Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

UC Telephone Compliance Interview

Mld2072

Has anyone got any experience of what these are about please? Just been given 3 days notice of one and I've never even heard of it before. I have no idea what these interviews are even about?

Thank you

This is the letter I received? Does it sound sinister?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2021-11-08-12-58-46-456~4.jpeg
    Screenshot_2021-11-08-12-58-46-456~4.jpeg
    119.4 KB · Views: 58
  • Screenshot_2021-11-08-13-00-49-683~2.jpeg
    Screenshot_2021-11-08-13-00-49-683~2.jpeg
    118.5 KB · Views: 58
Any chance someone could have maliciously reported you as a) working but not declaring it or b) claiming as single but actually living with a partner? That's been my experience when I have had to deal with similar letter from HMRC for child tax credits in the past. If you've told them everything you should have told them, then don't worry. If you've not mentioned something like that and should have, get yourself armed with facts and explanation as far as you can.

I'd be surprised if that's the case as nobody knows me where I live anyway and wouldn't even know I'm on UC. But I'm single anyway so that's not an issue for me and I don't work.

I'd be surprised if that's the case as nobody knows me where I live anyway and wouldn't even know I'm on UC. But I'm single anyway so that's not an issue for me and I don't work.
You should be fine then. Try not to worry about it, it's probably just a general fishing-for-fraud thing. The joys of having to explain the ins and outs of your finances to strangers in order to be allowed to keep claiming your pittance :rolleyes:

I know. Even worse the letter feels so accusatory. It's triggered my anxiety disorder so I won't be able to sleep or eat for the next three days, so when the phone does ring I'll be having a full blown panic attack and probably get so confused from lack of sleep and food that I won't be able to answer their questions anyway.

I know. Even worse the letter feels so accusatory. It's triggered my anxiety disorder so I won't be able to sleep or eat for the next three days, so when the phone does ring I'll be having a full blown panic attack and probably get so confused from lack of sleep and food that I won't be able to answer their questions anyway.
It's nasty isn't it. They deliberately try to make you feel guilty even though you've done nothing wrong. Give them the shortest answer you can get away with, and remember that you've done nothing wrong and you're entitled to whatever pittance you're receiving.

It's not good. Almost feels like a punishment for having poor mental health. God knows what state I'm going to be in when the phone rings.

The call will be recorded. Just tell the truth & all will be well.
It is meant to intimidate you but don't worry it is standard procedure.
It will be just some twat following orders. If you are entitled to your UC then you have nothing to fear.
When talking to the phone try and remember they work for you.
Good luck & stay calm. Xx

I know that's the logical reaction, but unfortunately I know the anxiety is really going to effect me terribly before I even get the call. I don't think I'll cope too well.

These people are horrible and being rude and so accusatory is their default way of communicating and it really ought to be banned.

no advice but best wishes to you. Have you got any one to support with the anxiety and panic? anyone to help you when the phone rings - or before or after?

I know that's the logical reaction, but unfortunately I know the anxiety is really going to effect me terribly before I even get the call. I don't think I'll cope too well.
You can cope.

It is a call from someone doing a shite job that they probably hate. Think of them wearing a panda suite or naked & just make sure you tell the truth unless you are blagging something.

Think ahead to how you will have a natural buzz after the call has ended.

They work for you.

Strange I was trying to find this thread today. It looks like it might be a suspect over payment. So basically they want statements from an account I last used a decade ago to make sure there's no savings in it, otherwise my claim will be suspended. Even though the bank won't speak to me by phone, letter or in branch because I can't pass their security checks. Which is hardly surprising when I don't even know the account details after a decade and have since moved three times. Why on earth they chose to ask for statements from an account that has been inactive for a decade god only knows but it looks like they will suspend my housing benefit and UC becase obviously I can't give them what they are asking for because the bank won't deal with me unless I pass their security checks, which I can't because I haven't used the account for a decade and don't know the details. Of course let's not forget dwp have the powers to contact the bank anyway to get the information they need themselves. But I have to do all the admin work for them instead at my own expense. You couldn't make it up.

Strange I was trying to find this thread today. It looks like it might be a suspect over payment. So basically they want statements from an account I last used a decade ago to make sure there's no savings in it, otherwise my claim will be suspended. Even though the bank won't speak to me by phone, letter or in branch because I can't pass their security checks. Which is hardly surprising when I don't even know the account details after a decade and have since moved three times. Why on earth they chose to ask for statements from an account that has been inactive for a decade god only knows but it looks like they will suspend my housing benefit and UC becase obviously I can't give them what they are asking for because the bank won't deal with me unless I pass their security checks, which I can't because I haven't used the account for a decade and don't know the details. Of course let's not forget dwp have the powers to contact the bank anyway to get the information they need themselves. But I have to do all the admin work for them instead at my own expense. You couldn't make it up.
Do you have any old statements with the details on by any chance? I'm sorry this has happened. Could you contact the bank head office and ask for advice on how to regain access?

Working for you is the last thing they do at the DWP. Any fucking excuse to cut your benefits. :mad:
Tell me about it. Got sanctioned for not attending an interview that I never got the letter about.
I must say the west country DWP staff seem more helpful than the cunts in Tottenham who seemed to get some perverse delight about fucking you over.

The problem is I've moved three times in ten years and can't update my address details to get a letter sent out because I can't confirm the account details. Who keeps details of bank accounts that closed a decade ago? Nobody does. My lost account doesn't work because you need the account details. I am hitting a brick wall at every turn. The worst part is they have the powers to get all this information from the bank themselves anyway and don't even need to put me through all this mental torment.

