Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Outdoorsy "Sofa".

I was idly looking at stoves the other day and spotted a bargain on Ebay, an ex-rental MSR Whisperlight for about half the price of a new one with a fuel bottle included. I bought it on Wendesday and it turned up this morning, so I've been pissing about with that instead of doing more important stuff :facepalm: :D

Seems to work well on both gas and liquid fuel, so will be handy for colder camps.

I was idly looking at stoves the other day and spotted a bargain on Ebay, an ex-rental MSR Whisperlight for about half the price of a new one with a fuel bottle included. I bought it on Wendesday and it turned up this morning, so I've been pissing about with that instead of doing more important stuff :facepalm: :D

Seems to work well on both gas and liquid fuel, so will be handy for colder camps.

I had one of them for years. It's quite cool you can use petrol in them, but it doesn't half make a mess.

I don't normally splash out on waterproof trousers, normally get the basic Berghaus ones for £40 to £50. My are wetting out and I've got two trips to Scotland coming up so went online shopping. Found a pair of Mammut's for £70 down from £140. Hoping it's a nice improvement.

I bought an MSR Whisperlite from Field & Trek in Gloucester in about 1991 - used it for years, and then went to gas stoves because they're lighter, cleaner etc...

Dug it out of the loft over Christmas, had to replace all the seals in the pump, but had it roaring like a mad thing up on Stiperstones, and realised how much I'd missed it - pain in the arse, but that roar is incredibly comforting.

New shinys...

Made a bit of a new years resolution to get out a bit more, and to get the kids out with me rather than it being me on my tod, so I put myself in the market for a tent that would take them, and that I would be able carry because they are idle buggers and I'll end up lugging all their crap as well as mine.

I settled on the Nordisk Oppland 2 SI. 3 pole tunnel tent. 3kg, 40D flysheet with 3000HH, and a 150D Groundsheet with 10,000HH.

Took it for a pitch out on Titterstone Clee - 500m, very exposed, good views out to the Black Mountains, Brecon Beacons, mid-Wales, and up to the Berwyns. Cold, and windy...
IMG_20240304_121149041_HDR.jpgIMG_20240304_132436109_HDR.jpgIMG_20240304_123424706_HDR.jpgIMG_20240304_123928915_HDR.jpgIMG_20240304_124206209_HDR.jpgIMG_20240304_125416607_HDR.jpgIMG_20240304_124832758_HDR.jpgIMG_20240304_123720600_HDR.jpgIMG_20240304_131650374_HDR.jpgIMG_20240304_134417687_HDR.jpg
The inner is properly a 2 person job - 2 adults with wide mats, big sleeping bags and loads of crap - it's also easy to detach. I'll definitely pitch it without the inner, rather than together, and then lob it up later - it's dead easy, and I found it easier to put the foot print down after the out was up, and the put the inner up on top of the foot print. The footprint is a non-conventional job: instead of a plastic sheet it's 3mm foam - it's much bulkier, but it gives a lot more protection, and obvs it's a lot warmer. A trick learned from the BAS in South Georgia - it's brilliant.

It moves about much more than a geodesic, which may take a bit of getting used to, but pitching is pretty easy, and when I've got used to it should be pretty quick.

It actually came with enough pegs for all the guylines, which was a surprise - the supplied pegs are the yellow ones at 15cm(ish), and I've got some others - 20cm Y shaped aluminium, and some V shaped titanium ones.

RRP is about £550, managed to get it from Uttings in Norwich for £330...

Get a few Deltapegs for the guy lines, makes a massive difference :thumbs:

delta-ground-anchor-peg-pegging-540.jpg

New shinys...

Made a bit of a new years resolution to get out a bit more, and to get the kids out with me rather than it being me on my tod, so I put myself in the market for a tent that would take them, and that I would be able carry because they are idle buggers and I'll end up lugging all their crap as well as mine.

I settled on the Nordisk Oppland 2 SI. 3 pole tunnel tent. 3kg, 40D flysheet with 3000HH, and a 150D Groundsheet with 10,000HH.

Took it for a pitch out on Titterstone Clee - 500m, very exposed, good views out to the Black Mountains, Brecon Beacons, mid-Wales, and up to the Berwyns. Cold, and windy...
View attachment 414689View attachment 414690View attachment 414691View attachment 414692View attachment 414693View attachment 414694View attachment 414695View attachment 414696View attachment 414697View attachment 414698
The inner is properly a 2 person job - 2 adults with wide mats, big sleeping bags and loads of crap - it's also easy to detach. I'll definitely pitch it without the inner, rather than together, and then lob it up later - it's dead easy, and I found it easier to put the foot print down after the out was up, and the put the inner up on top of the foot print. The footprint is a non-conventional job: instead of a plastic sheet it's 3mm foam - it's much bulkier, but it gives a lot more protection, and obvs it's a lot warmer. A trick learned from the BAS in South Georgia - it's brilliant.

It moves about much more than a geodesic, which may take a bit of getting used to, but pitching is pretty easy, and when I've got used to it should be pretty quick.

It actually came with enough pegs for all the guylines, which was a surprise - the supplied pegs are the yellow ones at 15cm(ish), and I've got some others - 20cm Y shaped aluminium, and some V shaped titanium ones.

RRP is about £550, managed to get it from Uttings in Norwich for £330...

That looks a beast to carry. How much does it weigh?

I'm guessing less then a Vango Force 10.

That looks a beast to carry. How much does it weigh?

I'm guessing less then a Vango Force 10.

It's 3kg, I'm used to geodesics at 4kg, so it's an improvement in weight and space terms, but we'll have to see how I cope with the tunnel tent wobble.

They do a much lighter version - 2kg - but given that my children are clumsy as fuck, I thought a tent made of cling film would be asking for trouble....

That's pretty impressive. I got a smaller tunnel recently to replace my 20 year old semi geo, probably a bit heavier and a bit smaller. I'm thinking more for canoe camping though. I've not done a true wild camp for a long long time. I figure it I go with a small day pack, I can probably cover what I'd do in two days with an exped one. My partner is more keen on the idea, but much like your kids, I know who will end up carrying most of the stuff.

Got taken a bit by suprise today. In Scotland and it's a bit damp with no snow where we're staying. Forecast didn't sound great, bit of wind etc, might have mentioned -15 windchill. Got to near the top of Ben More and it turned into something else. Whiteout conditions, those strong winds, slippery under foot. We managed to submit but decided it was the only Munro being done today. So cold like you wouldn't believe. Let's see what's its like tomorrow...

IMG-20240308-WA0000.jpg

IMG-20240308-WA0001.jpg

Thinking of buying these for car camping next year. My OHs mat no longer holds air, so need something, and the idea of being off the ground appeals. Sounds like they can also be used with a mat, so if not super comfy can get her a cheap one to go on top. As they are £54 or two for £70 I'll get myself one as well.

Oh that's a shame. I always preferred their ethos and way of doing thing compared to the BCU (or British Canoeing as I think they're called). Not used the insurance for years, but they were spot on when we had to use them Morocco many years ago. There was the terrible rebrand a few years ago, but at least they listened in the end.

Does anyone use trekking poles?

I bought some because I've been suffering hip pain after hiking, but having used them over the weekend, they definitely slowed my pace. It was noticeable on downhill sections, which is kinda the point I suppose cos I do tend to plod down with a heavy step, but even though I thought I was walking at a normal pace the rest of the time, it took me about 40 mins longer than usual for a hike I do semi-regularly.

Great that I have no hip pain today, just foot pain in one foot, but not great if it's going to add extra time to each hike.

Back
Top Bottom