Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Urban Writing Thread

Are you in?

• Total voters
Does that mean we have to register a new account each month if we're going to stick with the anonymous thing?

:D :D

I think it would be better to leave it open, no number of words limit, and both prose or poetry

I would enter if I felt inspired by the theme and had no limits imposed in terms of the number of words. Some themes might inspire someone to write a novel! Why restrict them? (also anyone who can write a novel in month deserves some form of recognition!!!)

I reckon if we were to do a no-limit contest then we'd have to do it with a longer deadline than one month.

My topic is:

Transformations

(And yes, I have a story in mind, which I've been thinking of writing for a while :p)

So that's the theme for July, upon which we are to write no more than 3000 words which are themselves to be submitted, in the correct order, before the 25th of July?

Presumably creating four dozen aliases and entering something different by each of them is frowned upon?

You just make a blogger.com account and then I believe you can sign in, just like with the urban film review thingy.

You don't have to have a blogger account - you can post anonymously as long as anonymous comments are enabled. That is, you'd create a post introducing the competition, outlining the rules and saying what this month's theme is, then every can post their stories/poems in the comments section.

So that's the theme for July, upon which we are to write no more than 3000 words which are themselves to be submitted, in the correct order, before the 25th of July?

Presumably creating four dozen aliases and entering something different by each of them is frowned upon?

yes it is. clearly states one submission per poster in the opening post.
we must abide by the spirit of the rules :hmm:

You don't have to have a blogger account - you can post anonymously as long as anonymous comments are enabled. That is, you'd create a post introducing the competition, outlining the rules and saying what this month's theme is, then every can post their stories/poems in the comments section.

Ah OK - I'll do that then :)

May one suggest, being a writer by trade, published in the short story genre and, given that this is a blog and not on Urban, that we bump up the word limit to 3000 words or less (nobody has to use all 3000 words, obviously) as 1500 isn't always enough to make for a really meaty story?

Like I said,m nobody need actually use 3000 words, but it does make for a little more in the way of creative freedom if the opportunity to do so is available.

:hmm:
Hmm, how about we just submit a novel each every month! :p

:hmm:
Hmm, how about we just submit a novel each every month! :p

Writing 3000 words is no great effort to anyone who really wants to write, you know.

If you've got a decent story idea, one that really fires your imagination and makes you want to get it all down on paper, then 3000 words isn't that much to play with.

I once wrote 20000 words in one all day/all night session.

Writing 3000 words is no great effort to anyone who really wants to write, you know.

If you've got a decent story idea, one that really fires your imagination and makes you want to get it all down on paper, then 3000 words isn't that much to play with.

god, I'm not playing anymore.

Thats about 1000 words an hour, with reasonable toilet, food, fag breaks.

1000/60 = 16-17 words a minute.

bum tits arse fish cock dick fat woman open palm kung fu bum work no way that is white bit of alright

Theres 22 words, and I reckon I typed that in about 45 seconds. You call yourself a real writer bakunin?

indeed. I've only ever written (very bad) poetry so if i manage to scrape together 500 coherent words it will be a triumph.
if people want to write masses and masses of stuff then let them. doesn't mean they'll get that toblerone.

Thats about 1000 words an hour, with reasonable toilet, food, fag breaks.

1000/60 = 16-17 words a minute.

bum tits arse fish cock dick fat woman open palm kung fu bum work no way that is white bit of alright

Theres 22 words, and I reckon I typed that in about 45 seconds. You call yourself a real writer bakunin?

Why, Sir, you have impugned my professional credentials and thus questioned my honour!

*Slaps Jon-of-arc round the face with a silken glove*

'I demand satisfaction!'

Why, Sir, you have impugned my professional credentials and thus questioned my honour!

*Slaps Jon-of-arc round the face with a silken glove*

'I demand satisfaction!'

I like to slap with an iron gauntlet. That way satisfaction is a bit more instantaneous

I like to slap with an iron gauntlet. That way satisfaction is a bit more instantaneous

Although I'm reliably informed that viciously planting a steel toecap in the clinkers provides both instant incapacitation of any opponent, while giving the ultimate in thuggish satisfaction.

Jonathon, in between defiling slices of toast you might like to google the phrase 'upper limit'

:confused:

I was infering from the statement that the upper limit was 3000, and that lower amounts were allowed, that there was no lower limit? Apart from 0, obviously. I did distinguish between the two concepts...

Back
Top Bottom