Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Two beavers are moving to Ealing

They'd have to take a very odd route to the Thames to do that.

Typically, Ealing beavers would travel due south via Brentford and arrive at the river somewhere between there and Kew, which is, of course, upstream of Central London. Any damming activity there is more likely to flood Isleworth or Richmond. There's a small chance that they'd come into town via the A40, into The City, and perhaps seek to dam the river around Tower Bridge, which could well result in something like your picture happening, but it's a long journey on short legs so my money's on Richmond taking the brunt of this. I'd certainly be seeking high ground if I lived there.

They'd have to take a very odd route to the Thames to do that.

Typically, Ealing beavers would travel due south via Brentford and arrive at the river somewhere between there and Kew, which is, of course, upstream of Central London. Any damming activity there is more likely to flood Isleworth or Richmond. There's a small chance that they'd come into town via the A40, into The City, and perhaps seek to dam the river around Tower Bridge, which could well result in something like your picture happening, but it's a long journey on short legs so my money's on Richmond taking the brunt of this. I'd certainly be seeking high ground if I lived there.

Unscientific twaddle. It’s obvious that they could get in the District Line at Ealing Common and hop off at either Embankment or Temple.

Unscientific twaddle. It’s obvious that they could get in the District Line at Ealing Common and hop off at either Embankment or Temple.

Leaving aside the ridiculous notion of 2 beavers travelling unaccompanied on the tube; a cursory glance at your picture shows the river in flood way past both Embankment and Temple stations.

Leaving aside the ridiculous notion of 2 beavers travelling unaccompanied on the tube; a cursory glance at your picture shows the river in flood way past both Embankment and Temple stations.

Well obviously they’d get the Thames Clipper from Embankment pier downstream. And why do you think them traveling unaccompanied so bizarre? Beavers are short enough to get under the ticket barriers at most gatelines.

Last edited:
Sound like the beavers are doing well

“The beavers absolutely love it here,” says Nadya Mirochnitchenko, an ecologist and coordinator for Ealing Wildlife Group, a volunteer-run community organization that is leading a scheme to reintroduce them. “In fact, they are getting kinda chubby.”

...Dr. Sean McCormack, chair of the Ealing Wildlife Group, says that although scientific studies are still underway, the beavers have already had an “anecdotal” impact. “A few weeks after they came, there were two massive storms that led to floods,” he says. “But three or four months later, there were more storms, and the same storm drain was only trickling. It’s because the beavers have built dams to slow the flow.”

Back
Top Bottom