Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Recommendation VMware Fusion & Workstation Pro Now Free for Personal Use

Throbbing Angel

uncivilly servile
It is used to run instances of other operating systems, mainly, in a safe container within your existing OS so you can test software, run viruses, do cybersecurity nonsense etc in a safe way. There may be other uses but that's what I've used it for.

So, you want to play Duke Nukem from the win95 days, but on your Mac.
You can install VMware, install a (legal copy of!) Win95 OS to that and then play Duke Nukem like in the good old days.
Much fun!

It is used to run instances of other operating systems, mainly, in a safe container within your existing OS so you can test software, run viruses, do cybersecurity nonsense etc in a safe way. There may be other uses but that's what I've used it for.

So, you want to play Duke Nukem from the win95 days, but on your Mac.
You can install VMware, install a (legal copy of!) Win95 OS to that and then play Duke Nukem like in the good old days.
Much fun!
That doesn't sound like a lot of fun for me so I'll pass. But thanks for the explanation.

It’s cloud computing software.
I used to know a guy who used to make £150k+ a year setting up virtual PCs using it. Freelancer.
I wonder if he still is.
It’s not really cloud software. Cloud providers let you spin up VMs on their cloud based servers but vm’s themselves aren’t anything to do with the cloud.

I use them all the time so I can test stuff with windows servers or virtual network kit. It’s also useful for installing a windows vm on a Mac. But yeah, it’s not an everyday user type thing.

I use Virtualbox from Oracle to do the same job over the years I've run various shades of Linux from Redhat, SuSE and Ubuntu plus Solaris 10 and Windows XP, 7,8 and 10 on a Windows 10 desktop. I did have a bash at getting MacOS X (Leopard IIRC) as well but that ended in complete and abject failure. Things like VMware and VirtualBox are a godsend to geeks but not a lot of use to the average computer user or normal people as Mrs Q insists on calling them.

'Scuse my ignorance but what does it do?

It went "zip" when it moved and "bop" when it stopped,
And "whirr" when it stood still.
I never knew just what it was and I guess I never will...

(for people of a certain age)

Could be handy for running a load of old music software from back in the windows 98 days I’ve hopefully still got stashed away somewhere. Just need to find a CD-Rom drive and a copy of Windows 98 now.

We've managed to piss of almost our entire user base who can't get away from us quickly enough, lets do something.

Fuck Broadcom. There's already free alternatives. Heck if you've got Windows Pro it's built into your OS.

We've managed to piss of almost our entire user base who can't get away from us quickly enough, lets do something.

Fuck Broadcom. There's already free alternatives. Heck if you've got Windows Pro it's built into your OS.

Aye, but can it do everything this can? (I have no idea).

And what have Broadcom been up to to piss people off?

Aye, but can it do everything this can? (I have no idea).

And what have Broadcom been up to to piss people off?

They bought VMWare who were are pretty well respected company and huge in virtualisation/date centers and are deliberately running it into the ground. Like increasing prices for customers by ten times. They know that most people will leave, but some will pay for a bit longer and a few huge customers will keep paying the much inflated prices until they totally run the company into the ground. I'm slightly bitter, as I've invested a fair bit of time learning ESXi/vSphere, although nowhere near as much as many.

I'd imagine Hyper V can do almost everything this can, one of the companies that stands to gain the most from this is Microsoft.

What's Broadcom done? I got the email about them taking over as previous customer of VMWare, only skim read it but not been following any stories.

They bought VMWare who were are pretty well respected company and huge in virtualisation/date centers and are deliberately running it into the ground. Like increasing prices for customers by ten times. They know that most people will leave, but some will pay for a bit longer and a few huge customers will keep paying the much inflated prices until they totally run the company into the ground. I'm slightly bitter, as I've invested a fair bit of time learning ESXi/vSphere, although nowhere near as much as many.

I'd imagine Hyper V can do almost everything this can, one of the companies that stands to gain the most from this is Microsoft.

That does sound shit. I learned a bit of Esxi but didn't take it to exam level. Just as running it on my HP server. Used to simulate small linux based networks in VMWare Workstation when I was a volunteer at a former local community WISP.

Last time I looked into using Parallels (I think) to enable me to run a specific Windows based application on my mac, if I remember right it would only let me use "Windows for ARM" and there was some doubt that the application would work on that ARM version.

Is this thing different in that regard, as in can it also run "Windows not for ARM" on recent macs with Apple silicon?

Last time I looked into using Parallels (I think) to enable me to run a specific Windows based application on my mac, if I remember right it would only let me use "Windows for ARM" and there was some doubt that the application would work on that ARM version.

Is this thing different in that regard, as in can it also run "Windows not for ARM" on recent macs with Apple silicon?
Dunno, it specifically mentions that the Mac version provides support for Windows 11 for Arm on silicon Macs but doesn't mention 'normal' Windows 11, 10, whatever. It may do so in the documentation with the download. You'd need to dig further I'm afraid.

Last edited:
Fusion on Apple Silicon will only run ARM VMs, so no Intel/AMD Windows/Linux. They said the engineering effort to emulate the architecture wasn't worth it.
There is an open source project which does it though: UTM

Fun fact: I used to work for a company that was one of (if not the) first firms to start reselling it in the UK, maybe 20 years back, after our CTO rightly identified it as being bloody brilliant. For a while there we made a fucking mint off it.

Fun fact: I used to work for a company that was one of (if not the) first firms to start reselling it in the UK, maybe 20 years back, after our CTO rightly identified it as being bloody brilliant. For a while there we made a fucking mint off it.
Similar thing - worked for one of the first hosting partners, before there was a service provider partner programme. It was an amazing set of technologies - seeing a VM move from one physical machine to another without any interruption was one of the closest things to magic I’d seen at the time.

Similar thing - worked for one of the first hosting partners, before there was a service provider partner programme. It was an amazing set of technologies - seeing a VM move from one physical machine to another without any interruption was one of the closest things to magic I’d seen at the time.

I never use the enterprise features on ESI, But when reading about the features in a book I got to try and get my head around it I was blown away with the whole Hot swappable VM massive transactional database thing. The enterprise level of Hot swapability of it. Just that being possible. TBH I was blown away with setting up all these little Linux routers running on my laptop and seeing shit happened. I tried to get into Kylie Lennox but that’s another story.

Back
Top Bottom