Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Recommendation Ultra budget, ultra portable word processing options

chilango

Hypothetical Wanker
Seeing some very old Surface RTs going for £30-60 got me thinking.

My daughter has basically nabbed my old Chromebook and my Laptop's are either a bricky work machine that I don't like using for personal stuff, or a very very old bulky and slow 12 year old laptop.

So I'd quite like something I can use for writing and carry about with me. Word or Google Office with some sort of actual keyboard. Need to be able to connect to the net to save to the cloud but not much else.

Any tips?

Seeing some very old Surface RTs going for £30-60 got me thinking.

My daughter has basically nabbed my old Chromebook and my Laptop's are either a bricky work machine that I don't like using for personal stuff, or a very very old bulky and slow 12 year old laptop.

So I'd quite like something I can use for writing and carry about with me. Word or Google Office with some sort of actual keyboard. Need to be able to connect to the net to save to the cloud but not much else.

Any tips?

What size screen?

Predictably I'm going to suggest a cheapo Chromebook. Huge battery life, cheap as chips, reliable and nippy. Asus and Acer both do cheap small screen numbers.

Not too bothered. 7"+, 10"+ better.

Are you used to working on a screen that small? 12” is about as small as I find useable for work.

If you want super small an Android tablet with a decent keyboard might be workable. However, I’d personally go for a 2nd hand Thinkpad if constrained by budget.

Are you used to working on a screen that small? 12” is about as small as I find useable for work.

If you want super small an Android tablet with a decent keyboard might be workable. However, I’d personally go for a 2nd hand Thinkpad if constrained by budget.
I use my 10.1" Asus Flip Chromebook almost every day and I've found it a great size to just bung in my bag.

Much as I love ThinkPads, Windows is an absolute dog compared to Chromebooks if you want to quickly flip open a laptop and make some notes.

I use my 10.1" Asus Flip Chromebook almost every day and I've found it a great size to just bung in my bag.

Much as I love ThinkPads, Windows is an absolute dog compared to Chromebooks if you want to quickly flip open a laptop and make some notes.

I always slap a Linux distro on my old Thinkpads. It’s a bit more forgiving on old hardware.

I always slap a Linux distro on my old Thinkpads. It’s a bit more forgiving on old hardware.
True, but not everyone wants to dip into the world of Linux distros!

I've got a high end Windows ThinkPad at home and I've barely touched it in years, as the £199 Chromebook has proved so handy for general use when I'm out and about.

Predictably I'm going to suggest a cheapo Chromebook. Huge battery life, cheap as chips, reliable and nippy. Asus and Acer both do cheap small screen numbers.

That would be my choice if I were looking for something new or more fully fledgrd. But I'm looking super super cheap (2nd hand / refurb / old old model type stuff).

Like I said it's literally just for writing on when I'm out and about. Doesn't need to do much else or be fast/powerful or anything like that really.

That would be my choice if I were looking for something new or more fully fledgrd. But I'm looking super super cheap (2nd hand / refurb / old old model type stuff).

Like I said it's literally just for writing on when I'm out and about. Doesn't need to do much else or be fast/powerful or anything like that really.
Not sure how cheap you're looking for, but there's plenty of CBooks on eBay for around £50

e.g.

I find it really difficult to work properly on a small screen. I'd go for largest that's convenient.

Anyone saying Linux is a desktop OS are deluding themselves any of the frontends aren't just buggy hot messes. Terrible. Linux servers on the other hand I use to run works entire production IaaS VM's. Fantastic.

Worth keeping an eye 2nd hand iPad Pros, the 1st gen 11", the 1st ones with the thin border no button are going for £499 with 4G at the moment on ebay. Only 468g. I expect this to change in the 2-3 months as they are releasing the new version next week for £750 new so I can't see how it will retain that value. You can spend lots of money on that Apple stand+keyboard or go for a lot cheaper third party alternatives as low as £15, works with Bluetooth keyboards.

Obv if you only want to spend < £100 quid you're going to get what you pay for.

Anyone saying Linux is a desktop OS are deluding themselves any of the frontends aren't just buggy hot messes. Terrible. Linux servers on the other hand I use to run works entire production IaaS VM's. Fantastic.

Worth keeping an eye 2nd hand iPad Pros, the 1st gen 11", the 1st ones with the thin border no button are going for £499 with 4G at the moment on ebay. Only 468g. I expect this to change in the 2-3 months as they are releasing the new version next week for £750 new so I can't see how it will retain that value. You can spend lots of money on that Apple stand+keyboard or go for a lot cheaper third party alternatives as low as £15, works with Bluetooth keyboards.

