Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Unofficial Cardboard (cheap VR headset)

2hats

Dust.
I've just been playing with one of these:
Set.jpeg

Google Cardboard inspired budget VR headset that fits a wide range of smartphones($15-$26). There are a number of fun apps for it (though I wouldn't include the VR tour of the new Google store in London amongst them, to be honest) but it's almost as much fun watching other people (trying to) use it.

Oculus Rift have done a good job of persuading me that VR is like, well hard, and should only be trusted to their specially advanced magic people. So it's quite funny to see a company presenting their work in completely the opposite way.
Still, it will be interesting to see if other players, like these and Valve, etc. have really cracked the 'hard stuff', or if they are just toys (so to speak). Opinions?

Cardboard is a lot of fun, and a lot better than I though it would be before I played with it.

Oculus rift is pretty cool too, I've had a play with the DK2 and it was good fun, resolution and refresh rate were not nearly high enough to be convincing though.

I think that oculus has lost the edge at the moment, currently the crown of topo vr is held by the SteamVR which appears to have leapfrogged all others, decent resolution and refresh rate, a working mechanism to control objects in game and crucially the ability to meld the outside world with the VR one meaning you can walk around with the headset on without bumping into stuff.

I was pretty meh about the vr stuff until I had read about the steamvr, now I REALLY want one.

http://www.pcgamer.com/steamvr-hands-on-valve-overtakes-oculus/

I've just ordered a new phone with a full HD screen but probably lacking the necessary sensors for full VR, but what interests me is whether I can simply get a non-3d cinema experience with one of these cheap headset adaptors ?

I've just ordered a new phone with a full HD screen but probably lacking the necessary sensors for full VR, but what interests me is whether I can simply get a non-3d cinema experience with one of these cheap headset adaptors ?
I got one today.

Yes, you sort of can.
Problem is that even with a QHD phone display, it's pretty low res when it's blown up to the size of a cinema screen.

Back
Top Bottom