 out of 1000)
It's the links in the email i always use to various parts of my site (ie LP , CD etc) and never been problems before.
Now when i do a google search for my own site it just freezes and a google security warning comes up. I can't get to the site from my own desktop shortcut either on public setting but i can on admin.
Any previous links on Facebook also freeze
yet i can get on no problem in Edge and mobile phone and everyone else i have asked to try it , it works.

has me totally baffled and google advice isn't leading anywhere

if anyone knows it will be you lot so any advice appreciated

Most likely someone has hacked your website and installed a virus onto it. Download your entire site and check it for a virus, then check the database for any recent changes. (assuming you have a database)

Sometimes websites get false positive warnings, but it could be as Saul Goodman says and that something nasty has got in there somehow. Could be something about the hosting company not your site specifically.

But if other people can get on OK, hmm.

What combination of firewall / anti virus have you got?

Sometimes websites get false positive warnings, but it could be as Saul Goodman says and that something nasty has got in there somehow. Could be something about the hosting company not your site specifically.

But if other people can get on OK, hmm.

What combination of firewall / anti virus have you got?
thanks i have AVG .

Most likely someone has hacked your website and installed a virus onto it. Download your entire site and check it for a virus, then check the database for any recent changes. (assuming you have a database)
Not sure how to do this , i have spent all weekend changing to new layout thinking it could be the old layout causing it , and i don't want to risk anything complicated
Been in touch with Shopify who just say this but i have tried this and only incognito works
The issue may be related to your browser's cache or cookies. Try clearing your browser cache, disabling extensions, or using incognito mode. You can also check your internet settings or DNS settings if the problem persists.

i have looked into the Shopify info about site security and they say there isn't any problems and it could be browsers / anti virus , which isn't much use if there really is one

Could be a security issue. Is your SSL cert up to date and valid?
thanks , is there somewhere i can check this? I did a scan on Sitelock and it found no malware but it said there was this missing -

Content Delivery Network (CDN) Service Provider

One of the best ways to improve the user experience on your website is to decrease the time it takes for your web pages to load. Visitors won’t wait around if they are experiencing long load times, especially if they are looking to purchase a product or service from an eCommerce store. Using a high-performance content delivery network will reduce latency and help ensure visitors stick around. Boost your website speed by up to 50% on average with SiteLock’s CDN services.

thanks , is there somewhere i can check this? I did a scan on Sitelock and it found no malware but it said there was this missing -

Content Delivery Network (CDN) Service Provider

One of the best ways to improve the user experience on your website is to decrease the time it takes for your web pages to load. Visitors won’t wait around if they are experiencing long load times, especially if they are looking to purchase a product or service from an eCommerce store. Using a high-performance content delivery network will reduce latency and help ensure visitors stick around. Boost your website speed by up to 50% on average with SiteLock’s CDN services.
Click in your browser URL bar, to the left of the site name. It should say connection is secure. If it doesn't you should be able to see why not.

Click in your browser URL bar, to the left of the site name. It should say connection is secure. If it doesn't you should be able to see why not.
thanks yes its come up Ok but oddly enough when i usually use chrome to access it and it freezes it says this site may not be secure !

one thing the AVG said was certain programmes were slowing down the computer , one was my Brother Printing app , is this necessary after its been installed as it said put it to sleep , but i don't want to risk the printer malfunctioning (or know how to put it to sleep)

Hmm.

I remember having AVG ages ago, and it causing problems - i can't remember the details now, but it and one other security program I had on my computer really didn't get on.

If everyone you've asked to try it says it's ok for them, then my thoughts are it's either something to do with AVG (and you just haven't asked anyone with AVG yet) or something weird in your own computer, rather than something wrong with the website itself.

Some websites end up on blacklists for spurious reasons, though.

AVG is just sophisticated malware pretending to be security software IMO
Norton is one of the worst culprits. What's worse is you're paying for the privilege of it spamming and scamming you. You pay for the antivirus, which, without your knowledge or consent, installs other software, like a driver updater, program updater, etc. It then runs these programs you didn't ask for, points out "problems" on your system, and offers to fix them, but if you click "Yes, fix my shit" you're given the finger, and told you have to pay an extra subscription fee if you want these "problems" fixed.
It would be less annoying if Norton wasn't also a steaming pile of shit.

So more ransomware than malware..
It's not really ransomware, as you can just close it and you can still use your computer. Shiteware would be more appropriate, but 21st-century-ware is what it actually is, as pretty much all of the large software companies are cunts now. And it's not just software companies. It won't be long until you won't own anything. Everything will be rented to you on a subscription basis, to maximise profits for cunts.

It's not really ransomware, as you can just close it and you can still use your computer. Shiteware would be more appropriate, but 21st-century-ware is what it actually is, as pretty much all of the large software companies are cunts now. And it's not just software companies. It won't be long until you won't own anything. Everything will be rented to you on a subscription basis, to maximise profits for cunts.
what I mean is they blackmail you into paying more by making you anxious about security

ETA: and we're already there when it comes to things like films/tv shows that you buy from streaming services

what I mean is they blackmail you into paying more by making you anxious about security

ETA: and we're already there when it comes to things like films/tv shows that you buy from streaming services

It’s extortion rather than blackmail, they aren’t threatening to make any information public.

sent out another bulk email tonight using Sender.net and its set off people's Norton again , i went into the email provider site and looked at email and it set off my AVG , the analysis showed it was infected with phishing- something like Cloudware ? i am losing customers by the bucketload . Is there a way to check if my actual Sender account has been hacked, or maybe its a dodgy site anyway?

Maybe it’s the bulk email Sight. That has been blacklisted.

i've never got in to the realms of using anything external to send bulk e-mails, but that's a thought - wonder if some spammer has been using the same provider / server and that's got the whole damn thing blacklisted?

another thought - are you with the sort of ISP who gives you a different IP address each time you login / re-start your router? I'm with BT who do. This has once or twice come up with weird things, like being told I'd edited something on wikipedia (i've never edited anything on there) and once I got blocked from logging in to Urban, presumably because of something that had been done by someone else with that IP address.

i've never got in to the realms of using anything external to send bulk e-mails, but that's a thought - wonder if some spammer has been using the same provider / server and that's got the whole damn thing blacklisted?

another thought - are you with the sort of ISP who gives you a different IP address each time you login / re-start your router? I'm with BT who do. This has once or twice come up with weird things, like being told I'd edited something on wikipedia (i've never edited anything on there) and once I got blocked from logging in to Urban, presumably because of something that had been done by someone else with that IP address.
yes i am on Talk talk and various locations have popped up , i think its shared server , you could be right about Sender being blacklisted , they weren't at all helpful when i contacted them

yes i am on Talk talk

i think i might see your problem...

i've got avast anti virus, and it will occasionally block access to a website and tell me why. (if you want to PM me what the website is, i'll give it a look)

how possible do you think it is that your website could have been hacked? how do you load updates etc to the hosting provider?

is there third party advertising on it that could have something dubious?

i think i might see your problem...

i've got avast anti virus, and it will occasionally block access to a website and tell me why. (if you want to PM me what the website is, i'll give it a look)

how possible do you think it is that your website could have been hacked? how do you load updates etc to the hosting provider?

is there third party advertising on it that could have something dubious?
Thanks for that well i checked my site on a security scanner and it came up fine, and SSL certificates valid
There is something in the bulk email that Norton doesn't like . See PM anyway . When i post the share link on Facebook its OK and no AVG warning when i click into it

reply sent.

website's a bit out of my league as far as HTML and website knitting is concerned - i used to run a website but was on 1990s tech...

think you need someone more up to date than me...

Back
Top Bottom