Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The White Lotus (Sky/Now/HBO)

Jeff Robinson

Marxist-Lentilist: Jackboots and Jackfruit
Aloha! With season 3 now officially confirmed its surely time this brilliant comedy-drama-whodunnit anthology series has its own thread!

If you haven't heard or seen this show, you're missing out - its one of the best pieces of TV for years.

The basic premise is this: The White Lotus is an international chain of luxury Hotels. It's clientele are always wealthy, usually entitled and typically socially dysfunctional. Each season of the show takes place over the course of a week in branch of the White Lotus and centres around the relationships between the hotel guests, the staff and the locals. We find out on the first episode of each season that somebody has died and the who and how is uncovered in the final episode. On one level its a whodunnit, but the drama is so engrossing you forget about it for large chunks of the show. The characters are brilliantly nuanced and the relationships very believable. At times it's laugh out loud hilarious and at others intense, brooding and dark. There's some great satire too. The cinematography, photography and music are probably the best I've seen and heard in TV.

A thread for people's comments, theories and predictions. We have one episode of season 2 still to be released - use spoiler codes! Ciao!

Season one was great, lots of amusing characters. Season two seems to be entirely sex stuff so far, a bit tedious.

I guess I’d just prefer it if the characters weren’t so one dimensional this season. Otherwise it’s hard to care whether anyone is going to get their sex comeuppance or whatever.

Aloha! With season 3 now officially confirmed its surely time this brilliant comedy-drama-whodunnit anthology series has its own thread!

If you haven't heard or seen this show, you're missing out - its one of the best pieces of TV for years.

The basic premise is this: The White Lotus is an international chain of luxury Hotels. It's clientele are always wealthy, usually entitled and typically socially dysfunctional. Each season of the show takes place over the course of a week in branch of the White Lotus and centres around the relationships between the hotel guests, the staff and the locals. We find out on the first episode of each season that somebody has died and the who and how is uncovered in the final episode. On one level its a whodunnit, but the drama is so engrossing you forget about it for large chunks of the show. The characters are brilliantly nuanced and the relationships very believable. At times it's laugh out loud hilarious and at others intense, brooding and dark. There's some great satire too. The cinematography, photography and music are probably the best I've seen and heard in TV.

A thread for people's comments, theories and predictions. We have one episode of season 2 still to be released - use spoiler codes! Ciao!
Has anyone died in series 2? I must have missed it if so :confused:
Second series does pick up after bit of a slower start. It's like a Downton Abbey for the American empire

oh god, i can't believe i missed it. googles, ah yes the woman in the sea. Hasn't been referenced from then on though. I'm thoroughly confused

Wasn't that the same in the first season - a death referenced at the beginning and then the rest of the show is the build-up to that, so you're kept guessing as to who might have done the deed?

I can't decide which season I like best - S1 was so refreshing, S2 follows the same mould/formulae, but with such great cast it still delivers. AND I LOVE THE OPENING MUSIC on S2 (can't remember if it was the same on S1) -it's the only show I don't fast forward the opening sequence. Also like having to wait for a week to watch the next episode. :)

I totally forget it's a who/what done it story though, it's almost irrelevant... (I hate murder mysteries anyway)

Last edited:
Well these responses seem to confirm my claim in the OP that the viewer forgets about the death for large chunks of the show - perhaps all of it in some instances! :D

The show begins with Rocco saying a dead woman has been found in the water and more bodies are appearing.

Been a great series, with its slow but steady and unrelenting build up. Intrigued to find out who dies, obviously not Daphne, probably not Tanya, hopefully not The Gays.

Reactions: MBV
Weirdly I can barely remember any details of S1 even though I enjoyed it. But from what I remember, I think I’m liking this one even more.

I am absolutely loving series 2. I was sceptical because I thought 1 was so brilliant but I think 2 may even be better.

I can't wait to find out what nasty Little Tom Hollander has planned for Tanya. i think thats been a brillaint slow burn that only started to reveal itself with the "Is that the queen of Sicilly?" moment. It's going to break my heart though because although she is iredeemably vile in her own way, she's also so pathetically vulnerable.

Tom Hollander (not much of a spoiler but just in case anyone still finds this to be one) is just fucking great in everything I see him. Always delivers such fantastic villain performances… One of those actors so accomplished that can play disturbingly menacing characters by pure raw talent and despite their small and non-threatening physical appearance. Superb again in this :)

Tom Hollander (not much of a spoiler but just in case anyone still finds this to be one) is just fucking great in everything I see him. Always delivers such fantastic villain performances… One of those actors so accomplished that can play disturbingly menacing characters by pure raw talent and despite their small and non-threatening physical appearance. Superb again in this :)

What a finale!

My standout performances were Aubrey Plaza as Harper and Michael Imperioli as Dominic. Both of their facial acting was extraordinary.

Also

Jennifer Coolidge was incredible when she went full Scarface - weeping uncontrollably whilst mowing down mafiosos :D

What a finale!

My standout performances were Aubrey Plaza as Harper and Michael Imperioli as Dominic. Both of their facial acting was extraordinary.

Also

Jennifer Coolidge was incredible when she went full Scarface - weeping uncontrollably whilst mowing down mafiosos :D

First one was very good, but this is on another level imo. I’ve been telling people who kind of enjoyed S1 but could take it or leave it, or who didn’t finish it to forget about that and jump straight into S2.

White Lotus fans might enjoy the recently released movie Triangle of Sadness.
“A cruise for the super-rich sinks, leaving survivors, including a fashion model celebrity couple, trapped on an island.“

Sounds interesting. I’ll hope to see it when it makes it onto a streaming platform.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom