Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The universe really did come from nothing

uperkurk

In quantum mechanics if you have nothing, you'll always have something. The first law of thermodynamics states that energy can't be created nor destroyed.

If you add up all the positive energy in the universe and then all the negative energy in the universe created by gravity you'll find that the total energy of the universe is zero. Which means that there didn't need to be any energy for the universe to be created.

The problem with religion is it falls so far behind that when you try to explain this stuff to someone who believes in god, they think you're talking nonsense.

The universe is flat, the universe is accelerating faster than the speed of light which doesn't violate general relativity. In 100billion years the universe will be expanding so fast that any future intelligent life that may form will look up into the sky and all they'll see is their own galaxy because the universe is expanding so fast, the distance that light travels in 1 year, the universe expands 5x the amount.

For anyone interested in this I implore you to watch this lecture by Dr Lawrence Krouss who is a highly distinguished in theoretical physics and cosmology. Lectured in the best universities around the world.

It really will change your understanding of what you may or may not think the universe is.

Well it's simple, when you lift something up, you're using positive energy, the negative energy that is pulling it back down is gravity. So you're using positive energy to overturn negative energy.

Gravity is negative energy.

Well it's simple, when you lift something up, you're using positive energy, the negative energy that is pulling it back down is gravity. So you're using positive energy to overturn negative energy.

that sounds like something crystalenergyusing hippies would say. if you're right, you're way over my head :D

If we have a tug of war. I'm pulling you towards me, so that must be positive energy. And you're pulling it back, so that must be negative energy.

But we're both using the same forces?! :eek:

Not only does energy cancel out, but if you add up all the positive charge of particals, then all the negative charge of particals, you get exactly zero charge.

This means that it is absolutely possible for the universe to have been created when absolutely nothing, no space, no dimensions... abolutely nothing existed.

If we live in such a universe, it gives credible evidence to the multiverse theory. Is it a coincidence that everything cancels out to exactly zero? No it isn't, the reason why? Is because the universe requires 0 energy to exist.

If we have a tug of war. I'm pulling you towards me, so that must be positive energy. And you're pulling it back, so that must be negative energy.

But we're both using the same forces?! :eek:

This is actually a great analogy. Yes we are using the same force but what happens if you pull with a force of 20kgs? and I pull with a force of 20kgs? The total energy becomes zero, we cancel each other out.

My mouse will not rise off my table unless I use some positive energy, so my mouse is being held to the desk by let's say -5newtons, it will require exactly 5newtons to make the mouse weightless. 6newtons of energy and the mouse will start rising upwards and upwards.

So when you take this example to universal proportions, the gravity holding the planets, stars and galaxies in place cancels out to all the positive energy such as supernova, the energy emitted from the sun ect.

This is actually a great analogy. Yes we are using the same force but what happens if you pull with a force of 20kgs? and I pull with a force of 20kgs? The total energy becomes zero, we cancel each other out.

My mouse will not rise off my table unless I use some positive energy, so my mouse is being held to the desk by let's say -5newtons, it will require exactly 5newtons to make the mouse weightless. 6newtons of energy and the mouse will start rising upwards and upwards.

So when you take this example to universal proportions, the gravity holding the planets, stars and galaxies in place cancels out to all the positive energy such as supernova, the energy emitted from the sun ect.

Nearly :)

If the energy becomes zero, why has our rope just snapped?

It snaps obviously due to the tension. The energy exerted by you relative to you is +20kgs, the energy exerted by me relative to me is is also +20kgs. But you're pulling one way and I'm pulling the other, so my +20kgs of energy is actually negative to you. So the energy being exerted in total between us is zero.

The only reason the rope snaps is because it can't take that kind of force. Gravity in Earth's eyes is negative, gravity is pulling on the Earth, it's only when you go to the Earth's core that the gravity becomes zero.

It's important to know that not every object has a direct cancellation. But using scientific measuring instruments and years of research scientists have discovered that for all of the positive energy in the universe, there is an equal amount of negative energy and they can say this to within 1% accuracy.

Considering the size of the universe, that is an amazing feat.

This is actually a great analogy. Yes we are using the same force but what happens if you pull with a force of 20kgs? and I pull with a force of 20kgs? The total energy becomes zero, we cancel each other out. .....
But I am very good at tug of war! I usually win!

As to the universe, forces may balance to zero but that does not explain matter or antimatter except only in relation to what forces they may have.

And this business that the universe came from nothing!

As I understand it, the universe is expanding, the rate of expansion is at the moment increasing and this suggests that the universe once was small and now is expanding. However this expansion is working against gravity which over time acts to bring celestial bodes closer together.

It could be that gravity might over the very long term cause expansion to reduce and eventually for contraction to occur and this contraction again over billions and billions of years could reduce the universe to a tiny compressed lump of matter.

Indeed, perhaps the cycle of the universe might be explosion followed by expansion followed by expansion slowing and changing to contraction resulting in a mass, a lump of all matter, followed in some way by the repeat of the explosion and expansion stage again and again.

you appear to have ignored the fact that the universe's expansion is accelerating, or does your theory make space for this?
Was that addressed at me?

I did write :
..... the universe is expanding, the rate of expansion is at the moment increasing .....

..... However this expansion is working against gravity which over time acts to bring celestial bodes closer together.

AAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGH :facepalm:
True, actually. Because the universe is expanding everywhere, the rates add up. Light emitted from the most distant matter will never reach us, because the cumulation of expansion of the space in between adds up to more than the speed of light.

In fact, as expansion continues, galaxies that we can currently see will disappear from the sky, as the last light that was emitted from them before their relative receding speed reached light speed reaches us.

True, actually. Because the universe is expanding everywhere, the rates add up. Light emitted from the most distant matter will never reach us, because the cumulation of expansion of the space in between adds up to more than the speed of light.

But just because we cannot detect light from distant galaxies does not mean they are not there, or give us any idea of just how many there are out there, perhaps many many universes, perhaps unlimited numbers.

But then, what are they expanding into?

But just because we cannot detect light from distant galaxies does not mean they are not there, or give us any idea of just how many there are out there, perhaps many many universes, perhaps unlimited numbers.
Indeed. This limitation on what we can, or will ever be able to, makes things very difficult for us!

Indeed. This limitation on what we can, or will ever be able to, makes things very difficult for us!
If there is life out there, it probably is so far away we couldn't reach it in a lifetime of space travel at presently maximum possible speed. Even if it wanted us to come visiting in the first place of course.

expanding faster the speed of light, yes there are parts of the universe moving away from one another faster than light will move between them. is the speed of light accelerating?

If there is life out there, it probably is so far away we couldn't reach it in a lifetime of space travel at presently maximum possible speed. Even if it wanted us to come visiting in the first place of course.
Very true. However, there's nothing stopping us (ok, so the details need working out but) copying our minds into machines that have no qualms about waiting 1,000 years to get somewhere :)

Very true. However, there's nothing stopping us (ok, so the details need working out but) copying our minds into machines that have no qualms about waiting 1,000 years to get somewhere :)
Hope you are thinking about more advanced machines than we currently have, I would hate to have my mind entrusted to my henry hoover :D

Back
Top Bottom