Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The 'What no Nick Cave at All Points East' thread

bendeus

Bellend Tagline Generator
Did anyone go to this? Saw Psychedelic Furs, followed by Patti Smith, followed by Nick and the Bad Seeds. It was mesmerising. Found the festival pretty chilled and not overcrowded. Bogs decent, bars accessible without too much queuing or fuss throughout the day.

But yeah, the music. The Furs were fun and it was a real pleasure to hear 'Pretty in Pink', long one of my faves, played live, but then Patti. I'd say that had she been followed by any lesser musician than Nick Cave she'd have marched away cackling having stolen the show. Crazy energy, massive stage presence, real conviction and a succession of kickarse tunes, both covers and otherwise. Gloria was a triumph among many others. She's still. fucking. got . it. In barrowloads.

And then Nick. First time I've ever seen him live having waited for a decade and a half to do so. He was everything I hoped for and more. The power and control, the connection with the audience that I've genuinely never seen in another live performer, Kylie(!), the stage invasion, the performance of Girl in Amber that was so raw that made you feel like you were standing alone right in front of him in your pants, the irreverence, the clear and evident need he had to connect, physically, emotionally and sonically (sp?) with the crowd and the absolute virtuosity of him and the Bad Seeds as an outfit: so tight and yet so able to drive through into utter, controlled chaos. And a banging setlist to boot:

"Jesus Alone"
"Magneto"
"Do You Love Me?"
"From Her to Eternity"
"Loverman"
"Red Right Hand"
"Come Into My Sleep"
"Into My Arms"
"Girl In Amber"
"Where The Wild Roses Grow (with Kylie Minogue)"
"Jubilee Street"
"Deanna"
"Stagger Lee"
"Push The Sky Away"

This being Urban someone's bound to be along shortly to tell me he's shit and that he should be flensed for playing Tel Aviv but, did anyone else experience what was, for me at least, the best live music experience of my 45 years, and did anyone feel the same way about the performance?

Everyone tells me he was amazing and the gig beyond awesome. I even watched the crowd on stage video that has been shared everywhere. But I just can't get into his music, dammit!

Everyone tells me he was amazing and the gig beyond awesome. I even watched the crowd on stage video that has been shared everywhere. But I just can't get into his music, dammit!

I'm the same with Bjork, Prince and a number of other artists who are regarded as 'greats'. My condolences, Mike.

I'm the same with Bjork, Prince and a number of other artists who are regarded as 'greats'. My condolences, Mike.
Neil Young is the one for me. I just don't get him at all but I know everyone thinks he's brilliant so he must be. I wasn't a fan of Prince at all, but I got to see him do a secret gig and fucking hell, the musicianship blew me away. Still not a huge fan though.

Neil Young is the one for me. I just don't get him at all but I know everyone thinks he's brilliant so he must be. I wasn't a fan of Prince at all, but I got to see him do a secret gig and fucking hell, the musicianship blew me away. Still not a huge fan though.
It's a strange thing. As you say, you know they must be 'good' in an objective sense due to the reverence they're held in by people with good taste but it doesn't move you one iota.

I was there. Both Cave and Smith were brilliant.

I've seen them both quite a few times now, and Cave never fails to be amazing. Patti can be a bit off at times, but on Sunday she was great. Interesting selection of covers.

I was there too. Been a long-term fan of Patti Smith and found that this set just didn't work for me. Maybe my music taste is (finally) evolving, but I didn't get into it like I normally do.

The Furs were fantastic, though.

I was there too. Before the Furs I saw Nadine Shah and Baxter Dury, both of whom were decent. When the Furs came on there was some sound problems, which were soon sorted out. Loved the way they did the crowd-pleasing hits, but then finished with India to please the purists like me.

Missed the beginning of Patti Smith, but was disappointed she didn't do Because the Night, instead of one of the covers.Still a great performance.

Nick Cave was brilliant, nothing to add to what's been said above.

Yeah me too. I just don't get it. I don't doubt that everyone loves the music and enjoyed his performance, but I really don't see it.
Bummer.

Exactly this for me as well.

Brilliant show!!!! He kept things soulful and intense, digging into the back catalogue. Ritualistic now and then, and quite bluesy, done with wry humour. Patti was great too. The venue was baking in hot sunshine with flags, flowers and food stalls, just like the pics Mr Bishie posted (thank you!) It was perfect.

Back
Top Bottom