Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Urban Guerrillas: The Decade of Leftwing Terrorism (video essay about the 1970s)

Jeff Robinson

Marxist-Lentilist: Jackboots and Jackfruit
This isn't a subject I'm very familiar with other than what I've seen in the mainstream press, but thought this video essay on the 1970s 'Urban Guerrilla' movements (e.g. the West German RAF, the Italian Red Brigades, the Japanese RAF, The US Weather Underground etc.) seems informative and well-researched. It discusses the backgrounds, influences, ideologies and causes of these groups, as well as their tactics, their demises, their political effects, and why, ultimately, they failed.

Any thoughts, further readings or recollections from anyone old enough to remember these movements welcome!

I cba watching that video, but it a subject I know a bit about. Depends what country you're interested in, but, thinking of a few of them:
Japan: Ill Will just recently published this on Japan's long '68, the article wasn't the easiest to read but definitely informative about a bit of history I didn't know that much about before:
Life of Militancy: Japan’s Long ’68 • Ill Will
Italy: the Angry Workers publish a fair bit of stuff about 1970s Italy, most of it isn't about the armed groups because that's not the most interesting bit of the situation, but they did this on Senza Tregua (No Ceasefire/Respite, which is confusingly also the name that the Bruce Willis film Hard Target was released under in Italy, I don't think Bruce Willis has any other connection to armed Italian Marxism though) which is pretty interesting: Senza Tregua – Working class political committees and violence in Italy 1973 to 1976 – Lessons for today - Angry Workers
Then there's your general texts on 70s Italy like Living With an Earthquake, States of Emergency etc: Italy 1977-8: Living with an earthquake - Red Notes States of emergency: cultures of revolt in Italy from 1968 to 1978 - Robert Lumley
West Germany: I remember Lost Honour of Katharina Blum as being a decent novel, and Deutschland im Herbst is worth a watch if you fancy a long film about it? I remember How It All Began by Bommi Baumann as being an interesting read for a first-hand account, although iirc he was like weirdly neutral about the Tupamaros West Berlin's attempt to bomb a Jewish community centre on the anniversary of Kristallnacht, which has to be right up there as one of the very worst ideas that anyone on "the left" has ever had.
USA: Recently read the book Rattling the Cages, which as a book about people who've served time in relation to political activity has a fair bit of relevance to this subject, it's not often you get to hear directly from people who'd been involved in the SLA for instance. Also, I think the history of 70s political violence in the US tends to get remembered as being mostly about the Weather Underground, and by extension as being about relatively rich white student kids, is worth mentioning that there was also the tendency within the Panthers that went underground and eventually became the BLA - plenty of sources if you fancy reading more about them, for instance A Soldier's Story by Kuwasi Balagoon - and then groups like the George Jackson Brigade and United Freedom Front, which were more made up of white working-class Vietnam veterans and the like. And to be clear, I don't think the choice to pick up the gun was a good one in any of those cases, but from a historical perspective, it seems a lot more explicable if you look at it from the perspective of Vietnam veterans who'd already been trained to fight.
And then there's Northern Ireland, which is a whole different story again. Not read the new book on the FAU, but that sounds interesting if you wanna learn more about armed struggle in Uruguay?

Thread reminded me that Satoshi Kirishima (of the East Asia Anti-Japan Armed Front) finally surfaced and promptly died after 50 years in hiding.

You'd see his face on the wanted posters forever, many thought him dead or in exile abroad.

I had a German colleague ask me once if the Provisionals had ever had links with the Baader-Meinhoff gang.

I cba watching that video, but it a subject I know a bit about. Depends what country you're interested in, but, thinking of a few of them:
Japan: Ill Will just recently published this on Japan's long '68, the article wasn't the easiest to read but definitely informative about a bit of history I didn't know that much about before:
Life of Militancy: Japan’s Long ’68 • Ill Will
Italy: the Angry Workers publish a fair bit of stuff about 1970s Italy, most of it isn't about the armed groups because that's not the most interesting bit of the situation, but they did this on Senza Tregua (No Ceasefire/Respite, which is confusingly also the name that the Bruce Willis film Hard Target was released under in Italy, I don't think Bruce Willis has any other connection to armed Italian Marxism though) which is pretty interesting: Senza Tregua – Working class political committees and violence in Italy 1973 to 1976 – Lessons for today - Angry Workers
Then there's your general texts on 70s Italy like Living With an Earthquake, States of Emergency etc: Italy 1977-8: Living with an earthquake - Red Notes States of emergency: cultures of revolt in Italy from 1968 to 1978 - Robert Lumley
West Germany: I remember Lost Honour of Katharina Blum as being a decent novel, and Deutschland im Herbst is worth a watch if you fancy a long film about it? I remember How It All Began by Bommi Baumann as being an interesting read for a first-hand account, although iirc he was like weirdly neutral about the Tupamaros West Berlin's attempt to bomb a Jewish community centre on the anniversary of Kristallnacht, which has to be right up there as one of the very worst ideas that anyone on "the left" has ever had.
USA: Recently read the book Rattling the Cages, which as a book about people who've served time in relation to political activity has a fair bit of relevance to this subject, it's not often you get to hear directly from people who'd been involved in the SLA for instance. Also, I think the history of 70s political violence in the US tends to get remembered as being mostly about the Weather Underground, and by extension as being about relatively rich white student kids, is worth mentioning that there was also the tendency within the Panthers that went underground and eventually became the BLA - plenty of sources if you fancy reading more about them, for instance A Soldier's Story by Kuwasi Balagoon - and then groups like the George Jackson Brigade and United Freedom Front, which were more made up of white working-class Vietnam veterans and the like. And to be clear, I don't think the choice to pick up the gun was a good one in any of those cases, but from a historical perspective, it seems a lot more explicable if you look at it from the perspective of Vietnam veterans who'd already been trained to fight.
And then there's Northern Ireland, which is a whole different story again. Not read the new book on the FAU, but that sounds interesting if you wanna learn more about armed struggle in Uruguay?
I take it "Tupamaros West Berlin" were local larpers, not the West Berlin branch of the actual Tupamaros (who were idiots in their own way, but bombing synagogues, that takes a special kind of stupid)?

