Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Walks near Buxton

Mrs Miggins

There's been a slight cheese accident
I'm having a weekend with friends in Buxton in late September and I wondered if anyone had walk recommendations.

Probably around 3-4 hours duration and not mega strenuous although the odd climb is not out of the question.

We will have cars so can drive for something spectacular.

Thanks!

Will you have transport? Go to the Manifold Way. Manifold Way: Peak District National Park It’s a walking and cycle route along the manifold valley. Very pretty. No cars. There are tea rooms along the route, and Thor’s Cave. Well worth a visit. And at the very pretty village of Wetton, there’s a pub, where if you’re lucky they’ll be doing toe wrestling. Home

Depending on which way you do the walk, Hartington is just beyond the end of the route, and is home to some fabulous blue cheese. The Old Cheese Shop (Hartington) - 2019 All You Need to Know Before You Go (with Photos) - Hartington, England | TripAdvisor

Another day, go to Cromford, and visit Scarthin Books. In my view the best bookshop in these islands. Scarthin Books Cromford | Bookshop for the majority of minorities | Antiquarian Books | Online Bookstore

There are lovely walks near there too, including this one taking in Cromford Canal and Black Rock. Cromford Canal & Black Rocks from High Peak Junction - Derbyshire - Walk 2899 - a walk description from Walking Britain.

Stayed in Buxton a few years ago - got the train to Hope, then walked up onto the hillside that leads along to Kinder Scout, then from Kinder Scout back down to Edale and train back. A little bit of climb but not all that much, and easy walking all the way. Despite its name the Peak District doesn't have anything you could call a peak; it's more like a flat plateau with valleys in it.

After your walk, Buxton Brewery is one of the best in the land. They have a tap room.

If they happen to be making Ace Edge (an occasional variant on Axe Edge) definitely guzzle some down.

It's murder on the legs climbing up the damn thing. But the views are great from the top.
If you start from the Hope Valley the climb is no more than about 300m.

(If you start from Hope rather than Edale you don't have to go directly up the steep bit but can take a fairly long diagonal)

(If you start from Hope rather than Edale you don't have to go directly up the steep bit but can take a fairly long diagonal)
Yes, but much of almost vertically (or at least the sudden steep bit once you get up the little valley the stream runs down into the reservoir).

Mrs Miggins could walk round the Derwent reservoirs - not strenuous at all, and the walk can be as long or as short as you like.

Also, walking up Winnat's Pass when it is blowing a gale is good exercise - it acts like like a giant wind tunnel stopping you making any progress.

Yes, but much of almost vertically (or at least the sudden steep bit once you get up the little valley the stream runs down into the reservoir).
Screen Shot 2019-08-12 at 13.02.02.jpg

I seem to remember our route started from Hope station, up to where it says 'Aston' then something like the green dotted path to where it says 'Hope Cross' and then the red dotted path along a sort-of ridge up to the plateau. Only the very last bit of that looks steep, going by the contours.

This is a brilliant thread. I am also off to Buxton in September, but not with Mrs Miggins!

We are going to do some drinking, sleeping and reading but also to walk Kinder in homage to the memory of members of our class who fought for our right to do so. teuchter - is the train to Hope the best way to do this and then return via Edale? Presume its a full day and trains times are not frequent?

Yeah, Kinder Scout is good. And has the bonus of its radical history. Mass trespass of Kinder Scout - Wikipedia

I've walked it a couple of times, and while it isn't a Munro, I wouldn't call it gentle. I suppose it depends on which route you take. I took this one: Kinder Scout mass trespass walk
It's a good walk that way I think. Also you get views across the reservoir on your way up.

If the weather's drizzly though you won't see anything and you'll probably be in a layer of cloud at the top.

It's very much weather dependent. I don't mind myself but if you're doing something for a view and there isn't one it can feel like you've been short changed.

I like Ladybower if you're going that direction. The Nags Head in Edale does a great Sunday carvery.

Alternatively there's the Monsal trail which goes out of Buxton. I've not walked all of it but it's a disused railway line, so flat, and you go in and out of tunnels. The bit round Cressbrook is lovely and there's a nice tea shop at Monsal head.

This is a brilliant thread. I am also off to Buxton in September, but not with Mrs Miggins!

We are going to do some drinking, sleeping and reading but also to walk Kinder in homage to the memory of members of our class who fought for our right to do so. teuchter - is the train to Hope the best way to do this and then return via Edale? Presume its a full day and trains times are not frequent?
If you want the full homage you need to start at Hayfield.

It's not an area I know well so you should not pay too much attention to me. All I can tell you is that we chose that route because it was doable by public transport, and because we were meeting someone in Edale at the end (probably the pub mentioned above?) It's not a huge walk but we spent most of a day doing it.

The weather was fairly bad - raining all the way up so no views of anything, then cleared once we were actually at Kinder Scout at which point I remember there was a view to the south. We crossed paths with some chap from manchester, running in shorts and t-shirt and seemingly unconcerned with the rain.

There's train stations at Hope and Edale, either are good starting points. Do not be fooled into thinking there's a train station at Castleton; there is one, but it's the Castleton near Rochdale.

On Teutcher's map, the ridge goes off to the left to Mam Tor, which is fairly famous. There's a car park halfway up ('Mam Nick'), free for NT members.

A circular walk taking in the whole ridge, Castleton and Winnat's Pass is about six miles and not too strenuous apart from two climbs, the top is all flagstone paved. To take in Hope won't be much more distance.

I seem to remember our route started from Hope station, up to where it says 'Aston' then something like the green dotted path to where it says 'Hope Cross' and then the red dotted path along a sort-of ridge up to the plateau. Only the very last bit of that looks steep, going by the contours.
The route I always took was from Hayfield past the quarry where the trespassers assembled, by the side of the reservoir and up Williams Clough and onto the plateau from there. You get to a flat bit above the Clough and then the climb seems to be about 80m up a pretty steep hill.

upload_2019-8-12_16-31-5.png

The only reason I used to go via that route was because I could get a train to Stockport, then a bus to Hayfield which saved getting a train through to Edale. Took bloody ages mind, as the bus weaved its way through every random place before arriving in Hayfield.

Back
Top Bottom