Come on - that's total overkill - there's no way do you need to spend £500 for "something I can use for writing and carry about with me. Word or Google Office with some sort of actual keyboard."

The iPad would bring no meaningful advantages over a second-hand Chromebook bought for a fifth of the price!

Come on - that's total overkill - there's no way do you need to spend £500 for "something I can use for writing and carry about with me. Word or Google Office with some sort of actual keyboard."

The iPad would bring no meaningful advantages over a second-hand Chromebook bought for a fifth of the price!

Indeed. As it happens I've an old iPad2 that would do the job if I could figure out how to get into it having forgotten the password.

But, yeah, utter overkill for my purposes.

Been looking at cheapo 2nd hand android tablets too. Presumably you get get keyboards for them?

I literally just need Google Drive/Docs or Word with an internet connection and a keyboard. Everything else can be done elsewhere.

So, yeah. a Chromebook would be ideal if I can find one supercheap.

Indeed. As it happens I've an old iPad2 that would do the job if I could figure out how to get into it having forgotten the password.

But, yeah, utter overkill for my purposes.

Been looking at cheapo 2nd hand android tablets too. Presumably you get get keyboards for them?

I literally just need Google Drive/Docs or Word with an internet connection and a keyboard. Everything else can be done elsewhere.

So, yeah. a Chromebook would be ideal if I can find one supercheap.
I'll never go for the cheapo option. Buy cheap, buy twice.

You just go online to reset your Apple ID? It's super easy. Apple ID
Alternative if you know someone with an iPhone or iPad you just get them to download the support app, which lets them initiate the password reset on your Apple ID.

I'll never go for the cheapo option. Buy cheap, buy twice.

Alternative if you know someone with an iPhone or iPad you just get them to download the support app, which lets them initiate the password reset on your Apple ID.
I bought a cheapo £199 ChromeBook. It's lasted me over 4 years. I take it on the road, use it for DJing, use it for writing, use it for watching movies and it's still as fast as fuck with a great battery life . And it's got a proper keyboard.

Give me a single reason why paying 3-4 times as much for an iPad would be even remotely logical in the context of this thread.

The year is 2021. Mint and Ubuntu are slick these days.

The year is 2021. Mint and Ubuntu are slick these days.
That is indeed true, but to the average punter, Chromebooks are infinitely easier to use. And that's why sales are going through the roof.

well quite, you just install, click libreOffice and open your document
That is indeed true, but to the average punter, Chromebooks are infinitely easier to use. And that's why sales are going through the roof.

I've not used Chromebooks so can't really say but I think infinitely is a bit of an exaggeration here :)

I've not used Chromebooks so can't really say but I think infinitely is a bit of an exaggeration here :)
To the average punter I honestly do believe that to be the case. I've messed around with Linux and got very frustrated in the past.

not if you're just using it for word processing or surfing the web, really.

Infinitely is a very long time.

I bought a cheapo £199 ChromeBook. It's lasted me over 4 years. I take it on the road, use it for DJing, use it for writing, use it for watching movies and it's still as fast as fuck with a great battery life . And it's got a proper keyboard.

Give me a single reason why paying 3-4 times as much for an iPad would be even remotely logical in the context of this thread.
Your maths is terrible. I said watch the price as it's £499 now for the more expensive 4G version. The 64Gb wifi only version is as low as £300. With the new M1 version being £750 this can only drive down these prices more.

I always feel it's good to recommend something more capable than you think you need, then you're not hampered by it and forced into buying something new. I'm happy that you are happy with your underpowered device.

I am a power user, I don't do cheapo options.

Your maths is terrible. I said watch the price as it's £499 now for the more expensive 4G version. The 64Gb wifi only version is as low as £300. With the new M1 version being £750 this can only drive down these prices more.

I always feel it's good to recommend something more capable than you think you need, then you're not hampered by it and forced into buying something new. I'm happy that you are happy with your underpowered device.

I am a power user, I don't do cheapo options.
But the poster is not asking for power user options. They're asking for cheap and basic.

Chromebook does seem good option but surely cheapest would be to get the old iPad2 working.

ah ok, I don't know them. As I said good keyboard is critical for me but usb keyboard would work well enough for most puters.

When I need to do "proper" typing on my iPad I use a Bluetooth keyboard. Ms Dess used to have a cover with built in keyboard for her iPad 1. Both work(ed) really well. If we were using them more seriously we would get the case/keyboard for convenience.

Back
Top Bottom