Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

US trade deal

This dangling carrot

Trump: US and UK working on 'very substantial' deal

Don't trade deals take years, sometimes decades

Yeah, that says, 'Mr Johnson and Mr Trump said they would begin formal negotiations "as soon as possible" after the UK leaves the EU', which I think was the plan anyway.

And, yes, you are right on the timescales for trade deals. I suppose you could take something like the US-Canada trade deal as a template, tweaking & tweeting as required, but it would still probably take a year or two at least.

Occam's razor says it's a blatant lie.
Yeah it is. I mean i'm sure there will be discussions and eventually a deal with US and every other trade partner but will take years and discussions can't really begin until after leaving. Linked piece even says discussions will begin after exit. But will be used to bolster Johnson.

Will it be done by October, lol

Firstly, not sure where you are getting October from. The article says nothing of the sort.

Secondly, there is no requirement for a trade deal for trade. There is already ‘trade’ between Britain (Europe) and America.

Third, a trade deal traditionally takes years but there is nothing to prevent a heads of terms or similar being drawn up more quickly.

I expect they have started talking already.

There is excitement over the NHS with UK folk saying, our NHS is not for sale etc .. but is it for sale? What could a trade deal imply for the NHS? I read that US pharma companies are mainly interested in the NHS because it has managed, through central buying, to depress drugs prices significantly compared to other markets and they would like this trend to be somehow reversed.

Firstly, not sure where you are getting October from. The article says nothing of the sort.

Secondly, there is no requirement for a trade deal for trade. There is already ‘trade’ between Britain (Europe) and America.

Third, a trade deal traditionally takes years but there is nothing to prevent a heads of terms or similar being drawn up more quickly.

I'm taking it from the understanding that these sort of statements don't happen accidently and therefore there is a purpose to Trump talking about a trade deal now post-Johnson (in a way which implies an advanced stage)

US won't do anything as they know that Boris and co are angling towards the "tariff down trouser" moment, like New Zealand in 1984. Lots of easy smiles and winks at the Department of State. Finally, get the redcoats down to size.

I'm taking it from the understanding that these sort of statements don't happen accidently and therefore there is a purpose to Trump talking about a trade deal now post-Johnson (in a way which implies an advanced stage)

The purpose is to put pressure on EU negotiators and to signal Britain is stepping up no deal preparations. In that sense it’s piss and bluster.

But, here’s the thing, a space now exists for Labour to set out the type of economy it wants and the trade deals it would seek to conclude. It could be based around promoting manufacturing, public ownership and protecting workers rights and environmental standards.

There are other economic models bar the race to the bottom EU single market project. Of course there is the Trump/Johnson ‘Singapore’ models. But now is as good a time as any to be highlighting how others might work. But Labour are retreating towards ‘neoliberalism via the single market is the best we can offer’

The purpose is to put pressure on EU negotiators and to signal Britain is stepping up no deal preparations. In that sense it’s piss and bluster.

But, here’s the thing, a space now exists for Labour to set out the type of economy it wants and the trade deals it would seek to conclude. It could be based around promoting manufacturing, public ownership and protecting workers rights and environmental standards.

There are other economic models bar the race to the bottom EU single market project. Of course there is the Trump/Johnson ‘Singapore’ models. But now is as good a time as any to be highlighting how others might work. But Labour are retreating towards ‘neoliberalism via the single market is the best we can offer’

Think the idea that Labour could set out a positive vision of a post EU future centred on common ownership, workers rights, & improving the lives of ordinary people ('the many') has sailed. They are in the quagmire of remain or norway now.

That really is a terrible read

I didn’t write it. But thanks anyway.

The article has two central arguments:

1. That corbyn failed to understand the transformative opportunities presented by Brexit. Instead he saw it as a ‘distraction’ from anti austerity politics.
2. That genuinely anti austerity politics are severely constrained and then ultimately defeated by the political economy of the EU.

Any views??

Last edited:
It's going to the best deal ever. No one will have a better deal. It's the best. Everyone knows that.

So the UK is now isolated from the EU and desperate (really desperate) for a BIG trade deal. For political and economic reasons.
Oh look....from out of nowhere...it’s Trump’s ‘America First’ USA coming to the rescue!
I wonder whether it’ll be fair?? I wonder if the NHS will finally be on the chopping block for good?? I wonder if the Health and Social care Act 2012 was an important piece of legislation creating the regulatory framework for the asset stripping to come??
Film at 11 (who’d of thunk it?).
David Cameron's adviser says health reform is a chance to make big profits

Last edited:
Quote from the BBC that typifies the naked naivete of the free traders (living in a country that has never really engaged in free trade...) Post-Brexit free trade 'won't offset leaving EU'

"The results from the UKTPO, which is based at the University of Sussex, show that moving to a free trade deal with the EU is beneficial overall for the UK agriculture and food processing sector, due to reduced competition from Continental farmers.

But that benefit is wiped out if US, Australian and New Zealand trade deals slash import tariffs and quotas, resulting in a surge of agricultural imports."

And that is the only acceptable outcome from a trade deal for three of the most efficient agricultural countries in the world.

The US is the UK's biggest single trading partner outside the EU but it still account for only one fifth of the trade we do with the EU so no one else is going to do deals with us until they know how close we are going to stay with the EU.
Everything Trump says can be ignored, apart from the fact he is a fucking idiot, US trade deals are done by Congress not the White House

Back
Top Bottom