The problem is I've moved three times in ten years and can't update my address details to get a letter sent out because I can't confirm the account details. Who keeps details of bank accounts that closed a decade ago? Nobody does. My lost account doesn't work because you need the account details. I am hitting a brick wall at every turn. The worst part is they have the powers to get all this information from the bank themselves anyway and don't even need to put me through all this mental torment.
If the account is closed then they will know it or be able to confirm that. Set that all out in a well written letter and send it to them, registered delivery. Also send copies to your MP and anyone else that may be able to exert pressure, the bank in question too. Make a fuss and keep on top of it, keep the paperwork, eventually they will have to reinstate your money without a gap as you entitled to it.

Think of it as savings.

You could also get your doctor to sign you off sick with stress, as I'm sure it is a worrying situation.

Best of luck

That's the worst part. I am already off sick with a stress related mental illness. I'm going to have to write to them telling that what they are asking me for is logistically impossible and if they think I've been over paid the burden of proof lies with them, not me. So they need to get the evidence themselves.

That's the worst part. I am already off sick with a stress related mental illness. I'm going to have to write to them telling that what they are asking me for is logistically impossible and if they think I've been over paid the burden of proof lies with them, not me. So they need to get the evidence themselves.
That's right.

Send all correspondence to them registered delivery/ signature on delivery. Keep anything they send you.

I believe that a copy of a letter can be given to your gp as they are obliged to note it and it provides some kind of official record for you.

I think this will blow over so try not to let it get you down.

I would use less of the 'burden of proof angle' and more of the 'I've really tried to get this information but I cannot, are you able to help me?'

Alternatively I would go to a bank branch armed with plenty of ID and any info you do have and see if they can help.

Hope you are okay. You would be lucky to get someone good to deal with your case. Tell them you cannot get the information but they can.

God I hate the DWP but actually have to say that the peeps in the Yeovil JCP did actually try and help whereas those in Tottenham were really nasty.

Nothing more useful to add apart from wishing you all the best. Xx

Thanks for your support. I think I am going to have to appeal to their human side to at least help me to give them what they want. Logistically it gives me nightmares because I'm hitting a wall at every turn. They won't help me in branch or on the phone. If the letter I sent doesn't work then I'm stuck. It's been such a stressful past week, I thought I was going to lose my home at first. Anything else I could give them straight away but a bank account that hasn't even been used for a decade that I can't even remember is ridiculous.

I think I am going to have to appeal to their human side

hmm at that. i'm not sure DWP staff are allowed to have a human side any more.

on the subject of bank, i'd have thought most banks would have some sort of process akin to this (nationwide) although how you prove an address you moved away from years ago may be more difficult (do you have anything official on paper from that address still?)

this is the page that came up searching on nationwide lost account (obviously i don't know which bank we're talking about here and don't want you to say so here) so may be worth trying similar with your bank's name.

you may have to go to head office level rather than local branch.

i just tried another bank (NatWest) at random - their site says

Naturally, the more information we have about a potential dormant bank account, the easier it will be for us to locate and organise the appropriate distribution of any funds. Therefore, being able to provide specific account details is beneficial.

If you don't have these details, we will strive to identify the account via other sources of information, if at all possible.

so i wonder if you just got someone at call centre / local branch who didn't know what the procedure is and didn't want to try.

they way i read 'my lost account' was that it would help if you know the account number, but it wasn't essential - since you have to complete one bit before going on to the next, i couldn't see how you would enter 'not known'

did you actually close this account, or is it just dormant with maybe a few quid in it? i don't know how long banks would keep records of closed accounts (bearing in mind that data protection means you're not supposed to keep personal data for ever)

i'm too long out of the game with benefits to know what to do - inclined to wonder if it's worth getting local citizens advice (or any local welfare rights service, or if you've got a support worker or anything like that) involved. CAB is largely volunteer run and under-funded, so it may be a case of make an appointment rather than just turn up and expect to see someone.

Truthfully I can't remember the details at the time but I think the bank closed the account themselves after extensive inactivity on it. In the letter I sent I put things only I would know such as the address the account was registered at and when I subsequently moved and updated the new address. I almost got logged in online but got a security question wrong and was blocked which was annoying because I was so close.

I think at worst I'll have to get some advice from cab as whatever way I do it I don't think it is going to be simple. The nice dwp have agreed to give me until after Christmas to fathom a way to get the evidence they want anyway, so at least they plan to let me have something to live on over the festive season. I should write and thank them really. Not.

Odd they want something dating back that far when even the inland revenue only demand that records are kept for 10 years. Best wishes and strength to you.

Truthfully I can't remember the details at the time but I think the bank closed the account themselves after extensive inactivity on it. In the letter I sent I put things only I would know such as the address the account was registered at and when I subsequently moved and updated the new address. I almost got logged in online but got a security question wrong and was blocked which was annoying because I was so close.

I think at worst I'll have to get some advice from cab as whatever way I do it I don't think it is going to be simple. The nice dwp have agreed to give me until after Christmas to fathom a way to get the evidence they want anyway, so at least they plan to let me have something to live on over the festive season. I should write and thank them really. Not.
I was reading this and thinking if you can get help from CAB, or another local money service then that would be really helpful. Definitely a good idea I think. Sorry you're going through this.

Back
Top Bottom