Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Last Of Us 2

Am I the only one who found the first overrated? :hmm: Yeah, the story is good, but the gameplay is too repetitive. (I think I'm nearly at the end.) When I say games are too long these days, this is the sort of the thing I mean.

Am I the only one who found the first overrated? :hmm: Yeah, the story is good, but the gameplay is too repetitive. (I think I'm nearly at the end.) When I say games are too long these days, this is the sort of the thing I mean.
It should only take about 15-20 hours, at most, to finish Last of Us. It's certainly not the shortest game out there, but it is not long at all.

Looks very pretty/bloody but just the same (boring) sneak around, throw a bottle to distract, stab something as the first game. :D

It's fucking beautiful. The detail is incredible. The little chips of snow in the paths that you leave, the glitter on icy surfaces.
Completely seamless flow from gameplay to cinematics.
The utterly real dialogue and interaction that we now expect as standard from Naughty Dog but that are one of the main things that lift their games above others.
They're going to have to do something really stupid to fuck this up. They won't.

It's fucking beautiful. The detail is incredible. The little chips of snow in the paths that you leave, the glitter on icy surfaces.
Completely seamless flow from gameplay to cinematics.
The utterly real dialogue and interaction that we now expect as standard from Naughty Dog but that are one of the main things that lift their games above others.
They're going to have to do something really stupid to fuck this up. They won't.
Keep us updated.

So, couple of pro tips, then some observations. First though, general impression 9 hours in:

I fucking love it.

Pro Tips
1. Search everywhere. If you aren't in imminent danger of being attacked or dying, take your time because

2. No, you might not be able to go back. So if there's something that you need to do a thing and you can't find it, do not press on thinking you'll be able to come back. Look, properly.

3. You don't have to kill everything. No, really. Avoiding and running away cost less ammo and are less likely to get you killed. Remember that dropping humans doesn't get you that much ammo back a lot of the time, but think about the environment they are in, is there likely to be lots of loot around them? Choose your battles.

Observations:
The pacing is one of the things I like most. Long periods of searching around, crafting stuff, building relationships. Then sometimes short intense encounters or long drawn out ones. Never know what you're going to get.
Music is ace and used to build tension really well in all the right places.
It looks beautiful. Did I mention how beautiful it is?
It's darker. We all knew it would be but Christ it can be brutal. However, they balance it with other elements, so it's not overwhelming. Well, yet.

If you liked the first one, this really is more of the same, but I mean that as a positive, because what Naughty Dog excel at is the story - and as you can see from the two posts above, this does not disappoint. If you don't like their take on combat and just want to go in all guns blazing, this isn't for you. There's plenty of death to deal out though, never fear.

For me though it's all been beautifully balanced so far.
Plus you can pet a dog. 10/10

Still 10/10?

Ah, that was a "You can pet the dog" joke.
Not sure any game should really ever be 10/10 because that would mean it was perfect, which I doubt anything is.
But I'd definitely give it 96% and it only loses 4% because of a couple of random graphics glitches*, plus combat definitely won't be to everyone's taste** and
me running a baddy down in my boat at like 3 miles an hour should never have worked and was one of the most tragic things I've ever seen in a video game :D

Edited to add:
*which affected gameplay not one jot and were almost certainly mostly due to me spinning around like a twat
**and I don't just mean the lack of all guns blazing, just their whole approach. I love it, but I know plenty will find it annoying

Last edited:
Couldn’t even finish the first one. Too much sneaking.
too bad, as it had a great story.

The TV show will be better. :D I had another shot at the first one again tonight, but after getting killed a few times, gave up again.. It's just not that much fun to play IMO.

The TV show will be better. :D I had another shot at the first one again tonight, but after getting killed a few times, gave up again.. It's just not that much fun to play IMO.
it's scary as fuck though and you're really invested in the characters. I just wish you could skip the hard bits to progress the game, like you can with some.

it's scary as fuck though and you're really invested in the characters. I just wish you could skip the hard bits to progress the game, like you can with some.

It's not scary at all IMO. Dead Space 2, Alien Isolation and RE7 (in VR) are examples of scary games. You can flip the difficulty to easy, which makes a lot of the game just that.

It's not scary at all IMO. Dead Space 2, Alien Isolation and RE7 (in VR) are examples of scary games. You can flip the difficulty to easy, which makes a lot of the game just that.
I always play on easy and I still can't get past one bit. Scariest game experience ever is the sound of chainsaws revving in Resident Evil 4. Still chills meto the bones

I always play on easy and I still can't get past one bit. Scariest game experience ever is the sound of chainsaws revving in Resident Evil 4. Still chills meto the bones

Which bit you stuck at? I have Uncharted 4 ( got it for free). Always wonder whether it's worth giving that a shot..

Which bit you stuck at? I have Uncharted 4 ( got it for free). Always wonder whether it's worth giving that a shot..

Do it, still great acting and story but action hero stuff and genuinely funny too. Way more guns blazing. Would be better if you'd played the first three because then your invested in the characters, but it's still a great game as a standalone

Back
Top Bottom