Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Trip -- new Coogan/Brydon vehicle

kabbes

First intersubjective, then internalised
This was simply brilliant. A just about perfect blend of undercurrent, understatement and understanding. If you didn't see the first one, get to iplayer ASAP. I think it's a series people are going to end up talking about for years.

I enjoyed it, but it's another one of those low-key, referential comedies that's a little too popular at the moment.

Not laugh out loud, but it sucked you in. Brydon and Coogan are a bit too uncomfortably similar to their real life personas (and past characters) really - it's one of those programs you find yourself cringing at times at, yet there's a bit of a sympathetic streak there too

I'll be watching the next one mind, but I think classic's overblowing it a bit. It's a bit too knowing and familiar

They spent what seemed like 1/3 of it doing impressions, which was too long... But I think it has potential!

I laughed when Coogan put on Atmosphere in the car. The critics are slating it, "wanky" has been used.

They were near Dunsop Bridge.

"Dunsop Bridge sits at the entrance to the spectacular Trough of Bowland, a narrow, steep-sided valley formed at the end of the last ice-age."

http://www.visitlancashire.com/site/destination-guide/dunsop-bridge

The 'Forest of B' is the whole area encompassing all the hills in that area

They were nearer Clitheroe than Dunsop Bridge. the clue being in the bit where they say 'near Clitheroe'

Having grown up in the forest, I do know where it is, ta :)

They were nearer Clitheroe than Dunsop Bridge. the clue being in the bit where they say 'near Clitheroe'

Having grown up in the forest, I do know where it is, ta :)
The restaurant was the Inn at Whitewell, about 2km from Dunsop Bridge and 10km from Clitheroe. Coogan made the ref to the Trough when he'd gone off in his car somewhere and on the phone, presumably actually in the Trough like.

except the worst place to get a signal would be in the trough, because, as the name implies, it's in a trough, and the signals shit.

it's just funnier being in the 'trough', made for the better joke

I laughed when Coogan put on Atmosphere in the car. The critics are slating it, "wanky" has been used.

Coogan's character is certainly 'wanky', as per usual ;) but that's why it's good to watch.

Well, he's playing himself, but I assume he's not being his real self... Or maybe he is really like that.

The critics are slating it, "wanky" has been used.

every review I've seen has been fairly kind to it. Tho they do tend to be in places which eschew the subtlety purveyed by using a word as rich in textual fluidity as 'wanky'

You what I might like to see . . . The Trip show combined with Coach Trip in the afternoons; Coogan and Brydon as part of Brendon's happy campers flock, performing daft tasks and exploring the cheapest Eastern Europe has to offer in a snug little bus.

I thought it was bloody boring to be honest. Two blokes showing off and being self indulgent as far as I could see. I only watched it to the end because we had our wedding reception at the Inn at Whitewell 20 years ago. We go back for lunch a couple of times a year. Never paid £90 for lunch though!

I also thought it was dull. Coogan's character is entirely vile and unlikeable - without being intriguingly dastardly, and Brydon's isn't sympathetic enough to keep me interested.

I was disappointed and turned off halfway though. Two people I really like have made something crap, or 'wanky' if you like

Self indulgent self referential wanky pish, that do ya belboid. And most importantly for a 'comedy', about as far from funny as The Inn at Whitewell is from London.

I thought it was enjoyable gentle comedy.

I believe that's Coogan playing himself. From what I have heard/read, he actually is (self-confessedly) a bit of a nob in real life.

Pretty funny, worth it for the impressions alone, Brydon's ageing Michael Caine was class!, as was his Richard Burton!:)

Back
Top Bottom