Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Trailer tents

sim667

All aboard the 303 bus.
Ive seen a trailer tent im thinking about buying for the festivals this year (its got no bids on ebay and is about 30 years old so i dont think it will get bid on).....

Its one of the ones were the beds fold out of either side and the canvas in constructed with poles etc........ Like this, but much much older and mankier

conway_challenger_08_01.jpg

ive got somewhere to keep it, and a car with a toe hook, so as long as its mechanically sound and i can get it dirt cheap ill prob buy it

So does anyone have experience of campers like this?

That looks like it'd take off in moderate winds.

When I was growing up we had a trailer tent and all our holidays were in it. Basically the design of the one in your picture but went downt to the ground- more secure & at least one more 'bedroom' under the wing. Two if the design of the thing meant that the towbar stuck out the back rather than being under the other wing. Also had a big awning.

As for festivals- Dunno how they'd classify it- maybe you'd have issues with them letting you into the campsite. Some don't let cars into the campsites, remember, so you'd have to pull it manually. In mud that'd be a nightmare.

Yip - had a very similar one that I bought for a couple of hundred about 13 years ago. It was 4th hand to begin with, but by the christ it was a fantastic tent. Got my moneys worth out of it completely, and you do get a wonderful sense of luxury, expecially at festies :D

Mine had a cooker, couch, table, 2 double beds...still in me shed, waiting for a last inspection before being buried/revived

Go for it :cool:

I do!

Our parent bought one as a means of a cheap getaway round the country when we were young, but without the expense of a caravan. It worked a treat, and as a fan of all things that fold, especially in the camping arena, I thought they were amazing.

Obv's not the poshest of things, but if you're in the snobbery game, then camping's never particularly for you in the first palce, is it? :p

Oh, tip no 1 (and this is going to the very depths of my memories), try and find one with a solid roof. They're much more solid and easier to put up and down.

eg
a_view_of_our_tent_trailer.jpg

Oh, and they're as easy as tents to get into, FYI (though a lot easier to hide stuff).

Obv's not the poshest of things, but if you're in the snobbery game, then camping's never particularly for you in the first palce, is it? :p

Heh, mine was particularly scruffy, and had bbq stains all over it and alcohol splashes. Used to roll up to campsites looking like the fucking Clampetts :D:D

Oh, tip no 1 (and this is going to the very depths of my memories), try and find one with a solid roof. They're much more solid and easier to put up and down.

Oh, and they're as easy as tents to get into, FYI (though a lot easier to hide stuff).

The hard top ones are cheating! :p

I'm selling my camper and getting one sooon!Fed up of the amount of petrol the van uses on short trips while I'm away. You can fit racks to the trailers too to carry bikes, kayaks, whatever...

The one im watching is up to £35......

I was hoping no-one would bid on it, but im tempted.

Why not just buy a nice big tent and put it in your boot/on your roof rack

I'm not sure if the pros outway the cons of trailer tents, unless you drive a fiat500

because then you have to carry it and it weighs a ton.

I cant afford a caravan, i cant afford a camper (got nowhere to put it in the winter anyway) so i thought this would be the best option.....

Why not just buy a nice big tent and put it in your boot/on your roof rack

I'm not sure if the pros outway the cons of trailer tents, unless you drive a fiat500

But you can have a trailer tent up and running within 5 mins, less actually. If you camp a lot, this is a fucking godsend, given the British weather

I have never been inside a trailer tent and totally would love to. A few years ago I came across a folding caravan which folded away like a trailer tent. The couple had bought it for a bargain £100 a few years ago.

because then you have to carry it and it weighs a ton.

I cant afford a caravan, i cant afford a camper (got nowhere to put it in the winter anyway) so i thought this would be the best option.....

The neat thing about trailer tents is that the beds fold out of the tent. You're not sleeping on the floor, some of the better ones have a proper sprung matress and bed frame.

The trailer isn't completely filled with tent either so you can put other stuff in there too, leaving the car empty.

Well the one i was looking at has gone now, but im gonna keep my eyes peeled for next festie season.

Back
Top Bottom