This is a great read about June 2 Movement who were like a more hedonistic version of the Red Army Faction:

Also the local RAF connection: Astrid Proll – on the run in Hackney

Bommi Baumann also arrested Hackney when on the run...

More locals: The Angry Brigade - documents and chronology

This is the best thing written about all that urban guerilla stuff from a former Angry Brigader - Review: Vague's Anarchy in the UK: The Angry Brigade - John Barker
Is that the guy who said "I was the only one who was actually angry - the rest of them were the mildly irritated brigade"?

I take it "Tupamaros West Berlin" were local larpers, not the West Berlin branch of the actual Tupamaros (who were idiots in their own way, but bombing synagogues, that takes a special kind of stupid)?
Yep, no direct connection, most of them went on into either June 2 or the RAF. You can read the whole thing in How It All Began, helpfully linked by Fozzie above. Does also cover the great story of the "spectacles trick", where two defendants who looked vaguely similar appeared in court together, one had bail granted and one was denied, and the person who'd been denied bail was able to escape by just giving his glasses to the other defendant and then walking out quickly as though he was allowed to.

Oh, and thinking about Uruguay reminds me of an amazing anecdote I heard on a podcast about the FAU, when the FAU/OPR kidnapped an unpopular but very rich businessman and received a $10 million ransom, which was apparently the result of a misunderstanding where they'd asked for dos millones de dolares but the person on the other end of the phone heard it as diez millones de dolares.

This isn't a subject I'm very familiar with other than what I've seen in the mainstream press, but thought this video essay on the 1970s 'Urban Guerrilla' movements (e.g. the West German RAF, the Italian Red Brigades, the Japanese RAF, The US Weather Underground etc.) seems informative and well-researched. It discusses the backgrounds, influences, ideologies and causes of these groups, as well as their tactics, their demises, their political effects, and why, ultimately, they failed.

Any thoughts, further readings or recollections from anyone old enough to remember these movements welcome!

David Caute's Sixty-Eight: The Year Of The Barricades is a breezy narrative overview of a lot of the things happening around that time, and a good starting point for further reading (though bear in mind it's nearly 30 years old). It's available for free loan from the Internet Archive:

David Caute's Sixty-Eight: The Year Of The Barricades is a breezy narrative overview of a lot of the things happening around that time, and a good starting point for further reading (though bear in mind it's nearly 30 years old). It's available for free loan from the Internet Archive:

There's also a slightly better scan of the US edition to borrow at archive.org or to download from this temporary link

If anyone's desperate to read more about the 2 June Movement, there's a new book coming out about them soon:

Hadn't heard of it before, but apparently there's also a book about Danish bank robbers called Turning Money into Rebellion:

If anyone's desperate to read more about the 2 June Movement, there's a new book coming out about them soon:

Hadn't heard of it before, but apparently there's also a book about Danish bank robbers called Turning Money into Rebellion:

That reminds me, this by Dave Haslam sounds intriguing:
In ‘All You Need Is Dynamite’, the latest in his Art Decades series of small format books, Dave Haslam explores the fading of Sixties dreams of peace and love, and the emergence of urban terrorist groups, particularly the Angry Brigade who carried out dozens of bomb attacks in Britain.

Haslam tracks the political campaigns, the police repression, and discovers Angry Brigade links to Manchester and the city’s underground paper Mole Express (a bible for local acid-freaks, and fans of the Weather Underground and the Edgar Broughton Band).

Picking his way through forgotten streets and demolished clubs, and the pages of underground newspapers, Haslam uncovers a heady mix of left-wing politics, psychedelic music, police raids and political violence.

Screenshot 2024-09-09 at 20.26.17.png

Back
Top Bottom