Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Tube from Heathrow vs staying on a coach

Elpenor

Dancing as fast as I can
So, every now and then I’m getting a national express coach to London, when I do so my final destination is very often my friends house in Wood Green, which is less than two minutes walk from the tube station.

The coach usually stops at Heathrow Central (terminals 2/3) and near to Earls Court tube station - these are both on the Piccadilly line as is of course Wood Green.

My question - am I better off disembarking at Heathrow and hopping on the tube there? It can take an hour or so to get to Victoria from Heathrow, plus there’s the walk to Victoria tube station and the journey from there involves a change.

The tube from Heathrow to Wood Green wouldn’t take any longer would it, and there aren’t any disadvantages to taking it? Would it cost more in the tube from Heathrow?

Tube from Heathrow will cost a couple of quid more. Tube from Heathrow will definitely be quicker than going all the way to Victoria, but if you can get off at Earl's Court, that speeds things up. I've done that - the tube station is a short walk from the drop-off point. IIRC it's only hand luggage if you're getting off at EC.

Hmm priorities:

Saving time, staying dry, access to a better loo than a coach if getting off at Heathrow
Only ever have a small rucksack that comes on coach with me.

I reckon you'd save five to ten minutes getting the tube from Heathrow rather than Earl's Court. Depends on the traffic, but getting off at Heathrow takes that out of the equation. (Also, the trains from EC will be more frequent.) There wouldn't be all that much in it, though.

But yes, you're pretty much bound to get a seat from Heathrow. From EC, depends on the time of day.

I would probably stay on the coach to EC to save a couple of quid. But I'm a cheap fucker and I'd also probably rather sit on a coach than in a tube train.

Last edited:
The deep level bits of the Piccadilly line also don't have wifi which is an issue for me so I'd probably stick on the bus and save the cash.

There is of course the Elizabeth line which I think will be faster - but more expensive, and which will take you to Paddington and (from November) further into central London (again deep level), but still I'd just stick on the bus for all the hassle its worth.

I need to go to Heathrow on Sunday so was checking for engineering work etc. TFL journey planner keeps suggesting the Heathrow Express with the total journey (including the bit to Paddington) costing 27 quid. One way. Ffs. 😡

(The tube's £7 something, EL is on a reduced service. Guess I'll be getting the tube.)

The deep level bits of the Piccadilly line also don't have wifi which is an issue for me so I'd probably stick on the bus and save the cash.

There is of course the Elizabeth line which I think will be faster - but more expensive, and which will take you to Paddington and (from November) further into central London (again deep level), but still I'd just stick on the bus for all the hassle its worth.
It only ducks underground at Baron's court, though.

thanks all - that’s really helpful, i am now wondering if this option would be any quicker for other destinations in the centre of London - but requiring a change from the Piccadilly line - thinking specifically the museum of London. I think it might be a bit easier to get

Time of day is likely to be after lunch, so hopefully after the main bank of intercontinental arrivals into Heathrow and so fewer people with lots of luggage; theoretically at least!

thanks all - that’s really helpful, i am now wondering if this option would be any quicker for other destinations in the centre of London - but requiring a change from the Piccadilly line - thinking specifically the museum of London. I think it might be a bit easier to get

Time of day is likely to be after lunch, so hopefully after the main bank of intercontinental arrivals into Heathrow and so fewer people with lots of luggage; theoretically at least!

Once the Elizabeth line is running fully from Heathrow into central and east London with no interchange, I'd argue it may be worth jumping on at Heathrow and then getting off at Farringdon if you want to go top the Museum of London. It'll require no changes.

Thanks - that’s really handy, obviously I know how to use a map, but it’s the primary experience from everyday users that’s so helpful :)

Today’s the day!

For anyone doing this but with a ticket booked through to London Victoria, the drivers aren’t keen on you doing this as tickets to and from Heathrow are subject to an additional charge levied by the airport.

My driver let me off though. Obviously they won’t know you’re doing that unless you have a bag in the hold.

Last edited:
Nope, I realised it was closed a few days ago.

I did have a few museums in mind, which were doable by public transport, but now going to meet a friend I’ve not seen in ages

Reactions: Sue
Nope, I realised it was closed a few days ago.

I did have a few museums in mind, which were doable by public transport, but now going to meet a friend I’ve not seen in ages
Oh good. Was just worried about you trekking all the way there then finding it was closed.

Today’s the day!

For anyone doing this but with a ticket booked through to London Victoria, the drivers aren’t keen on you doing this as tickets to and from Heathrow are subject to an additional charge levied by the airport.

My driver let me off though. Obviously they won’t know you’re doing that unless you have a bag in the hold.

I wonder why drivers would be bothered by that.

Presumably if you've a ticket to Victoria but just disembark at Heathrow, nobody at Heathrow who cares is going to be there and checking things. And it would be fair enough to National Express to say they can hardly stop people getting off earlier if they wanted.

I wonder why drivers would be bothered by that.

Presumably if you've a ticket to Victoria but just disembark at Heathrow, nobody at Heathrow who cares is going to be there and checking things. And it would be fair enough to National Express to say they can hardly stop people getting off earlier if they wanted.
They seemed to think it might be a problem if someone from Heathrow was monitoring it but I can’t see why. Sounds more like a bit of revenue protection from NE, a bit like hidden city ticketing in aviation

If it makes a difference to you, note that Heathrow tube fares are now peak rate at all times on zone 1 Heathrow journeys. It's been suggested that this can be avoided if you get off at Hatton Cross, touch out, touch back in and continue the journey, but who can be asked with that?

Back
Top Bottom