Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Volcano and Earthquake watch

xes

F.O.A.D
This is a thread I've been meaning to do for a while, a sort of running commentary of the earths movements. And as we've got a couple of volcanos kicking off at the moment,(Iceland, Chile, Ethiopia) I thought now would be a good time to start it.
Useful links.
European-Mediteranian Seismology centre
Live Internet seismic servers
Seismos/Helis/Tremor plots
Volcano webcams
USGS
USGS Volcanos
World Wide Volcano Program
RSOE World Dissaster Map

I'll try to keep it updated as much as possible, feel free to chip in if you feel so inclined. Other major earth hicups can also be included. Floods and incoming CMEs and stuff. But I'm going to be concentrating mainly on quakes and volcanos.

Hekla is ready to errupt.
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/icelands-gateway-hell-ready-erupt-014403690.html
One of Iceland's most feared volcanoes looks ready to erupt, raising fears of a new ash cloud over Europe.

The Hekla volcano is close to the ash-spewing Eyjafjoell, which last year caused the world's biggest airspace shut down since World War II, affecting more than 100,000 flights and eight million passengers.

Experts have said measurements of Hekla - dubbed "Gateway to Hell" by locals - indicate magma movement.

"The movements around Hekla have been unusual in the last two to three days," University of Iceland geophysicist Pall Einarsson said.

While this might not necessarily mean an immediate blast, "the volcano is ready to erupt," he stressed.

"The mountain has been slowly expanding in the last few years because of magma build up," he explained.

Another geophysicist, Ari Trausit Gudmundsson, said measurements around Hekla were very "unusual" and the volcano looked ready to blow.

"Something is going on," he said, stressing though that "if or when the volcano erupts is unclear."

Looks like Katla may have started to errupt.
http://www.mercurynews.com/breaking-news/ci_18446168?nclick_check=1

REYKJAVIK, Iceland—Scientists are monitoring Iceland's Katla volcano amid signs that a small eruption may be taking place.

The acting head of the Civil Protection Agency Iris Marelsdottir, says flooding is taking place near the volcano, caused by the melting of its ice cap.

But she says the flooding may have other causes—such as high geothermal heat—so it not yet clear whether there is an eruption.

Katla typically awakens every 80 years or so, and last erupted in 1918.

Iceland, in the remote North Atlantic, is a volcanic hotspot. In April 2010 ash from an eruption of its Eyjafjallajokul volcano grounded flights across Europe for days, disrupting travel for 10 million people.

Katla sits beside Eyjafjallajokul.

Here if you like :)
But there already is an Elenin thread ;)

edit to add- if you scroll to the bottom of the RSOE link in the first post, it has a NEO stats bit for anything in the immediate vicinity. (Elinin isn't due till October/september time though, and it's not expected to be visible to the naked eye unless you're lucky.)

Well, yes. But i reckon it's high time we shoock things up a bit, so I will lol hard if "that" scenario comes true. (I also highly doubt that it will, but there is always hope :D )

What are the chances of a new hotspot volcano popping up suddenly in the UK? Edinburgh used to have plenty of volcanism not so long ago, and it's a bit of shit hole so would be nice if it was engulfed in magma tomorrow, or maybe somewhere like Leicester.

Pretty unlikely to be honest, but you never know. Nabro was supposed to be extinct and it's kicked off. (now it has snapped into a very quit bit, just like Krakatoa did before it went BOOM, but I don't want to be allarmist, could be just coincidental behavior)

Either last week or the week before, a video did surface of a volcano errupting in Lincoln or somewhere, but that was just a fire in a warehouse or somerthing. :D (it's on youtube)

Oh, and Etna is having a bit of a yawn as of yesterday, but that's been blowing hot and cold for the last 18 months or so.

A volcano kicked off in Inonesia over the weekend too.
http://hisz.rsoe.hu/alertmap/woalert_read.php?edis=VA-20110711-31503-IDN
Indonesia on Monday said it would evacuate hundreds of people living near Mount Lokon on Sulawesi island after raising the volcano's alert status to the highest level. "We raised the volcano's status to the highest red alert level last night. There was a significant rise in volcanic activity since July 9. The volcano spewed ash 500 metres (1,600 feet) into the air over the weekend," government volcanologist Kristianto. "Today we will be evacuating people living within a 3.5-kilometre (two-mile) radius around the volcano as a precautionary measure, in case of a bigger eruption which may be accompanied by deadly searing gas," he added. Around 28,000 people live within the evacuation zone but only "hundreds" will be moved Monday, those in the path of the ash, as officials continue to monitor volcanic activity, disaster management agency spokesman Sutopo Purwo Nugroho said.

Officials said tourists would also be barred from going on popular day hikes to the 1,580-metre Mount Lokon, one of the most active volcanoes in Indonesia and located 20 kilometres away from North Sulawesi provincial capital of Manado. The volcano erupted in 1991, killing a Swiss tourist. Mount Soputan, another volcano in North Sulawesi province, erupted early this month, spewing ash and smoke 5,000 metres into the air. The Indonesian archipelago has dozens of active volcanoes and straddles major tectonic fault lines known as the "Ring of Fire" between the Pacific and Indian oceans. The country's most active volcano, Mount Merapi in central Java, has killed more than 350 people in a series of violent eruptions which started in late October.

Another volcano in iceland has errupted.
An eruption has occurred at another volcano in Iceland. A glacial outburst resulted from a subglacial eruption of Loki-Fögrufjöll Volcano on Tuesday night 12th July 2011. The glacial burst occurred from Köldukvíslarjökull, a part of Vatnajökull in southeast Iceland, in a location which was not previously known to have a geothermal area. The flood flowed down the Svedja river into Hágöngulón lagoon and lake Thórisvatn. A flood has never been recorded at this part of the glacier before, although the volcano possibly had subglacial eruptions in 1986 and 1991 from different locations. The water level of Hágöngulón rose 70 centimeters during the flood.
http://www.volcanolive.com/news.html

Ha, close......but not quite. Just have an interest in what the planet is up to. Volcanos are cool as fuck, I *heart* them quite a lot. Did you know that just the other week, we found 12 volcanos which we didn't know existed, all under the sea, one of them was around 3km high :cool:
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/07/110711104755.htm

There's bound to be loads more tucked away under the ocean.

I made a mistake on the last page, the Canary island swarm is on El Hierro not La Palma. La Palma is the one which some think may cause a devestating tsunami. My bad :oops:

Back
Top Bottom