Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Train help please?

Another vote for 'no'

it's simple - 'London Terminals' does not mean any terminus station in London, it means any London terminus that is covered by the fare to 'London Terminals' to or from the station in question, and it does not cover using the underground to get from one terminus to another (there may be odd special cases where it does)

The Thameslink lines are complicated in that there isn't an actual terminus, but broadly 'London Terminals' from the south will only take you as far as City Thameslink - on the old southern region it used to be 'London SR' which meant you could change trains and go to Victoria / Waterloo / Charing Cross / Holborn Viaduct / Cannon Street.

Not that I've tried to do it, but think a similar ticket from north of the river will only take you as far south as Farringdon.

If and when Crossrail (or whatever it's called this week) opens, there will probably be similar restrictions so you won't be able to do the cross London bit (e.g. East London to Paddington) on the same ticket as would take you to Liverpool Street.

Another vote for 'no'

it's simple - 'London Terminals' does not mean any terminus station in London, it means any London terminus that is covered by the fare to 'London Terminals' to or from the station in question, and it does not cover using the underground to get from one terminus to another (there may be odd special cases where it does)

The Thameslink lines are complicated in that there isn't an actual terminus, but broadly 'London Terminals' from the south will only take you as far as City Thameslink - on the old southern region it used to be 'London SR' which meant you could change trains and go to Victoria / Waterloo / Charing Cross / Holborn Viaduct / Cannon Street.

Not that I've tried to do it, but think a similar ticket from north of the river will only take you as far south as Farringdon.

If and when Crossrail (or whatever it's called this week) opens, there will probably be similar restrictions so you won't be able to do the cross London bit (e.g. East London to Paddington) on the same ticket as would take you to Liverpool Street.
Mornington Crescent.

Mornington Crescent.
Q0jrbMZ.jpg

Taken by me July 2019.

I used to commute on Thameslink coming in from the North for five years on and off and use it for leisure as well. My view was that you could get on an off at any of the stations between West Hampstead and London Bridge. I never had a problem with staff or machines in that time.

I used to commute on Thameslink coming in from the North for five years on and off and use it for leisure as well. My view was that you could get on an off at any of the stations between West Hampstead and London Bridge. I never had a problem with staff or machines in that time.

It would depend what ticket you had

out of curiosity, i've just tried an enquiry on the season ticket calculator for st albans - st pancras.

cheapest is to 'london thameslink' (whatever that means), next is 'london terminals' which does include london bridge, next is london travelcard

i'm sure there is something that explains all this, like just what is permitted when it says 'any permitted' route. i think the document is available for inspection in the basement of an office on Alpha Centauri...

It would depend what ticket you had

out of curiosity, i've just tried an enquiry on the season ticket calculator for st albans - st pancras.

cheapest is to 'london thameslink' (whatever that means), next is 'london terminals' which does include london bridge, next is london travelcard

i'm sure there is something that explains all this, like just what is permitted when it says 'any permitted' route. i think the document is available for inspection in the basement of an office on Alpha Centauri...

It’s all easily available, and not complicated at all to check:

My experience is that London Terminals means the end of the line you are travelling on in London. I once got accosted by a TFL busybody who said I couldn't get exit at a sooner stop with said ticket. Very counterintuitive...

Another vote for 'no'

When 'it's simple' is the start of the 2nd of 5 paragraphs explaining it, it's not simple

More train help needed. Putting 13 year-old on train at Clapham Junction to go to Portslade next Saturday to see cousins. The 0952h is direct but brings up a warning saying "Buses replace trains between Balham and Tulse Hill / West Croydon on Saturday 24 and Sunday 25 July."

Screenshot 2021-07-19 at 08.44.02.png

The fact the warning appears suggests that it affects that specific journey. But the journey goes via East Croydon not West Croydon which is a different route I think?

The 'more information' link takes you eventually to this which is singularly unhelpful as the massive bus icon is sitting right over a couple of routes:

So Urban hive mind - is my daughter's journey going to require a bus or not?

So why do they alert you about engineering works that don’t affect your journey :confused:

Back
Top Bottom