Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The incredible low light abilities of the Huawei P30 /P30 Pro

i'd be interested to see some comparison shots from your Ricoh, because yeah, the low light performance is ace, but everything has that soft cameraphone look to it...

i'd like to see that tech in something with a decent bit of glass on the front of it.

i'd be interested to see some comparison shots from your Ricoh, because yeah, the low light performance is ace, but everything has that soft cameraphone look to it...

i'd like to see that tech in something with a decent bit of glass on the front of it.
These are taken from my Google Photos app so they've been compressed a bit. I think the bottom two are pretty damn sharp given that it's 3 in the morning. I'm not even shooting at the daft 40MP resolution either!

But regular cameras need to get this tech on board and fast.

It's the software behind these super high performing low light phones that really makes them - all the anti shake, merging of shots and smart enhancement. It would be great to see that sort of thing incorporated in cameras but camera manufacturers are not good in that direction unfortunately.

There is also that the phones rely on relatively static scenes. I've not yet seen a good example of a moving subject in the test shots on the net. I may be wrong but there's only a certain amount you can compensate for if you simply don't have the shutter speed. So street photography at night, sports in low light and so on, you still need a fast lens and high ISO for.

It's the software behind these super high performing low light phones that really makes them - all the anti shake, merging of shots and smart enhancement. It would be great to see that sort of thing incorporated in cameras but camera manufacturers are not good in that direction unfortunately.

There is also that the phones rely on relatively static scenes. I've not yet seen a good example of a moving subject in the test shots on the net. I may be wrong but there's only a certain amount you can compensate for if you simply don't have the shutter speed. So street photography at night, sports in low light and so on, you still need a fast lens and high ISO for.
Yes, I'd never attempt to take sports scenes at night with the phone but there's no question that it can take outstanding static night shots - certainly miles better than my old Nikon D300 could manage.

When I get chance I'll have a fiddle about with the manual settings and see what can be done.

I never usually get a top of the range phone, but this one has definitely got my attention. Question - how long do these units usually stay on sale for. I'm not looking to upgrade till around October. Any indication if it will still be available?

I never usually get a top of the range phone, but this one has definitely got my attention. Question - how long do these units usually stay on sale for. I'm not looking to upgrade till around October. Any indication if it will still be available?

Well you can still buy the p10 which is a few generations old.

It often seems like they deliberately kill off the previous generation phones. I find them hard to get hold of.

I guess it's just running stocks down. I'd be cautious of buying anything to old due to updates, but obviously this will be supported and available for a good while yet. Decided I can't justify one financially this year, but hopefully should be some good savings next year.

Good piece here

The best smartphone for imaging right now? Probably.
The P30 Pro isn't just a very good camera phone, however. It's also very nice to use as a general device. The body design with its rounded display edges and smooth lines looks and feels premium. Thanks to the high-end chipset there are no performance lags whatsoever and Huawei's EMUI user interface is much less cluttered than it used to be on previous device generations, making for an overall very pleasant user experience.

No other smartphone camera offers as much flexibility in terms of focal length and framing
The camera is this device's unique selling proposition, though, and it does deliver. No other smartphone camera offers as much flexibility in terms of focal length and framing. That doesn't mean that the zoom system is perfect, but it is the best you can get on a smartphone right now.

One month with the Huawei P30 Pro

So not specifically about low light but it's a thread about photography on the P30. It's a bloody good camera that's infinity better then my Nokia 8, but maybe I'm expecting to much. Still early days and I'm finding my way round it, but don't remember having to do that with my S8. However I'm trying to remember that may be partly because I think the S8 had a better OLED, but it's photos seemed more "vivid" with less faff. That said it was only tonight that I let the AI do its thing, annoyingly I'm not a proper photographer so suspect I don't have the right language. A lot of colours seem washed out, even when the light is really good.

These are some I'm quite happy with.

IMG_20190516_110731_resize_4.jpg IMG_20190517_180558_resize_91.jpg IMG_20190517_172835_resize_98.jpg

This is where it shines. Low light and moving. My dog being a bit naughty.

IMG_20190516_171435_resize_87.jpg

Underground photo. Not low light, but by torch light. Not bad, but S8 had a real edge here.

IMG_20190517_121041_resize_41.jpg

Thanks. I like your one with trees and rain.

I must have a play, seeing as I like taking pictures, but these are mostly taken when running, feel I'm already faffing to long when I should be actually moving. Took loads today, the light was just so good. What's interesting is that the other two look great on the phone screen, but just fired up the chrombook and they look really lacking. Don't know if that's litphoto being to aggressive in hows it resizing or the wide angle lens just isn't as good.

Back
Top Bottom