Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Trafalgar Day 21 October

A380

How do I change this 'custom title' thing then?
2ECF42CC-39F2-476B-B92D-DB31C512548B.jpeg

Herts of Oak and all that. 200 and 7 years ago Nelson ( hero to many , war criminal to the Italians) defeated the combined French and Spanish fleets. This put to an end any prospect of Napoleon getting his Army of the North across the channel in the huge flotilla of invasion barges around Boulogne.

What if The Nelson touch had failed. The French would only have needed a couple of days to land in England.

Would that have seen us as part of the French Empire? Would the subsequent 200 years have been better, worse or just different kind of shit?

Urban confides that every poster will do their duty.

Last edited:
nelson the butcher of Naples. Was only reading about that last week.

So would a Pax France been a better or worse 19th century than the Pax Britanica we got - I am being ironic in the terms used.

Slavery would have gone on longer, but India ( the whole subcontinent) might have come off better.

This looks to me like an excellent reason to give us an extra bank holiday

My first thought on seeing this thread was 'what government pillock has proposed this one'? I know we need a bank holiday in the long dreary months to Xmas, but preferably one that doesn't give the nutnuts an excuse to pretend that they valiantly saved the nation through their own efforts in yet another war.

Hence the war criminal in Italy.

Hundreds of years before the Geneva Convention?

Its pretty hard to break rules that are not codified and not written down and everyone thinks the rules are different anyway.

Fun game. Say they above to any deep south rebel-flag shagger about Sherman's Georgia campaign. Stand back and watch them explode, its quite a sight.

Its pretty hard to break rules that are not codified and not written down and everyone thinks the rules are different anyway.

Fun game. Say they above to any deep south rebel-flag shagger about Sherman's Georgia campaign. Stand back and watch them explode, its quite a sight.

I think promising an entire army that was well dug in that if they surrendered to the British Royal Navy rather than their enemies they would be given safe passage with their arms. Then disarming them and handing everyone to their enemies for execution would have been deemed criminal to most, certainly under the existing codes of war.

Whereas, one could argue Sherman’s March to the sea and destruction of Atlanta was just an early example of a legitimate strategy to destroy the enemies war economy and morale. A precursor to area bombing if you will.

I also like to ask if the could cross the road anywhere they liked openly drinking a can of beer to get to a bookies to put a bet on in the land of the free.

I think promising an entire army that was well dug in that if they surrendered to the British Royal Navy rather than their enemies they would be given safe passage with their arms. Then disarming them and handing everyone to their enemies for execution would have been deemed criminal to most, certainly under the existing codes of war.

Whereas, one could argue Sherman’s March to the sea and destruction of Atlanta was just an early example of a legitimate strategy to destroy the enemies war economy and morale. A precursor to area bombing if you will.

There were no codes of war really, just gentleman agreements that were never agreed. These people viewed themselves as noblemen who fought in a noble and fair way. Truth is they were all tyrants who broke their own rules as often as they needed / wanted to. I was mainly musing that 'war crimes' is a loaded term and of limited use historically.

As for Sherman's campaign I agree with you. A brief brutal campaign to terrorise the enemy and break their will to fight now and in the future. Still, I wouldn't necessarily promote that opinion in a biker bar in Bumblefuck Mississippi or indeed most of Georgia itself.

Last edited:
go on then, make the argument

Longstreet's Corp had to position more pickets at the rear than they did at the front. There was more of a risk from desertion than there was from the enemy and a prime reason for desertion was news of Sherman's march and his scourging of Georgia.

Rumour has it that to this day if you say 'heritage not hate' three times Sherman appears and burns your fucking house down.

Last edited:

I would argue that Sherman’s March to the sea and destruction of Atlanta was just an early example of a legitimate strategy to destroy the enemies war economy and morale. A precursor to area bombing if you will.

I would argue that Sherman’s March to the sea and destruction of Atlanta was just an early example of a legitimate strategy to destroy the enemies war economy and morale. A precursor to area bombing if you will.
you would
but you won't it seems

“Hurrah! Hurrah! We bring the jubilee
Hurrah! Hurrah! The flag that makes you free
So we sang the chorus from Atlanta to the sea
While we were marchin' through Georgia”

Sounds a bit like Merlin engines en masse to me.

Back
Top Bottom