Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Traitorous Music Thread/Funeral Soundtrack

Wilf

Slouching towards Billingham
We need to celebrate the elevation of Chuckles III. I'll start with a couple of oldies:

I kind of wonder how easy it would be to record and release such a song in 2022. It's really refreshing to hear such ribaldly insurrectionary music - I just can't imagine it being made right now.

I kind of wonder how easy it would be to record and release such a song in 2022. It's really refreshing to hear such ribaldly insurrectionary music - I just can't imagine it being made right now.
Not an opinion I would've expected to see coming from you! I think it's totally possible to record and release such a thing, see Killdren etc, it's just that there's no guarantee of anyone paying any attention to it?

Anyway, been enjoying this tune a bit these past few days:

Not an opinion I would've expected to see coming from you! I think it's totally possible to record and release such a thing, see Killdren etc, it's just that there's no guarantee of anyone paying any attention to it?

Anyway, been enjoying this tune a bit these past few days:

I'm not familiar with Killdren - do they write songs that call for the execution of named members of the ruling class?

Kill Tory Scum is the one I think they got in a bit of trouble for?

well, that's encouraging, though I note they had their set at glastonbury cancelled when the lyrics of their song were noticed and are unlikely to ever be anything more than of extremely fringe interest. McCarthy had their song calling for the execution of Charles Windsor covered by the Manic Street Preachers. Dexy's Midnight Runners sang 'the only way to change things is to shoot men who arrange things' and got in the top ten. It feels to me unlikely that such open calls for political violence could lurch this close to the mainstream today without significant repercussions for the artists involved.

I was going to start a "Let's soundtrack the funeral" thread, but this will do for that kind of thing.

I suggest this, which perfectly captured the union between the Queen and Prince Philip:

well, that's encouraging, though I note they had their set at glastonbury cancelled when the lyrics of their song were noticed and are unlikely to ever be anything more than of extremely fringe interest. McCarthy had their song calling for the execution of Charles Windsor covered by the Manic Street Preachers. Dexy's Midnight Runners sang 'the only way to change things is to shoot men who arrange things' and got in the top ten. It feels to me unlikely that such open calls for political violence could lurch this close to the mainstream today without significant repercussions for the artists involved.
The fact that Killdren are perhaps a little bit less than great musically probably doesn't help on that score. Beyond that... dunno, I'm certainly sometimes prone to thinking of the 90s as a lost golden age (Manics, Rage, Pulp, etc). I feel like this board's probably had plenty of discussion of Sleaford Mods and Fat Whites, dunno if they're that much tamer than the greats of old, or indeed if both of them have now been around for too long to qualify as new music?
I think Kneecap are probably one of the most trendy-new-music-down-with-the-tiktok-kids acts I pay attention to, and they were posting a clip of the BBC announcement edited with one of their songs that starts "guess who's back in the news/it's your favourite Republican hoods", so I feel like all's probably not lost?

I don't really keep up with new grime or drill much, is there any explicit class hatred stuff in that?

ETA: Yeah, checking up a bit more on what Kneecap have been up to recently, I think they're a fair argument that you can still have a career making genuinely edgy/dangerous music:

Last edited:
The fact that Killdren are perhaps a little bit less than great musically probably doesn't help on that score. Beyond that... dunno, I'm certainly sometimes prone to thinking of the 90s as a lost golden age (Manics, Rage, Pulp, etc). I feel like this board's probably had plenty of discussion of Sleaford Mods and Fat Whites, dunno if they're that much tamer than the greats of old, or indeed if both of them have now been around for too long to qualify as new music?
I think Kneecap are probably one of the most trendy-new-music-down-with-the-tiktok-kids acts I pay attention to, and they were posting a clip of the BBC announcement edited with one of their songs that starts "guess who's back in the news/it's your favourite Republican hoods", so I feel like all's probably not lost?

I don't really keep up with new grime or drill much, is there any explicit class hatred stuff in that?

ETA: Yeah, checking up a bit more on what Kneecap have been up to recently, I think they're a fair argument that you can still have a career making genuinely edgy/dangerous music:

Check out Meatraffle

Keep up coming - and there's a Spotify playlist emerging along similar lines ('Hurrah for King Charles!'). :thumbs:

Dexy's Midnight Runners sang 'the only way to change things is to shoot men who arrange things' and got in the top ten.

To be fair though I've heard that song a hundred times and had no idea that was what he was singing.

Similarly, the manics got the line 'this happiness corrupt political shit' played on teatime BBC radio by singing the word 'shit' as if had three vowels in it. Which they probably didn't do on purpose, but more as a result of the lyrics not scanning.

Back
Top Bottom