Where should I spend 2nd night

• Plymouth

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Somewhere else, state where and why

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

dessiato

🇪🇸 my spirit is crying for leaving
At the beginning of July I'll be in Plymouth for one night, possibly two. I am tempted to go to Cardiff, or Bristol, for the second night because Plymouth looks a bit dull.

I don't want to go west of Plymouth to stay. The first night must be in Plymouth, it is not optional.

The nights after Plymouth/Cardiff/Bristol will be in Rickmansworth.

What's your advice on things to do and would you stay in Plymouth for the two nights, or go to Cardiff or Bristol for one of them? Why?

Well, one thing to bear in mind is that Plymouth is surprisingly far from places. It's out on a limb next to Cornwall, so you can't pop to Cardiff without spending a long time on the road. And the road gets VERY busy!

Depends what you like to do. What are you hoping for? There are beaches, the moors, loads of good places to eat. The Barbican is pretty and good for a night out. Who will you be with?

Well, one thing to bear in mind is that Plymouth is surprisingly far from places. It's out on a limb next to Cornwall, so you can't pop to Cardiff without spending a long time on the road. And the road gets VERY busy!

Depends what you like to do. What are you hoping for? There are beaches, the moors, loads of good places to eat. The Barbican is pretty and good for a night out. Who will you be with?
It's only 2 or three hours from Plymouth to Cardiff. I'll be with my wife. We like galleries, but especially beaches. Mountains and moors would not appeal at all. Sitting watching the world go by over tapas and wine is always good.

Plymouth is okay but probably not worth a second night stay. Out of the three I voted Bristol but I could make a case for Exeter, a good halfway spot. Close to the sea at either Exmouth or Dawlish Warren and there are a few nice eating and drinking places by the quay. City centre is full of restaurants.

We like galleries, but especially beaches. Mountains and moors would not appeal at all. Sitting watching the world go by over tapas and wine is always good.

I'd say Bristol, specifically near the harbourside. Apart from several nice eat/drinkeries, there's the Arnolfini gallery, the Tram shed and M shed which contain various multimedia exhibits and half the city museum (the other half is up the Park St hill next to the uni) .. there's also St.Mary Redcliffe church and Bristol Cathedral close by. Should fill a day! Have a good time.

I clicked Cardiff until I saw your itinerary. Stay near Plymouth. In either direction along the coast you have lovely beaches and good places to sit with a drink and watch the world go by. Unless you really enjoy motorway traffic I wouldn't recommend either Bristol or Cardiff on a short trip despite both cities having a lot to recommend them and in the latter case some magnificent beaches close by.

I would obviously suggest everyone comes to Bristol because it's wonderful .... But actually I think @[62] has a good suggestion in Exeter which will probably have everything you want

I think Looe or Fowey might fit the bill if you fancied going slightly west. Exeter is lovely too but I'm not allowed to say that. But *whispers* I went there at Easter and it's very nice, and there is a lovely bit by the river. And Exmouth, which has nice beaches. And tapas bars, actually. I'd tend to avoid Torbay. I love it because it's crap, but I doubt you will!

If you want to battle holiday traffic on the M5 I'm sure it will be lovely when you get there, too, though.

I think Looe or Fowey might fit the bill if you fancied going slightly west. Exeter is lovely too but I'm not allowed to say that. But *whispers* I went there at Easter and it's very nice, and there is a lovely bit by the river. And Exmouth, which has nice beaches. And tapas bars, actually. I'd tend to avoid Torbay. I love it because it's crap, but I doubt you will!

If you want to battle holiday traffic on the M5 I'm sure it will be lovely when you get there, too, though.
Is there a holiday at the beginning of July? Or do you just mean general holidays then?

Is there a holiday at the beginning of July? Or do you just mean general holidays then?
I've always found it ridiculously busy on a Friday. Fridays probably best avoided. But yeah, retired people like the South West and they don't have a schedule, so it can get busy for no particular reason, too. You might be absolutely fine, though. I don't want to put you off!

Not an option but Dartmoor for 2 nights or what about up around the Mendips/Cheddar/Wells. Maybe Plymouth has improved and is worth a night... it's probably fairly cheap.

Bristol is great lots to see and do (fairly expensive!!) but might as well enjoy some great outdoors in summer and if you have a car. Cardiff has a great museum and is worth a visit for the great coastline nearby and nice walkable city centre.

Not an option but Dartmoor for 2 nights or what about up around the Mendips/Cheddar/Wells. Maybe Plymouth has improved and is worth a night... it's probably fairly cheap.

Bristol is great lots to see and do (fairly expensive!!) but might as well enjoy some great outdoors in summer and if you have a car. Cardiff has a great museum and is worth a visit for the great coastline nearby and nice walkable city centre.
I do not intend to do more than the minimum amount of walking.

I'm sailing in to Plymouth on the 4th, staying there overnight before going to Bristol the next day. We'll be there overnight before going to Rickmansworth. Not sure when we'll arrived nor leave but Bristol seems a decent sort of half way stop.

Bristol is the best of the cities - fantastic place, and I hate cities..

Cardiff is out unless you can fly - having lived in Plymouth, and despite driving like a madman with a 4 tonne right foot, I can guarantee you that it will take 5 hours with no traffic. It's July, there won't be no traffic - I'd bank on between 6 and 7 hours...

You should take Mrs D to Bridport/West Bay - about 40 minutes east of Exeter on the A35. Lovely town in Bridport, lovely beaches and harbour at West Bay. It's also on your way to London - lots of nice, pretty A roads rather than the M4...

Back
Top Bottom