Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Webpages not loading (Firefox)

Biscuitmonkey

This seems to have started after a windows update.

Originally I got a SSL error mesage but now it just times out. It will connect to the first page but then the problem kicks in.

So far, I’ve cleared history and DNS cache, disabled extensions / add ons and tried switching the router and VPN off and on, but nothing has been cured

I’m writing this on my phone but, like Velma from Scooby Doo, I can’t find my glasses and it’s a pain in the hole to type and read.

Any advice is very welcome.

This may also be a daft question but have you tried typing another website address in the url bar at the top of the page? It could be an issue with whatever website you have as your home page.

I have - same problem. It seems to take a minute for the problem to kick in.

I tried a ping in the command prompt - packets sent 4, received 3

I don’t really understand this but that doesn’t sound good.

Also is your system clock showing correct time?

Also If you go to the start button then "run" then type "cmd" then type "ping 8.8.8.8" does it give a response?

What are you trying to ping. Your router or a website like Google.

You can do a longer ping -t 8.8.8.8

Is the phone on WiFi or mobile data?

I have - same problem. It seems to take a minute for the problem to kick in.

I tried a ping in the command prompt - packets sent 4, received 3

I don’t really understand this but that doesn’t sound good.
I replied same time as you so you tried ping.

Are you using your phone on mobile data or wifi via the router?

Have you tried hotspotting your computer off your phone? Would prove if issue is router or not.

hmm

sometimes firefox (and possibly other browsers) struggles a bit when there's a windows update.

i take it you've checked that browsers are on current version as well? Think I got a firefox update yesterday.

is it all websites or just some? every now and then, an internet provider decides not to talk to websites operated by a particular other provider.

but you mention a VPN - is it worth turning that off and trying a few trusted websites?

I’m not being flippant, but since you haven’t mentioned have you rebooted your laptop? I’m assuming it’s a laptop. also I would try connecting via ethernet cable to your router if you can. If the problems persist, do full virus scan.
What phone have you got? So we could advise how to use it as a hotspot. Well with iPhone it’s just under settings, called personal hotspot.

Thanks all, for showing an interest. This is really doing my head in.

The browsers are deffo up to date.

I’ve rebooted the laptop - a few times.

I’ll try to connect via Ethernet, if I can find a cable.

I have an (old) iPhone that is happy connecting to the wifi and any site. I’ll try the personal hotspot thing tomoz.

Ta again everyone.

I’m not being flippant, but since you haven’t mentioned have you rebooted your laptop?
I was going to suggest this. I don't know which VPN you're using Biscuitmonkey but I get the exact same error sometimes, also on Firefox. I use PIA.

A reboot is the only thing that fixes it. PIA say it's to do with split tunneling in the settings, but I don't use that anymore and still get the ocassional issue.

Check if split tunneling is switched on in your VPN client (it might be called app whitelist or similar). And check if there's an update - it might be that the VPN is being blocked as it's on an older, insecure/untrusted version.

I had something similar recently. Turned out that the problem was the VPN (in my case NordVPN) add-ons, (i.e. the Nord anti-virus/web protection stuff, as opposed to the VPN function).

Even when you turned off the VPN, it's anti virus gizmos were still running and apparently it clashed with Malwarebytes, which caused the problem.

The solution was to manually switch off the NVPN extras.

Whatever it is, it's the VPN. Rather than just closing it, after the above comment about background processes, I logged out fully and everything works fine.

There're some negative comments about the add on version for Firefox. Something to do with DNS and tunneling which is beyond my ken.

Looks like I need a different VPN. Shame as I like Proton.

Thanks to all for your help.

Back
Top Bottom