Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Track running

platinumsage

HaveMyPassword123
It's started today. Just saw for GB Eilish McColgan flumping her 5000M heat, dropping back to finish outside the top 5 from near the front after she apparently got kicked.

Was watching the women's 100M heats earlier. I enjoying seeing the personal bests listed before each heat, and then seeing whether those times reflect the result and who bested themselves.

Glad I checked before starting an Athletics thread :oops:

Hadn't realised 4 x 400m has never been at the Olympics before. Used to love it in the days of Black, Regis, Akabusi, and then later Baulch and Thomas.

E2A: wait, hang on, it bloody well has been at Olympics before! So what the hell were Steve Cram and the BBC continuity woman talking about?! :confused:

Hadn't realised 4 x 400m has never been at the Olympics before. Used to love it in the days of Black, Regis, Akabusi, and then later Baulch and Thomas.

E2A: wait, hang on, it bloody well has been at Olympics before! So what the hell were Steve Cram and the BBC continuity woman talking about?! :confused:
Presumably they were talking about the mixed relay?

I thought about it but decided one thread for all the athletics was probably a bit limiting since we have a whole forum to play with. They can only do one track race at a time so I figured this was the best way.

I thought it had always been in the Olympics? :confused:

I thought about it but decided one thread for all the athletics was probably a bit limiting since we have a whole forum to play with. They can only do one track race at a time so I figured this was the best way.
Aye, fair enough. Think I was more thinking of it from the other direction - probably not going to be a whole thread for each field event, but might be some individual talking points/stories, etc.

Anyway, back to the running :)

Aye, fair enough. Think I was more thinking of it from the other direction - probably not going to be a whole thread for each field event, but might be some individual talking points/stories, etc.

Anyway, back to the running :)

Yeah a single thread for field stuff happening in the stadium would make sense alongside this one.

Yeah a single thread for field stuff happening in the stadium would make sense alongside this one.
Question: are the jumping events considered track or field? :hmm:

I'm assuming field, but I think I'm getting distracted by the fact that at some point the competitors run do run on the/a track.

Question: are the jumping events considered track or field? :hmm:

I'm assuming field, but I think I'm getting distracted by the fact that at some point the competitors run do run on the/a track.

Field because jumping happens on the green bit in this diagram, and fields are green.

Steeplechase is track even though it involves jumping because the jumping is on the red bit:

Capture.JPG

Not in the Tokyo Olympic stadium where they're about to start the long jump, it ain't! :p :D

View attachment 281271

Anyway, I take the larger point that they don't take place on the 9 racing tracks.

OK, I meant it would be green if it was on the diagram, kindof an outfield, but yes I can see it might be confusing - perhaps I should have just said the track events are on the running tracks. :dude:

Grr just heard the result of the mens 10,000m - didn't even know it was happening! Can't get my head around this Olympic scheduling

400m hurdles is a real tough guy event. Not surprise Akabusi was a good relay runner.

Was it Todd Bennett who was another relay expert?

One of my earliest and still one of my favourite athletics moments was Akabusi overtaking the American 400m winner in the home straight of the 4*400 at the 1991 WCs.

That's one of those where I don't remember it, I remember everyone remembering it. I may have watched it live (I would have been almost 7), but can't remember it.

Sort of on a theme, I could have sworn I remembered a more recent occasion where GBR beat USA in the 4x400m (on the track, so not '97) but a not-so-quick trawl through the records suggests not. I might be remembering the 4x100m instead.

Will just always remember Jamie Baulch, who would basically gun it as soon as he got the baton and then hang on for grim life as his tank ran empty halfway through the second bend :facepalm: :D

One of my earliest and still one of my favourite athletics moments was Akabusi overtaking the American 400m winner in the home straight of the 4*400 at the 1991 WCs.

Aww lovely to see this - especially Derek Redmond looking so happy - can only usually think of him at Barcelona :(:(:(.

I'm really not as up on as athletics as I once was, but at the start of this session I'm pretty sure they said that the women's 100m is the 'big' (they used a different word) event of this game's athletics. Is that a fair assessment? Really cool if it is, given the historic dominance of the men's 100m.

Gutted for Dina. There was a lot of pressure on her, that injury was obviously quite a bad one in hindsight.

Dowden & Giles are through to the semis in men's 800m. Dustin didn't qualify ☹️ he's still young though so plenty of time for him to get to another Olympics. I like to keep an eye out for Giles as he grew up a few streets away from where I live now. The final is on Wednesday I think.

Back
Top Bottom