Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Islamic state

brogdale

Coming to terms with late onset Anarchism
A rare report from within the world's newest state...

VICE News reporter Medyan Dairieh spent three weeks embedded with the Islamic State, gaining unprecedented access to the group in Iraq and Syria as the first and only journalist to document its inner workings

"I say "caliphate"...you say "established"!

'kinnel; can't see their tourist industry taking off very quickly.

There were 5 Vice News videos posted on the Iraq thread. I watched them, a bit too much beheading for my liking, and as one might expect it seems women don't feature in IS's thinking much.

They may well be displaying a level of brutalism unseen much since the days of the Genghis Khan or Nazi Germany, but they probably do have a point about Sykes-Picot. More and more I think that global capitalism is leading us all into distopia. The West carved up the world to suit it's own ends and of course some other people are well fucked off about it. Can't we try and wean ourselves off our dependence on Middle-Eastern oil? That may entail not driving our stupid cars around so much or something, but surely that is better than the alternative?

We live in the crucible. In fact we all do. If only there was someone or something worth getting behind. What is wrong that there isn't?

They may well be displaying a level of brutalism unseen much since the days of the Genghis Khan or Nazi Germany, but they probably do have a point about Sykes-Picot. More and more I think that global capitalism is leading us all into distopia. The West carved up the world to suit it's own ends and of course some other people are well fucked off about it. Can't we try and wean ourselves off our dependence on Middle-Eastern oil? That may entail not driving our stupid cars around so much or something, but surely that is better than the alternative?
Oil? Wtf has oil to do with isis?

I suppose the French invaded Egypt for the oil a century before it was discovered. There are more things than oil in this world. Reducing the middle east to oil is a handy way to go wrong.

True, but it is certainly the case that concerns for the exploitation, security and strategic importance of the region's oil reserves have been the predominant driver of imperialist policy, interference and military action for well over a century. The resentment fuelled by such metropolitan hegemony is obviously one pillar of the impetus underpinning militant Islamism.

Who needs oil when the Rosetta Stone is up for grabs?

A013477.jpg

well, the IS's internal communications have just got more vunerable, the UK is operating the RAF RC-135 'Rivet Joint' Signals Intelligence aircraft over Northern Iraq. based at RAF Akrotiri in Cyprus.

however, no one on the beach at Akrotiri has seen any big, black, glider-looking aircraft with very small USAF markings take off and land there, oh no indeed...

personally, from what i see of the IS - even adding a good pinch of salt to the media diet - they are an enemy, an implacable, serious enemy of humanity (in any of the definitions of the word), and i'd take the view that fighting them, rolling them up and utterly destroying them is nothing less than an absolute duty for anyone who wants to call themselves civilised, or humane, or who professes any concern whatsoever for those under them or near them. no ifs, buts or maybe's - i don't care what caused them, or facilitated them, i just see a group deliberately impose the most frightening, barbaric, murderous conditions on utterly innocent, defenceless people.

...they are an enemy, an implacable, serious enemy of humanity (in any of the definitions of the word), and i'd take the view that fighting them, rolling them up and utterly destroying them is nothing less than an absolute duty for anyone who wants to call themselves civilised, or humane, or who professes any concern whatsoever for those under them or near them. no ifs, buts or maybe's - i don't care what caused them, or facilitated them, i just see a group deliberately impose the most frightening, barbaric, murderous conditions on utterly innocent, defenceless people.

Could substitute the word capitalists for IS, and the analysis would still work?

I'm thinking that folk like the alcohol sellers shown in the IS gaol might well require that the state looks at work-related re-training grants...unless they just behead them.

Seems to be their answer to most things. Caught worshipping another God - beheading. Caught selling alcohol - beheading. Caught wearing a loud shirt in a built up area during the hours of darkness - beheading. Walking around with an offensive wife etc...

Seems to be their answer to most things. Caught worshipping another God - beheading. Caught selling alcohol - beheading. Caught wearing a loud shirt in a built up area during the hours of darkness - beheading. Walking around with an offensive wife etc...
well, the population of the world is nearing it's upper limit as far as numbers are concerned :hmm:

Reactions: Mab
Tbf those big black aircraft have not been flying from akortiri for years.
We asked the non exsisting americans if they were CIA they were very cagey.
So we said only want to ask you one question?
Whats that
Who offed jfk :D

Back
Top Bottom