Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Volcano and Earthquake watch

Colima volcano in Columbia had a small eruption over the past 2 days.

The Colima Volcano erupted twice on Thursday (August 20) morning, spewing ash and smoke more than 3 kilometres (1.86 miles) into the air. Located in the southwestern Mexican state of Colima, the Fire Volcano's first eruption occurred at 8:00 am local time (1300 GMT) and the second at 9:20 am (1420 GMT). The volcano has been exhibiting activity since July 9. Over the last month, nearby villages have been blanketed with thick coats of ash, prompting evacuations. Officially known as the Colima Volcano, it was previously active in January and February of 2015 and is part of the Pacific's Ring of Fire Mexico contains over 3,000 volcanos but only 14 are considered active. Major eruptions have included the 1953 eruption of the Paricutin Volcano in Michoacan, the 1982 eruption of Tacana Volcano in Chiapas and the 1986 eruption of the Colima Volcano. The Colima Volcano has erupted more than 40 times since the 16th century and local authorities have an emergency plan that includes continuous observation of the volcano and mandatory evacuations, if needed.

http://hisz.rsoe.hu/alertmap/site/index.php?pageid=event_desc&edis_id=VE-20150821-49751-MEX

In case anyone is interested, there are a fair few Twitter feeds for earthquakes that might be worth following.

Large Quakes LA - @bigQuakesLA

USGS Big Quakes - @USGSBigQuakes

USGS Tweet Earthquake Dispatch - @USGSted

Earthquakes Tsunamis - @NewEarthquake

LA QuakeBot - @earthquakesLA

Earthquake Info - @QuakeReports

USGS - @USGS

Loads more of course - here and here, for example.

Oddly, there doesn't seem to be such a variety of feeds for volcanoes. If anyone knows of any it would be good if you could post them on the thread. :cool:

ETA - found one volcano feed - Volcano Alert - @VolcanoAlert

Last edited:
Colima and Popocatepetl have erupted.

Mexico’s Colima And Popocatepetl Volcanoes Erupt, Shoot Out Ash And Smoke In Fresh Rumblings

Here's a good picture of Colima - date unknown although if was posted on Twitter on 4 September.

CODLTVyWIAAAhWm.jpg

Been a few large cracks opening up.

A crack 750 yards long split open in Wyoming on the Big Horn Mountains. Apparently only taking a week or 2 to get from no crack, to this bad boy.

12033148_1076332949051839_6474886460307487062_n.jpg

SEE IT: Massive crack opens up in Wyoming mountain

ON Oct 15, when the 7.1 mag earthquake hit the Phillapines, this crack appeared.

bohol-crack.png

In the article it states that villagers have walked up to 5 km along it, and not found the end.
Philippine quake created extended rocky wall | The Japan Times

Another in Mexico
mexico.jpg

SEE IT: Massive crack opens in Mexico

In other crack related news, a crack first spotted in 2005, thought to possibly be the start of a new ocean, may have ripped open in just a couple of days. (I remember starting a thread on it)
Giant crack in Africa formed in just days

And a newly found crack in the ocean floor off the coast of spain, could suggest that in 220 million or so years, Europe will be a fuck lot closer to the Americas than it is now and the Atlantic will not exist.
Atlantic Ocean to Disappear in 200 Million Years?

Did the watch just get easier?

I don't really know what to make of it, but I know the Suspicious0bservers bloke has been trying to predict earthquakes using various different factors for a while now. Results varied, main factors used were planetary alignments, coronal hole streams, so called 'earth spots' and the arrival of other forms of space weather. He claims in this video, to have predicted several quakes, with a threshold point of 6.4, anything lower doesn't count. In the first 2 weeks he got about 6 predictions right, and a couple wrong. He seems to know his stuff, but charmers often do. (he does crowd fund a living from this, even though he's already minted)

Anyone out there able to refute his claims, or even just add some lamens terms for what he's blathering on about half the time.

Here's the video where he makes the claims,not at all presumptiously titled either.

2hats give you a tinkle, as you seem to know your stuff on space related fun and games.

This was the building that seems to have caused the most casualties in Tainan yesterday. It does look rather dodgy from the outside even if that's with the benefit of hindsight:

tai.jpg

Inside it seems to have had rubbish instead of concrete

Roughly this time last year I was standing on the edge of Mount Bromo in eastern Java watching it cough up small amounts of ash and plume as it always does. It's now erupting for the second time this century. Not as spectacular as any pictures above but enough to stop tourism in the area. Highly recommend anyone going to visit if in the area (once it's stopped major erupting). You can see pictures of these eruptions, which have been going on since early December, by googling 'Bromo erupts' (obviously). I have some pretty cool pics from last year I might put up if I ever get off this first generation IPad.

Are you trying to say that Mrs Miggins picture is a fake? Bit harsh.

Poor cows, bet they were shitting it. (assuming they have now been rescued) Wonder if the rest of the herd were that lucky :(

Back
Top Bottom