Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Old Cafe takes over the former Ray's Jazz cafe - and it's great!

editor

hiraethified
IMG_20150305_170316.jpg

So happy to see that the old charm of Ray's Jazz cafe has been recaptured in this new venture in the old premises on Charing Cross Road.

I used to like Ray's cafe but the corporate shiny thing that opened up in the new Foyles building is awful.

The new cafe is run by a lot of people involved in the old one and if feels nice relaxed and laid back. Food and coffee is good too. Thumbs up!

View attachment 68429

So happy to see that the old charm of Ray's Jazz cafe has been recaptured in this new venture in the old premises on Charing Cross Road.

I used to like Ray's cafe but the corporate shiny thing that opened up in the new Foyles building is awful.

The new cafe is run by a lot of people involved in the old one and if feels nice relaxed and laid back. Food and coffee is good too. Thumbs up!
Nice.
I'm increasingly disappointed by the new shop, and missing the quirky old building. In fact I'm spending more time in Waterstones (Piccadilly) with its lovely seating...and even giving stinky old Dillons more visits!

The Jazz bit in the new shop is not good; half the time I can hear bloody classical stuff wafting along from the hair-twiddling end.

Posted a piece here:

old-cafe-charing-cross-road-02.jpg

old-cafe-charing-cross-road-05.jpg

A fantastic cafe for central London: The Old Cafe takes over Ray’s Jazz in the former Foyles store

Looks good!
Whereabouts is it in Charing Cross Road, from the photos it looks like it's upstairs somewhere - is it over one of the shops?

Nice.
I'm increasingly disappointed by the new shop, and missing the quirky old building. In fact I'm spending more time in Waterstones (Piccadilly) with its lovely seating...and even giving stinky old Dillons more visits!

The Jazz bit in the new shop is not good; half the time I can hear bloody classical stuff wafting along from the hair-twiddling end.
Dillons? That brand disappeared from the UK high street years ago.

This sucks.
We are now closed until further notice. We are looking for new premises. We will keep looking until we find something. Thank you to all our loyal and wonderful customers and all of you that helped make The Old Cafe a really cool place to hang out. We will miss you all. Please drop us a line if you think of a site/location for us. We are ready to move into any place that's appropriate.
On another note we will be documenting our journey as The Old Cafe and would appreciate any snippets of anything that could be part of our publication. This could be a thought, a feeling, part of a dissertation a student would have written, a poem, a book, drawings and sketches..... Anything that The Old Cafe meant to you, or anything created in the Old Cafe.The list is endless. It can be large or small. We will attempt to get a pamphlet/book published and all submissions will be included. Please email news@theoldcafe.co.uk with anything you have.
Many thanks in advance.
Also we will be documenting the circumstances surrounding our untimely eviction, this will be published in a local paper. Any photos taken recently or thoughts about it will be used/quoted, so also looking forward to receiving those too.
All help hugely appreciated, and please drop us a line if you come across a site or think of an area that would suit us, and we will be there........ (If we can)
Thank you to you all for your support and custom, we will miss you greatly.

Back
Top Bottom