Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Walking in Costa del Sol ?

telbert

Do you like sponge?
Im trying to kill 2 birds with one stone here. I really need to get away for a week in the next few weeks, somewhere warm close to a beach. Ive also been thinking about getting some miles under my belt at the same time. Nothing massive just maybe 6-8 miles during the day, early start , before its too hot & still have a little beach time in the afternoons, maybe 3/4 times over the week. I like the look of some of the walks/trails in Torremolinas, so anyone got anyrecommendations please?

Don’t do Torremolinos. It’s too full of piss head Brit.

Go along the coast east of Málaga to Costa Tropical. Identical weather but less crowded. I‘d suggest Almuñecar, or Motril. They’re much nicer and not so intensely touristy. Those who are there tend to be Spanish or Northern European.

Im not really into walking, but you could try the Sierra Nevadas which, I’m told, are really good for walking.

Another place I’d recommend is La Herradura, it’s expensive this time of year, but beautiful. When I was living in Andalucia this was my favourite place for breaks. It’s more water sports than walking though so possibly not what you want.

Failing all of that go to Galicia. It’s completely different to Andalucia. Fly in to Santiago de Compostela or Santander for the Camino De Santiago. Galicia is very well set up for walking because of the pilgrim route. The downside is that it can be wet, but it will be warm. You’ll find, depending on which part you walk others doing it as a walk or a pilgrimage. There’s lots of pilgrim hostels and hotels along the way. It’s very well signposted.

If walking is your main objective go to Galicia, if you want beaches go to Andalucia. Galicia has both by the bucketload.

Thanks dess, ive stayed in Torre before and it was very touristy in the city centre but out towards la carihuela it was beautiful.We ended up spending most of our time there. Ideally id be looking at this area again.

Thanks dess, ive stayed in Torre before and it was very touristy in the city centre but out towards la carihuela it was beautiful.We ended up spending most of our time there. Ideally id be looking at this area again.
I don’t like it at all. Prices are high and tourists are regularly ripped off by comparison to going east of Málaga.

If you want somewhere different go to Cadiz province, it’s far more popular with the Spanish, very beautiful, and full of nice walks.

Im trying to kill 2 birds with one stone here. I really need to get away for a week in the next few weeks, somewhere warm close to a beach. Ive also been thinking about getting some miles under my belt at the same time. Nothing massive just maybe 6-8 miles during the day, early start , before its too hot & still have a little beach time in the afternoons, maybe 3/4 times over the week. I like the look of some of the walks/trails in Torremolinas, so anyone got anyrecommendations please?
We went to Nerja a couple of years ago - it’s about 45 minutes drive east of Malaga on the coast. There’s some good walks to be had following the Rio Chillar up into the hills and in the El Pinarilla (sp?) park further north. Although that’s a bit tricky to get to without a car tbh. We got all the info we needed from the tourist office in town

Nerja is quite touristy but I liked it. Plenty of good restaurants and we found some great bars/tapas places

The actual costa del sol itself insnt that amazing for walking. But the eastern side is wilder and has more options. And up near Ronda in that part of Malaga and just over into Cadiz is some of the best walking in Andalucia. Absolutely brilliant. All the towns and villages around there are lush and well worth checking out. Great food too!

You can do the GR7 all the way from Tarifa to Jaen Province and up into Valencia too

We went to Nerja a couple of years ago - it’s about 45 minutes drive east of Malaga on the coast. There’s some good walks to be had following the Rio Chillar up into the hills and in the El Pinarilla (sp?) park further north. Although that’s a bit tricky to get to without a car tbh. We got all the info we needed from the tourist office in town

Nerja is quite touristy but I liked it. Plenty of good restaurants and we found some great bars/tapas places
We got back from Nerja on Sunday having spent ten nights there and we thoroughly enjoyed it. Like you say some great bars/tapas places and restaurants and we were surprised how affordable it was to eat out. Didn’t get to do much walking apart from into the town and back at night which was around a mile from where we stayed, it was far too hot during the day to do an serious walking.

Back
Top Bottom