Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Trouble at Peace News

Fozzie Bear

Looks like all the staff have resigned in protest at their treatment by the Peace News Trustees.

I wasn't an avid reader but it looks like a right old mess. The same trustees also hold sway over the excellent Housmans bookshop, which I have been an enthusiastic visitor of for 37 years.
It would be a big blow if Housman's closed.

The Trust owns the building (and apparently things like the Peace News brand name and such) and acts as the formal employer of the editorial group. It's not uncommon in progressive circles, the idea is to provide continuity and support for the project and protect assets in case the worst happens.

A fair number of ex-Peace House types say the PNT is a mix of a bit useless and in some cases reckon they know better/should be in charge while having no real grounds to think so.

Freedom's done a news article with the PNT's response, and a Collective statement:

Excellent statement. The structural role of Trustees is 'fascinating'... a seemingly unaccountable class. From my understanding in charities there are strong rules of governance about what Trustees can do or not, but those rules melt away in a private business / limited company.

There's an important lesson here about building accountability into the structure so that an organisation can survive over time. I'm not sure what the solution is. Can anyone point to a better model?

I would say the workers co-op model, but then look at what happened to workers coop Zed Books - the workers who inherited it/found themselves working there (and were therefore also owners) chose to sell it to another publisher and cashed in massive sums for themselves off the back of decades of work done by other people.

Freedom has trustees of the building in the form of a dormant company, with their formal constitution stating that they only exist to support Freedom Press. Which means as long as Freedom continues to publish as an extant group, and there's enough money around to cover things like the business rates, their criteria are met. They have no formal role in any other aspect of the group, and thus no formal power to order people about. We've had occasional disputes (eg. when we had a big bill come in a while back and the Friends were concerned that it couldn't be covered) but they could never have just walked in and said to anyone "we're in charge, do as we say."

Freedom has trustees of the building in the form of a dormant company, with their formal constitution stating that they only exist to support Freedom Press. Which means as long as Freedom continues to publish as an extant group, and there's enough money around to cover things like the business rates, their criteria are met. They have no formal role in any other aspect of the group, and thus no formal power to order people about. We've had occasional disputes (eg. when we had a big bill come in a while back and the Friends were concerned that it couldn't be covered) but they could never have just walked in and said to anyone "we're in charge, do as we say."
Is Freedom a subsidiary of the Trustees? Who owns the building?

Back
Top Bottom