Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Thieving bastards in the night - any security advice?

Buddy Bradley

Pantheistic solipsist
There have been a few thefts and other suspicious things going on in the last week where we live (unpopulated end of a small village) - bikes being moved, some bags of wiring nicked, and some chickens taken. And now this morning I found that the new padlock I bought yesterday for the garage has been jimmied and buggered (key snapped off inside).

Next door have dogs outside who bark their heads off if anyone comes near that side of the house, and a motion-sensor spotlight (with no bulb, but they're replacing that).

Anyone have any other security tips for putting off chancers trying things in the night?

Get an alarm. We got done over last summer, cleaned us out and drove it away in our fucking car lol. We got an alarm after that cos we were asleep upstairs during it all.

Hope it's ok mate x

Thanks. So far there's been no suggestion of actually breaking into houses (round here everyone has big plots and lots of outbuildings), but an alarm is a good idea.

connect to electricity supply
remember to disconnect before going there
disclaimer: you'll probably end up in trouble if someone gets hurt

We have shock alarms on our windows and doors, they make a pretty good noise when set off.

For shed / gate alarms, a carefully positioned (out of sight) attack alarm with the pull out bit attached to the doorframe and the alarm attached to the door works perfectly.

I've never had a bike nicked in 50 years of cycling..... until last night when 2 bikes (sadly unlocked) were nicked from our garden which is surrounded by 6 foot wall and has locked gates.

Annoyingly I normally leave my pub bike inside locked shed (where there are several decent bikes and motorbike properly locked up) but yesterday left it outside and together with my son's mountain bike they vanished overnight - possibly whilst I was taking my son to A & E for a food allergy thing. They climbed over the wall and aided by the light which comes on automatically they took 2 of the 4 bikes and presumably let themselves out via the gate. Neighbours heard nothing. Other son heard a car alarm, fireworks and police helicopter....

Reason for the post is - has anyone tried home CCTV ?
http://www.maplin.co.uk/cctv-and-security/complete-cctv-kits/cctv-kits-with-monitor

lights haven't detered them, alarms get ignored for a while, 6 foot walls haven't stopped them and I'm concerned they'll be back and try and get in the shed... I'm considering spending £500 to £1000 on making the shed (25m from house and with electricity) more secure. Any sensible ideas?

Gravel paths and areas round sheds. Impossible to do a stealth approach. Garden pots and tubs slathered with vaseline on the outside. Keeps slugs at bay but also makes them almost impossible to lift and make away with. Thorny shrubs such as Pyracantha (firethorn) and climbing roses. Mermaid is the most vicious variety thorn-wise. Double thorns so anyone trying to climb over becomes hopelessly snagged.

I'm on the lookout for a good value 16 channel internet-enabled DVR - since cameras are cheap and one day I hope to live in the sticks.
Other than that I have PIR lamps front and back, and an alarm.

I got a cctv kit for someone. It was for bird watching rather than security but was really simple to set up. This was just tuned to a telly channel so an older couple could watch garden birds from the comfort of sofa. Could easily be recorded.

Well, if you want to slobber them to death... :D

If you train them to sleep across the threshold no one will ever break in. A Newfie is so lazy that it wouldn't move over to let the theives in.

They also make excellent bedwarmers, but only if you can get them to share the space.

Reactions: Ax^
herd of geese, a dog or a tup or a billy........

apart from loud alarms - set up deal with neighbours to have late nights rota to phone police if an alarm sounds, make sure they are reliable (you can get charged for false activations)

CCTV of the HD type that records "admissable in court" style evidence

Good Luck!

Pit trap. Pressure-activated acid sprays at the bottom, of course. Burglar? What burglar? I see no burglar here! :D

A few of these signs around the perimeter.

1251029_434c7649.jpg

Alarm mines are fucking loud and perfectly legal i lik trip wires would probably set some up in the garden just for the clols

set up camp in the shed for a few nights and wear a 'Friday 13th Jason' mask and brandish a machete,
Wire the doors so as soon as they open they get hit with a floodlight from behind you, then rud at them laughing and hacking at them.

There have been a few thefts and other suspicious things going on in the last week where we live (unpopulated end of a small village) - bikes being moved, some bags of wiring nicked, and some chickens taken. And now this morning I found that the new padlock I bought yesterday for the garage has been jimmied and buggered (key snapped off inside).

Next door have dogs outside who bark their heads off if anyone comes near that side of the house, and a motion-sensor spotlight (with no bulb, but they're replacing that).

Anyone have any other security tips for putting off chancers trying things in the night?
Pit bull. Geese.

/thread

Back
Top Bottom